The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I just think that saying Dahlin isn't as dynamic offensively is a product of post draft homerism now that we know where everyone ended up. There's no serious argument that Hughes is better than Dahlin right now (honestly, I'd have the people who think that on ignore as they're homer vision is 32/20), but I can kind of see where people are coming from when they say that Hughes is more dynamic offensively. I just don't think it's true and it's minor bias towards our guy. This is coming from the biggest Hughes supporter leading up to the draft. 

Also, cherry picked Dahlin examples? Really? Did you watch the WJC? He does stuff like that every game against players his own age and fairly often against players in arguably the 2nd best league in the world as a 17 year old. 

Post draft homerism for sure. QH is a great pick but no one is taking him over Dahlin atm. Anything is possible, but until it happens this Hughes vs Dahlin thing is a bit of summer hype 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I remember growing up in Winnipeg, watching Phil Housley. :wub:

LOL, he used to set up in Gretzky's office at times.

Hughes is like a Housley 2.0. We have never had a guy like that in Vancouver.  Future is looking bright. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I love the optimism and positivity. Although, I don't think comparing Dahlin and Hughes means much. They'll both be great players for their teams. I believe Quinn will have a better career in VAN than Dahlin has in BUF, but I'm bias. I also think VAN put together better pieces (prospects).

Asplund - Mittelstadt - Nylander

Guhle - Dahlin

Luukkonen

(Samuelsson (D), Davidsson (C), Olofsson (LW), Pekar (C))

vs

Dahlen - Pettersson - Lind

Juolevi - Hughes

Demko

(Gaudette (C), Gadjovich (LW), Woo (D), DiPietro (G))

Go Canucks Go!

• Upvote 1

Quinn Hughes highlights from the USA's 6-5 loss to Canada at the World Junior Showcase in Kamloops last Saturday.  Includes two assists, some nice dangles, rushes, and vision.  Plus a spinorama in tight near the end and the game ending dust up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxOSwGpSAzg&t=2s
Edited by Kauna

8 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I just think that saying Dahlin isn't as dynamic offensively is a product of post draft homerism now that we know where everyone ended up. There's no serious argument that Hughes is better than Dahlin right now (honestly, I'd have the people who think that on ignore as they're homer vision is 32/20), but I can kind of see where people are coming from when they say that Hughes is more dynamic offensively. I just don't think it's true and it's minor bias towards our guy. This is coming from the biggest Hughes supporter leading up to the draft. 

Also, cherry picked Dahlin examples? Really? Did you watch the WJC? He does stuff like that every game against players his own age and fairly often against players in arguably the 2nd best league in the world as a 17 year old. 

You can think all you want.   Dahlin, one more time as you seem hard of hearing, is an absolute stud and the best player in this draft bar none.  He is NOT the best skater in the draft and is not the most dynamic offensively - if that bothers you, take it up with Dahlin as he is simply too mature of a player to take crazy chances, too defensively responsible to neglect his own end and as for the skating, he is elite for sure but this draft had one player that was the consensus best skater of any draft since McDavid - just is that way.   There no homerism if something is a fact.   I have no "guy" - I don't own a piece of either guy and I will be just as happy to see Dahlin succeed as Hughes so how is that homerism.

LOL - ya, I watched the WJC.   Guess you were not following my daily reports.    I also saw him live in SHL and he was a revelation for sure.   I then took in the WHC in Copenhagen and saw Hughes and could not quite figure out what he was doing half the time but he was the youngest guy on the ice and the best skater, fastest skater and most difficult to figure out what position he was playing on almost every shift.   Watch him sometimes - seems you are missing out on something.   :)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kauna said:

Quinn Hughes highlights from the USA's 6-5 loss to Canada at the World Junior Showcase in Kamloops last Saturday.  Includes two assists, some nice dangles, rushes, and vision.  Plus a spinorama in tight near the end and the game ending dust up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxOSwGpSAzg&t=2s

Welcome to CDC! :)

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I love the optimism and positivity. Although, I don't think comparing Dahlin and Hughes means much. They'll both be great players for their teams. I believe Quinn will have a better career in VAN than Dahlin has in BUF, but I'm bias. 

