The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not saying Dahlin plays the same game as Hughes. I'm saying he has what Hughes can do in his repitoire. Hughes is all flash and dash on offense because that's what he excels in and will have to likely do to stand out in the NHL. Dahlin has much more to his game, but if he wants to get into that same Hughes gear, he is well capable of doing so. This is what I meant by Dahlin being able to do what Hughes can, plus the rest of his complete game.

As for dynamic skating (Hughes has a lower center of gravity allowing him to be a bit more shifty) and playmaking (the fact he has a shot makes his passing even more threatening as defenders will have to guess more on what he might do), his highlight packages clearly show he has those skills in his arsenal. I think Dahlin can get the same amount of highlight reel plays without trying all game to accomplish them.

Plus even if Hughes can put up more points and is more flashy, I wonder how fans will feel if he's coughing up pucks and allowing odd man rushes going the other way (of course barring him improving on this aspect). I ask this because in the game vs Canada, he had coughed it up a few times, leading to penalties or scoring chances going the other way. Some were recovered, but it's going to be costly if not worked upon. This is also a reason why I believe he needs a true stay at home dman to let him excel in his game.

Yeh Quinn didn't have his best game ,But it was only one game, Hughes is a stud on defense and in a league of his own, All defensemen at times cough the puck up. Your reading a lot into Hughes but this I say he has finish something Dahlin totally lacks and scoring points something he also lacks Hughes out performed Dhalin and will continue to do so over his entire career. I wonder how fans will feel when they realize Dhalin wasn't the best defenseman in the draft?

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Plus even if Hughes can put up more points and is more flashy, I wonder how fans will feel if he's coughing up pucks and allowing odd man rushes going the other way (of course barring him improving on this aspect). I ask this because in the game vs Canada, he had coughed it up a few times, leading to penalties or scoring chances going the other way. Some were recovered, but it's going to be costly if not worked upon. This is also a reason why I believe he needs a true stay at home dman to let him excel in his game.

If he doesn't get better defensively I wouldn't be opposed to converting him to forward to make our attack even more balanced and deadly. 

• Wat 2

58 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not saying Dahlin plays the same game as Hughes. I'm saying he has what Hughes can do in his repitoire. Hughes is all flash and dash on offense because that's what he excels in and will have to likely do to stand out in the NHL. Dahlin has much more to his game, but if he wants to get into that same Hughes gear, he is well capable of doing so. This is what I meant by Dahlin being able to do what Hughes can, plus the rest of his complete game.

As for dynamic skating (Hughes has a lower center of gravity allowing him to be a bit more shifty) and playmaking (the fact he has a shot makes his passing even more threatening as defenders will have to guess more on what he might do), his highlight packages clearly show he has those skills in his arsenal. I think Dahlin can get the same amount of highlight reel plays without trying all game to accomplish them.

No, I understood exactly what you were/are saying and I disagree with you.   I 100% disagree with what I bolded above - I watched RD a LOT and he does not have a Hughes gear - sorry, that simply isn't true.   He is a tremendous Dman and probably the best to enter the NHL since Hedman BUT he does not have Hughes' wheels, creativity or simply the brain to push the offense.   He is wired for the entire rink (200 feet of it too) and not the O-zone almost exclusively.

I do not think at all Dahlin will be able to have as many "highlight reel plays" at all.   Sorry, we have followed the player differently and the player I watched many times (including more than a dozen times live) simply isn't what you are saying he is.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Yeh Quinn didn't have his best game ,But it was only one game, Hughes is a stud on defense and in a league of his own, All defensemen at times cough the puck up. Your reading a lot into Hughes but this I say he has finish something Dahlin totally lacks and scoring points something he also lacks Hughes out performed Dhalin and will continue to do so over his entire career. I wonder how fans will feel when they realize Dhalin wasn't the best defenseman in the draft?

Even if it wasn't his best game, his style of play is going to lead to those plays going the other way often unfortunately. If it's happening at the junior level, it will surely happen more at the NHL level as a young dman.

By "finish", do you mean putting up points or scoring goals? It's been quite clear that Dahlin has a shot in his arsenal and Hughes lacks there. Dahlin put up 20 points in the men's league in Sweden as a 17 year old defenseman. Hughes has had a brief stint against men and put up 2 points in 10 games. I say a bit bold to be suggesting that Dahlin totally lacks in that department.

If Dahlin is not the best dman in the draft and I assume the suggestion is Hughes will be better, then great for us. If Dahlin is better than Hughes, well that's how the draft played out. Honestly is there some insecurity that some fans need to believe that we have picked the best player in every draft? There's nothing wrong with not having the best dman/player in the draft, we just need to make sure to develop our players to our needs and utilize them to our strengths.

33 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No, I understood exactly what you were/are saying and I disagree with you.   I 100% disagree with what I bolded above - I watched RD a LOT and he does not have a Hughes gear - sorry, that simply isn't true.   He is a tremendous Dman and probably the best to enter the NHL since Hedman BUT he does not have Hughes' wheels, creativity or simply the brain to push the offense.   He is wired for the entire rink (200 feet of it too) and not the O-zone almost exclusively.

