The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'll take your word for it since you have seen him far more than I have.

I look at a package like this though (only two months worth of footage in the men's league) and I see him making rushes and sifting through players much like we expect Hughes would. If that's not the Hughes gear, then I guess Hughes will be outright incredible offensively to outdo Dahlin based on what little I've seen him be capable of.

Still not sure you are reading anything I post and just picking what you want - I will try one more time.   Dahlin is special and the best D prospect for some time to come to the NHL.   I would pick him ten times out of ten over any other Dman in this or any of the past ten drafts.    

All that being said, he is not as offensively dynamic as Quinn Hughes at this point of their respective careers.   Part of this is likely due to Dahlin's incredible maturity of Dzone responsibility and part of it is that Hughes is simply the better skater and perhaps the best skater of any position since McDavid coming to the NHL.   I have watched Dahlin more than Hughes.   I wanted Dobson for two reasons - one I thought he was the best option after Dahlin/Hughes and two I was confident that both would be gone (I didn't factor in Arizona, Montreal and Detroit doing what they did).   

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Even if it wasn't his best game, his style of play is going to lead to those plays going the other way often unfortunately. If it's happening at the junior level, it will surely happen more at the NHL level as a young dman.

By "finish", do you mean putting up points or scoring goals? It's been quite clear that Dahlin has a shot in his arsenal and Hughes lacks there. Dahlin put up 20 points in the men's league in Sweden as a 17 year old defenseman. Hughes has had a brief stint against men and put up 2 points in 10 games. I say a bit bold to be suggesting that Dahlin totally lacks in that department.

If Dahlin is not the best dman in the draft and I assume the suggestion is Hughes will be better, then great for us. If Dahlin is better than Hughes, well that's how the draft played out. Honestly is there some insecurity that some fans need to believe that we have picked the best player in every draft? There's nothing wrong with not having the best dman/player in the draft, we just need to make sure to develop our players to our needs and utilize them to our strengths.

Uh, you are not helping your case by comparing exhibition/regular games from the WHC with NHL players and SHL games.    Not sure why it is so important to you that everyone agrees that Dahlin is the better prospect as I don't see ANYONE saying otherwise.   However, you will get disagreement in terms of pure offense and skating as even scouting reports by people NOT CDC Toronto Homers (or whatever you were calling everyone) noted Quinn as being the most dynamic offensive Dman in the draft and perhaps for many years.   Some are even using a "generational" term as he plays the game so "differently".   Dahlin is far more traditional but excels at that traditional play.   

I don't agree with many who think Quinn will be outstanding defensively.   I think he will be a bit of an adventure throughout his career, likely improving in that regard a LOT but never being thought of a Chris Tanev clone (LOL).   I also think he will bring people out of their seat as much as any player in the league by the time he is firmly established as a 22-25 year old.   I don't think you need to be from Toronto area (guilty) to be able to project that.  :)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Still not sure you are reading anything I post and just picking what you want - I will try one more time.   Dahlin is special and the best D prospect for some time to come to the NHL.   I would pick him ten times out of ten over any other Dman in this or any of the past ten drafts.    

All that being said, he is not as offensively dynamic as Quinn Hughes at this point of their respective careers.   Part of this is likely due to Dahlin's incredible maturity of Dzone responsibility and part of it is that Hughes is simply the better skater and perhaps the best skater of any position since McDavid coming to the NHL.   I have watched Dahlin more than Hughes.   I wanted Dobson for two reasons - one I thought he was the best option after Dahlin/Hughes and two I was confident that both would be gone (I didn't factor in Arizona, Montreal and Detroit doing what they did).   

Quinn Hughes is more offensively dynamic because he takes more risks than Dahlin. Plus Quinn’s edge work and his ability to gain momentum in tight spaces allows him to manipulate the play like few other players in the world. 

Dahlin does literally everything else better. And that’s not a bad thing for Hughes. He’ll probably cost less long term, which is the key to team success

3 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Quinn Hughes is more offensively dynamic because he takes more risks than Dahlin. Plus Quinn’s edge work and his ability to gain momentum in tight spaces allows him to manipulate the play like few other players in the world. 

Dahlin does literally everything else better. And that’s not a bad thing for Hughes. He’ll probably cost less long term, which is the key to team success

Pretty much exactly what I have been saying.   Dahlin's brain isn't wired to take those kind of chances and that makes him ultimately a more complete package at this stage of their development.   Dahlin is an amazing player and the best player available at the last draft without question.   He is not the most dynamic offensive player at this stage of his development in his draft class and that may never happen for him due to his brain and his skating.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hahaha!

