The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, cory40 said:

All we are saying is in a couple years if Dhalin was offered for Hughes you would walk away, And that is why it is sometimes a blessing to not pick first over all....cough cough Yakapov…. We got Pettersson last year and how does that look, If he turns out to be the best player in the draft you could say Canucks fortunes have changed. BTW a players value is usually way higher when at the draft then when he has played a year or two.

Not arguing at all but it is far too early to make that assessment,  I do see it as a possible outcome, but I need to see it happen.  

Thats all. 

9 hours ago, tas said:

hayton was one of the players benning would have taken over hughes. 

So proof or just pulling stuff ot if thin air. 

Poll question... Would anyone on the CDC trade Hughes of Hayton??  

Especially when considering team need. 

Anyone?   Bueller... Bueller...

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I have to say that watching Hughes I had the same reaction that I did watching Petersson last year.  I was actually at Bure's first practice with the Canucks at Brittania rink and his first game at Pacific Coliseum, and that was the same reaction as well.  I am not sure how to feel because all 3 of those players do things that superstars can only do.  The take over, use skills beyond those around them, and make you want to watch.  Other than Naslund, the Sedins magic, maybe Gradin but I am too young to remember, there are not many Canucks, let alone prospects, that have made me feel that way.  It's like you are checking your lottery numbers and you have the first 5 and your friend says you have the sixth, but the power went out and you won't know right away.  You want to believe it and you kind of do, you just don't want to get too excited and be let down.

Hughes and Pettersson both play like point guards.  Force multipliers who also drive the net. 

Watching the shift-by-shift video of him against Team Canada you can definitely see that Hughes still needs a lot of work in the D-zone. There was one goal where he was completely at fault because he drifted away from his player in front of the net for an easy tap-in. There was no reason for that to happen at all as he should've been covering his man. He was obviously looking to breakout too soon.The other two goals he was on I don't believe were his fault at all. One was basically a goal the goalie absolutely must have had. The third goal he almost had his man tied up but once again the goalie had to have that.

In one case, Hughes lets his man blow by him through the neutral zone on the rush. Could've easily been a breakaway. In another instance he was being pressured by a fore-checker, and with multiple safe tape-to-tape options he chooses the most dangerous option of going through the fore-checkers stick and ends up turning over the puck. Obviously nothing to complain about with his offensive game but definitely needs to clean it up in his own end.

Also with the whole thing about drafting Jack Hughes. It would obviously be a dream to have this happen but I'm not too hopeful. The great thing about this upcoming draft is that it seems to be very heavy in good centres. Based on their stats they all seem like they could easily go in the top 15. I'm not sure how they compare defensively but this could be a very deep draft. 

43 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I know which quote he is referring to. It was based on a quote where Benning implied that they had the same players just in different orders. Personally I wouldn't make the trade and I don't think anyone on this forum would have said so either. I personally was focusing on Dobson myself but I wasn't really focused too much on Hughes as I had expected him to be gone. Either way I'm cheering for both Hughes and Dobson to do well. Never really liked Bouchard and of course with him going to the oilers it's just one more reason I hope he busts.

48 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I don't have proof, I have inference, and I already posted it in this thread. go read. 

9 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

DET head coach Blashill was team USA headcoach at world's and Hughes also played college in their back yard.. 

Blashill said Hughes gets away with a lot which he won't be able to at the NHL level.   Clearly they were concerned with Qs defensive game.  

Good thing.  A dynamic game changing player like this doesn't come along often. He can be great but only IF given the freedom and flexibility to play his style..  over coaching may ruin his career. 

Glad he's back at college for a year to get stronger and work on his defensive game.. he needs at least one more year of development in college then maybe half a season in Utica. 

I would not rush him at all..  it's very difficult for a dman to make the jump to NHL at 18 or 19 years old.  Let him ripen and develop properly..  

Quinn Hughes is only back in college because both he and JB know Quinn would make us lose a shot at his brother.  Like you say, Quinn is a unique player.  

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't have proof, I have inference, and I already posted it in this thread. go read. 

I remember that quote, and Benning was saying they also only had "a couple" of guys ahead of Hughes, which points to Dahlin and Svech.

I posted this list a while back but this is how I perceived the list to be after all the interviews i've heard.

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Hughes
Zadina
Kotkaniemi
Tkachuk
Hayton

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

I remember that quote, and Benning was saying they also only had "a couple" of guys ahead of Hughes, which points to Dahlin and Svech.

I posted this list a while back but this is how I perceived the list to be after all the interviews i've heard.

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Hughes
Zadina
Kotkaniemi
Tkachuk
Hayton

I think we had Hughes second, only after Dahlin.  However, after watching Hughes play over the next couple years, people will be saying, “That Quinn Hughes should have gone first.”

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think we had Hughes second, only after Dahlin.  However, after watching Hughes play over the next couple years, people will be saying, “That Quinn Hughes should have gone first.”

Not sure about that but I sure hope your right.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

Watching the shift-by-shift video of him against Team Canada you can definitely see that Hughes still needs a lot of work in the D-zone. There was one goal where he was completely at fault because he drifted away from his player in front of the net for an easy tap-in. There was no reason for that to happen at all as he should've been covering his man. He was obviously looking to breakout too soon.The other two goals he was on I don't believe were his fault at all. One was basically a goal the goalie absolutely must have had. The third goal he almost had his man tied up but once again the goalie had to have that.

In one case, Hughes lets his man blow by him through the neutral zone on the rush. Could've easily been a breakaway. In another instance he was being pressured by a fore-checker, and with multiple safe tape-to-tape options he chooses the most dangerous option of going through the fore-checkers stick and ends up turning over the puck. Obviously nothing to complain about with his offensive game but definitely needs to clean it up in his own end.

Also with the whole thing about drafting Jack Hughes. It would obviously be a dream to have this happen but I'm not too hopeful. The great thing about this upcoming draft is that it seems to be very heavy in good centres. Based on their stats they all seem like they could easily go in the top 15. I'm not sure how they compare defensively but this could be a very deep draft. 

I’m really hopeful that he’s forced to become more engaged defensively playing in Michigan this year.

He’s going to be a #1 all-situation-type defensemen this year. All he really needs to do his learn to keep his stick active and on the ice, improve his gap control, and be more sound positionally in his own zone. For someone with his skating and hockey IQ, these should be easy things to develop and will likely come naturally with more experience and playing time. Offensively, he’s already one of the best at his age and better than 90% of players older than him. Once the defensive game is here (even partly) he will be just fine. His D-game doesn’t even have to be great, just okay

1 hour ago, westcoastsniper said:

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Hughes
Zadina
Kotkaniemi
Tkachuk
Hayton

The wording of the question implied "other than the top 2," was there anyone else who, if they had dropped to them at 7, would have made the decision difficult. the answer was there were 2 guys, and then benning started talking about the difficulty of trading for centers and the need to draft and develop them yourself (without another question being asked first).

the 2 centers drafted ahead of hughes were kotkaniemi and hayton.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, tas said:

The wording of the question implied "other than the top 2," was there anyone else who, if they had dropped to them at 7, would have made the decision difficult. the answer was there were 2 guys, and then benning started talking about the difficulty of trading for centers and the need to draft and develop them yourself (without another question being asked first).

the 2 centers drafted ahead of hughes were kotkaniemi and hayton.

I rewatched that clip and realized something else. Actually he didn't really infer that he had 2 centres in front of Hughes. He inferred that he realizes that Hughes dropped because "other" teams need to draft your own centre ice men (hence why Arizona and Montreal had to reach to select Hayton and Kotkaniemi). 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2