I do not think at all Dahlin will be able to have as many "highlight reel plays" at all.   Sorry, we have followed the player differently and the player I watched many times (including more than a dozen times live) simply isn't what you are saying he is.   

I'll take your word for it since you have seen him far more than I have.

I look at a package like this though (only two months worth of footage in the men's league) and I see him making rushes and sifting through players much like we expect Hughes would. If that's not the Hughes gear, then I guess Hughes will be outright incredible offensively to outdo Dahlin based on what little I've seen him be capable of.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I look at a package like this though (only two months worth of footage in the men's league) and I see him making rushes and sifting through players much like we expect Hughes would. If that's not the Hughes gear, then I guess Hughes will be outright incredible offensively to outdo Dahlin based on what little I've seen him be capable of.

People have called Dahlin the best D prospect since Potvin? 

It may be a lot to think Hughes is as good or better offensively, if only there? Its fun that its being talked about though!  And I have to admit being excited by Quinn!

I love Dahlin more than most and he is an amazing player, but man I don't think we missed out that much as I initially thought. This Hughes kid is the real deal, and very well may be just as good as Dahlin, maybe even better. Yeah it's a long shot, but the fact it's even possible is amazing. Please never let Jim go, he will have us competing for years with his drafting ability

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

People have called Dahlin the best D prospect since Potvin? 

It may be a lot to think Hughes is as good or better offensively, if only there? Its fun that its being talked about though!  And I have to admit being excited by Quinn!

Oh believe me, I'm excited too. My comments aren't to knock on Hughes' abilities. I was very impressed with how he would put the game in his hands. I just find it funny with all this talk about how Hughes has the potential to be better than Dahlin after we have drafted him. It's a very Toronto-esque. I'm not really sure what Hughes has done in between the draft (pretty certain it was clear cut who was the best dman up to that point) and now to warrant this discussion.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

My new favourite quote (from the Sporting News):

“He’s going to be that type of player that young kids try to emulate — that they want to be, that they strive to be — but it’s going to be very difficult to duplicate what he does,” Wroblewski said. “With this guy, he’s another generational-type talent, and he’ll be an influence on defensemen for years to come. I truly believe that.”

Wow. Quite a glowing endorsement 

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Oh believe me, I'm excited too. My comments aren't to knock on Hughes' abilities. I was very impressed with how he would put the game in his hands. I just find it funny with all this talk about how Hughes has the potential to be better than Dahlin after we have drafted him. It's a very Toronto-esque. I'm not really sure what Hughes has done in between the draft (pretty certain it was clear cut who was the best dman up to that point) and now to warrant this discussion.

Hahaha!

My own admission is that I wanted Boqvist.  But to be fair to me? My observation was Quinn Hughes was a lot more NHL ready, a lot more polished. Boqvist raw. I did not pay so much attention because I did not believe Hughes, a Michigan native, would drop passed Detroit. A very safe bet based on his advanced play in the NCAA and WC's.

Adam Boqvist had a lot of maturing to be where Hughes is. I just saw raw natural speed & athleticism. And the howitzer of a shot, from such a small body! Wrister and cannon.  To me he had potential to be the water beetle Hughes is, also like Patrick Kane, who no one can stop. But also had, possibly even better, Kanes shot! 

I'll wonder for a long time if AB, will catch up??? (I'm also terrified that he landed in Chicago). 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hahaha!

My own admission is that I wanted Boqvist.  But to be fair to me? My observation was Quinn Hughes was a lot more NHL ready, a lot more polished. Boqvist raw. I did not pay so much attention because I did not believe Hughes, a Michigan native, would drop passed Detroit. A very safe bet based on his advanced play in the NCAA and WC's.

Adam Boqvist had a lot of maturing to be where Hughes is. I just saw raw natural speed & athleticism. And the howitzer of a shot, from such a small body! Wrister and cannon.  To me he had potential to be the water beetle Hughes is, also like Patrick Kane, who no one can stop. But also had, possibly even better, Kanes shot! 

I'll wonder for a long time if AB, will catch up??? (I'm also terrified that he landed in Chicago). 

Not that I disagree with anything, but Hughes is from Orlando and grew up in Toronto! Just goes to school in Michigan.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Bandwagon38 said:

Dahlin is the whole package while Hughes is an offensive weapon that needs the perfect complimentary partner.  Dahlin will be very selective when to push the play while Quinn looks for it almost every rush.  Q needs a solid stay at home d-man with him. (Tanev, Edler or Tram). Quinn’s ultimate success will be in his pairing while Dahlin is complete.

You have watched zero games he has played I'm assuming? I'm serious , you could not be more wrong.  He does NOT always look to jump up on every play. That is not his MO at all. He is extreamly smart and picky of when he moves down . Sorry dude , ur waaaaay of base there . Dahlin is not more selective at all. 