I agree - it is a bit of a silly comparison as they are totally different players.   Dahlin is such a complete player with a D-first mentality and Hughes is a breed apart that simply is hard to define.   

I don't agree on the career thing - I think Dahlin will have a HOF career in almost all likelihood.   Not sure that is in Hughes' future but I do think, and have said a few times, when both careers are done that Hughes will have more "Highlight of the Night" moments.   Think to Lidstrom and how many "edge of your seat moments" you can recall from his career but he is in the top 3 all time discussion as a Dman in NHL.    That is a good Dahlin comparable as far as his ceiling.    Hughes I have a hard time coming up with a comparable - kid is simply something different but above all, damn exciting.    

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I remember growing up in Winnipeg, watching Phil Housley. :wub:

LOL, he used to set up in Gretzky's office at times.

I see Hughes doing things like that and his D partner looking around with a "uh, what happens if you lose the puck.....?????"

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I agree - it is a bit of a silly comparison as they are totally different players.   Dahlin is such a complete player with a D-first mentality and Hughes is a breed apart that simply is hard to define.   

I don't agree on the career thing - I think Dahlin will have a HOF career in almost all likelihood.   Not sure that is in Hughes' future but I do think, and have said a few times, when both careers are done that Hughes will have more "Highlight of the Night" moments.   Think to Lidstrom and how many "edge of your seat moments" you can recall from his career but he is in the top 3 all time discussion as a Dman in NHL.    That is a good Dahlin comparable as far as his ceiling.    Hughes I have a hard time coming up with a comparable - kid is simply something different but above all, damn exciting.    

its like comparing Kopitar to Patrick Kane, doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe for the contrast in styles but thats about it.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I see Hughes doing things like that and his D partner looking around with a "uh, what happens if you lose the puck.....?????"

Hughes has taken huge strides since the WC. He will be a high risk high reward guy and needs to have a D partner that can play with him. 

Like Scott Lachance with Jovanoski. Jovo would roam

and get lost but had a swift skating d partner who played a smart two way game. 

Of we did move Tanev with TO I would want Sandin on the way back with a pick. 

Sandin is best player in the pool in TO.   

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its like comparing Kopitar to Patrick Kane, doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe for the contrast in styles but thats about it.

Comparing Crosby with Ovie.   Comparing Bergeron with Pastranik.   Etc. etc.....

They are fun for schiltz and giggles but not really a logical compare.    

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You can think all you want.   Dahlin, one more time as you seem hard of hearing, is an absolute stud and the best player in this draft bar none.  He is NOT the best skater in the draft and is not the most dynamic offensively - if that bothers you, take it up with Dahlin as he is simply too mature of a player to take crazy chances, too defensively responsible to neglect his own end and as for the skating, he is elite for sure but this draft had one player that was the consensus best skater of any draft since McDavid - just is that way.   There no homerism if something is a fact.   I have no "guy" - I don't own a piece of either guy and I will be just as happy to see Dahlin succeed as Hughes so how is that homerism.

LOL - ya, I watched the WJC.   Guess you were not following my daily reports.    I also saw him live in SHL and he was a revelation for sure.   I then took in the WHC in Copenhagen and saw Hughes and could not quite figure out what he was doing half the time but he was the youngest guy on the ice and the best skater, fastest skater and most difficult to figure out what position he was playing on almost every shift.   Watch him sometimes - seems you are missing out on something.   :)

We are bulding a fast smart team. OJ was considered to be the best skating d man in his draft. Hughes is the best skater in his and could be top ten in the league this year, Pettersson, Horvat, Woo etc are all excellent skaters. They better make

sure the ice in Vancity is well taken care of, there will be a home team advantage in the coming years against teams that can’t skate.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

We are bulding a fast smart team. OJ was considered to be the best skating d man in his draft. Hughes is the best skater in his and could be top ten in the league this year, Pettersson, Horvat, Woo etc are all excellent skaters. They better make

sure the ice in Vancity is well taken care of, there will be a home team advantage in the coming years against teams that can’t skate.  

I still think Virtanen is the best skater on the Canucks until a Hughes or similar show otherwise - just noted you didn't include him on your list.

• Cheers 1