My own admission is that I wanted Boqvist.  But to be fair to me? My observation was Quinn Hughes was a lot more NHL ready, a lot more polished. Boqvist raw. I did not pay so much attention because I did not believe Hughes, a Michigan native, would drop passed Detroit. A very safe bet based on his advanced play in the NCAA and WC's.

Adam Boqvist had a lot of maturing to be where Hughes is. I just saw raw natural speed & athleticism. And the howitzer of a shot, from such a small body! Wrister and cannon.  To me he had potential to be the water beetle Hughes is, also like Patrick Kane, who no one can stop. But also had, possibly even better, Kanes shot! 

I'll wonder for a long time if AB, will catch up??? (I'm also terrified that he landed in Chicago). 

I was all for team Boqvist as well and I still think he will be a great dman.  Keep in mind that he is almost a full year younger than Hughes, so it's natural that he would be less developed.  He will be a similar player to Quinn with great speed and IQ and his shot is exceptional.  Both players are undersized and will need some time to adjust to the NHL, but I expect the end product will be two very exciting NHL dmen.

Chicago will do a great job developing Bovquist, so  I don't expect to see him playing in the NHL for at least a couple of years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I think teams go by area of need sometimes when drafting, even bypassing BPA.

That's the wrong read IMO.

IMO, it's more a case of not much separating the players ranked 3-10'ish. They literally could (and did) go in damn near any order. And individual team rankings don't necessarily equate to the 'consensus' rankings (which again, there really wasn't much consensus past 2 this year anyway).

When it's that close between 6'ish players, you go with what your scouting staff tells you and what your team needs are. 'Consensus' rankings be damned.

People REALLY need to stop looking at drafts as perfectly linear and infallible, individual rankings. There are tiers and players of different attributes, positions, skill sets etc within those tiers. Just like it wasn't a 'reach' to draft OJ (as some like to profess) in his draft as he was in the same tier at MT.

14 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

When a guy that was considered guaranteed top 3 in the draft all year drops to you at 6 you almost have to take him. But as a team that desperately needs d-men we are very fortunate that Benning didn't need to ask himself "Zadina or Hughes". Even though based on the draft video it looks like they wanted Detroit to take Zadina, or at least hoped they wouldn't take Hughes. So maybe Zadina wasn't rated over Hughes in managements eyes. Another question we'll never get a for sure answer to.

JB was heard asking Brackett and Wiesbrod (the scouting staff) who to take....Zadina or Hughes...with no hesitation they both said Hughes...

I think that is proof they had Hughes higher on there list.

5 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I think teams go by area of need sometimes when drafting, even bypassing BPA. Montreal needed a C prospect who could be a top 6 C in the NHL. They are hoping that Jesperi can become that. He is a well rounded C prospect from what I have heard.

Hughes, is a dynamic offeensive undersized D. Has the wheels and dangles to wow you but he is most likely never going to be that polished 2 way defender. Teams lacking an offensive D like us would swing for the fences and hope his frame doesnt hurt him down the road. He also does not possess a quality point shot. What Quinn lacks in his shot and D zone play he makes up for with his offensive flare.

The way I see it:

Montreal- drafted for an area of need and bypassed a high end LW in Zadina to hopefully draft a future in their mind #1C in the NHL, an big hole in their organization.

Canucks- Drafted the  flashy offensive D in Hughes, filling our biggest need. We would have loved him to have more size and possess a RHS and be that well rounded 2 Way D. But we swung for the fences in hopes his speed and hands are going to bring us a dynamic point producing D man. 

Time will tell how well these 2 develope at the NHL level. Going to be tons of pressure on both kids when they start off their NHL careers

Yeah I realize this , I'm just not a fan of that type of drafting . I would bet that taking a more valuable prospect , then trading him a year or so later , nets  you a much better player at said position. The habs should have taken Zedina and flipped him later in the year for a proven centre .

Hey, maybe the habs did end up with a stud though , ya never know.  The biggest possible mistake was Arizona . HUGE reach not taking Zedina for Hayton. They could have almost surely have traded Zedina for a much better prospect or player for that position imo . 

Edited by cuporbust

Last page or a couple of pages ago, there is the short video of the MTL couple, and their expressions after Bergevan selected Kotkaniemi at #3. It's obvious that was a left field kind of pick, their fan base is probably not thrilled. With so many great players that were available at #3 (Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, etc), I just don't get it. I know MTL needed a C (among other pieces), but they didn't draft BPA. It's like: the Canucks need a Top 6 LW and they go and draft Farabee at #7 and pass on Hughes, Boqvist etc. I think MTL will regret that pick. I'm still over the moon we have Hughes, thank you MTL and ARI.