Edited by cuporbust

6 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I thought it was a little fishy when Kotkaneimi's ranking jumped in the last couple of weeks before the draft when it became clear the Montreal was likely to select him 3OA.  I could accept him at 10-12 but not 7.  There is no way that Montreal fans would have accepted a reach like that.  Bergevin has painted himself into a corner with respect to the centre position.

I don’t think Kotkaniemi was that big of a reach at 3. It’s not like he came out of nowhere as he was a projected top 5 pick before the season started. I think limited exposure overseas had him slip in initial rankings and off many of our radars until late. But Kotka did put up a solid season in Finland on par with Jesse Puljujarvi’s while playing a premium position.

7 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I don’t think Kotkaniemi was that big of a reach at 3. It’s not like he came out of nowhere as he was a projected top 5 pick before the season started. I think limited exposure overseas had him slip in initial rankings and off many of our radars until late. But Kotka did put up a solid season in Finland on par with Jesse Puljujarvi’s while playing a premium position.

I'm just glad they reached far enough to let Quinn fall to us . Lol . I still can't believe it . If I was a betting man , I'd put money on Hughes being a much more valuable player when all is said and done . 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

I'm just glad they reached far enough to let Quinn fall to us . Lol . I still can't believe it . If I was a betting man , I'd put money on Hughes being a much more valuable player when all is said and done . 

Couldn’t agree more. I thought Kotka was a top 6 talent in this draft. The big reach was Zona with Hayton. They made it all possible for us to walk away with Hughes!

3 hours ago, cuporbust said:

If I was a betting man , I'd put money on Hughes being a much more valuable player when all is said and done . 

I think teams go by area of need sometimes when drafting, even bypassing BPA. Montreal needed a C prospect who could be a top 6 C in the NHL. They are hoping that Jesperi can become that. He is a well rounded C prospect from what I have heard.

Hughes, is a dynamic offeensive undersized D. Has the wheels and dangles to wow you but he is most likely never going to be that polished 2 way defender. Teams lacking an offensive D like us would swing for the fences and hope his frame doesnt hurt him down the road. He also does not possess a quality point shot. What Quinn lacks in his shot and D zone play he makes up for with his offensive flare.

The way I see it:

Montreal- drafted for an area of need and bypassed a high end LW in Zadina to hopefully draft a future in their mind #1C in the NHL, an big hole in their organization.

Canucks- Drafted the  flashy offensive D in Hughes, filling our biggest need. We would have loved him to have more size and possess a RHS and be that well rounded 2 Way D. But we swung for the fences in hopes his speed and hands are going to bring us a dynamic point producing D man. 

Time will tell how well these 2 develope at the NHL level. Going to be tons of pressure on both kids when they start off their NHL careers

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Couldn’t agree more. I thought Kotka was a top 6 talent in this draft. The big reach was Zona with Hayton. They made it all possible for us to walk away with Hughes!

Imagine if we took Hayton at 7 over both Hughes and Zadina. Coyote fans must be furious. If there's actually any out there lol

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I think teams go by area of need sometimes when drafting, even bypassing BPA. Montreal needed a C prospect who could be a top 6 C in the NHL. They are hoping that Jesperi can become that. He is a well rounded C prospect from what I have heard.

Hughes, is a dynamic offeensive undersized D. Has the wheels and dangles to wow you but he is most likely never going to be that polished 2 way defender. Teams lacking an offensive D like us would swing for the fences and hope his frame doesnt hurt him down the road. He also does not possess a quality point shot. What Quinn lacks in his shot and D zone play he makes up for with his offensive flare.

The way I see it:

Montreal- drafted for an area of need and bypassed a high end LW in Zadina to hopefully draft a future in their mind #1C in the NHL, an big hole in their organization.

Canucks- Drafted the  flashy offensive D in Hughes, filling our biggest need. We would have loved him to have more size and possess a RHS and be that well rounded 2 Way D. But we swung for the fences in hopes his speed and hands are going to bring us a dynamic point producing D man. 

Time will tell how well these 2 develope at the NHL level. Going to be tons of pressure on both kids when they start off their NHL careers

Just because he's so gifted offensively doesn't mean he lacks defence. He is actually a very good defender. The kid is dangerous, and I believe will win a Norris or 2, maybe 3 in his career

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

Just because he's so gifted offensively doesn't mean he lacks defence. He is actually a very good defender. The kid is dangerous, and I believe will win a Norris or 2, maybe 3 in his career

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Compared to his offense, he’s pretty mediocre defensively. Not bad, but not good either. But his issues on defense are relatively simple fixes (most of it can be solved by keeping his stick down and keeping his mind set on defensive positioning when I’m his own zone). He just needs more expierence playing and his defense will improve. But let’s not pretend he’s an amazing defender in his own zone right now. It will come, just not yet. 

I remember Erik Karlsson was 24 years old winning Norris Trophies and his defensive game was still pretty bad. Is much better now, but it just goes to show how long it can take to develop that side of the game. There’s a reason why defensemen usually take longer to develop that forwards, and it’s because play without the puck can mostly only be learned the hard way: getting burned in game situations and learning from your mistakes. 

• Upvote 2