7 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Yeah I realize this , I'm just not a fan of that type of drafting . I would bet that taking a more valuable prospect , then trading him a year or so later , nets  you a much better player at said position. The habs should have taken Zedina and flipped him later in the year for a proven centre .

Hey, maybe the habs did end up with a stud though , ya never know.  The biggest possible mistake was Arizona . HUGE reach not taking Zedina for Hayton. They could have almost surely have traded Zedina for a much better prospect or player for that position imo . 

Would Bo Horvat not go higher in a redraft?

Hayton is a solid, Canadian centreman with a great demeanour. I personally wouldn't have touched him in the top 5, but Arizona is... different.

Zadina is filthy, I just think Arizona wanted a Shane Doan-type replacement, as they've already got a lot of slick, skilled guys, and no glue.

I can't think of a team that addressed their needs at the draft better than Vancouver, though. It's a match made in heaven for the franchise, and for Quinn himself.

He is going to have a friggen blast playing with our young core as we enter into another era of high-octane offence. 

Additionally, with Boeser, Demko, Gaudette, Hughes (and a few other maybes like Lockwood, Rathbone, Madden) all coming out of NCAA, we will be known as one of the first teams to truly dive headfirst into this shimmering pool of College hockey talent that's built up over the last half-decade or so. USA Hockey is crushing it right now, and I'm glad Benning and co. are all over it!

Edited by nergish
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I'm still not sure where the confusion is. I am not comparing their styles of play. I'm in agreement with you on how they play and have said some of the exact same things. I am suggesting that (from what I've seen) that he is capable of shifting into that offensive gear when he sees the opportunity or if the situation calls for it. Why can't a guy that is hard wired for a 200 foot game not go on an end to end rush sifting through the opposition before burying it or find the open man for a tap in occasionally? I am saying that Dahlin has the toolbox as well to play that game, but maybe Hughes just uses that toolbox much more often. So if you don't believe he has the toolbox, then that's fine that you disagree with me there, but the highlight packages (albeit not the full picture of his game) sure demonstrates to me that he is capable of the offensive game that Hughes has even if he isn't full throttle offense all game.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Last page or a couple of pages ago, there is the short video of the MTL couple, and their expressions after Bergevan selected Kotkaniemi at #3. It's obvious that was a left field kind of pick, their fan base is probably not thrilled. With so many great players that were available at #3 (Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, etc), I just don't get it. I know MTL needed a C (among other pieces), but they didn't draft BPA. It's like: the Canucks need a Top 6 LW and they go and draft Farabee at #7 and pass on Hughes, Boqvist etc. I think MTL will regret that pick. I'm still over the moon we have Hughes, thank you MTL and ARI.

It appears that teams are thinking that C is a position that needs to be drafted and developed in their system; much like top Ds.  Kotkaniemi will most probably become a very good C in the NHL. 

The Habs' bigger mistake was ignoring the huge wealth of great C prospects coming up in the next draft.  I'm pretty sure MTL will be picking in the top 3, so they will be in a good spot for a better C than Kotkaniemi (they could have picked a superb dman instead).

Edited by higgyfan

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

It appears that teams are thinking that C is a position that needs to be drafted and developed in their system; much like top Ds.  Kotkaniemi will most probably become a very good C in the NHL. 

The Habs' bigger mistake was ignoring the huge wealth of great C prospects coming up in the next draft.  I'm pretty sure MTL will be picking in the top 3, so they will be in a good spot for a better C than Kotkaniemi (they could have picked a superb dman instead).

That is an excellent point. Next year's Draft in VAN will be C-heavy in the Top 10, and surely MTL will be picking there.  

14 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'll take your word for it since you have seen him far more than I have.

I look at a package like this though (only two months worth of footage in the men's league) and I see him making rushes and sifting through players much like we expect Hughes would. If that's not the Hughes gear, then I guess Hughes will be outright incredible offensively to outdo Dahlin based on what little I've seen him be capable of.

Gotta say this guy isn't super strong at finishing. Lots of streaky dashes to the net that end up wide or saved.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I'm pretty sure MTL will be picking in the top 3, so they will be in a good spot for a better C than Kotkaniemi (they could have picked a superb dman instead).

QFT!

And Montreal also needs D men pretty badly.  Galchenyuk not becoming what they wanted resonating too recently I suppose?