The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

4:30pm. Unless you’re in Hawaii?

It’s a 7:30pm ET start (in Ann Arbor).

Pregame (radio) at 7pm ET. Stream should start around 7:25pm ET. 

So the game stream should be starting up at 4:25pm in Vancouver. Puck drop at 4:30pm.

Much appreciated. No need to rush my workout at all then. :)

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

So....1pm start time here? Gives me time to hit the gym and then settle down to watch this. While I will be focused mostly on Quinn, it will be interesting to see what Jack looks like in a full game...not that I think we have much chance of landing him (our team not sucking enough, and "Canuck luck"). I've not see Jack in anything but highlight clips.

And is it me or is Quinn's "elite" skating more notable in terms of his turns and overall agility more than his top end speed? Or does he not shift into his top gear all that often when his lower gears are more than ample enough for him to excel on the ice? He does make it look easy out there at times.

It's because he rarely moves in a straight line. I've only seen him skate in a straight line when he's getting back defensively. Otherwise, he's always using crossovers and tight turns to evade defenders offensively. That's why people called him a defensive version of Barzal in his draft year; both players are always always using crossovers and can change speeds in an instant. 

Hughes had an assist tonight and 6 shot attempts (3 on goal). Finished -2.

I just saw a few bits and pieces, so can't really comment directly on his game. From what I've heard from others, he was trying to do too much tonight and made a few questionable decisions, and got burned on a couple plays. I suspect that he's kind of finding his way right now. Michigan as a team has been a bit hit and miss early on. They definitely aren't a well oiled machine yet. But it'll come. They have too much talent and are too well coached to not be a powerhouse this season. And Hughes is just too good. But we haven't seen the best of him yet this season.

EDIT: This link should give highlights. Q's assist is a nice cross ice feed to set up a shot (Norris) and tip (Slaker) for a goal.

https://mgoblue.com/index.aspx?path=mhockey

(Just select the Oct. 19 video, titled "Ice Hockey Comes Back, Holds off Western Michigan," for the game highlights)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hughes had an assist tonight and 6 shot attempts (3 on goal). Finished -2.

I just saw a few bits and pieces, so can't really comment directly on his game. From what I've heard from others, he was trying to do too much tonight and made a few questionable decisions, and got burned on a couple plays. I suspect that he's kind of finding his way right now. Michigan as a team has been a bit hit and miss early on. They definitely aren't a well oiled machine yet. But it'll come. They have too much talent and are too well coached to not be a powerhouse this season. And Hughes is just too good. But we haven't seen the best of him yet this season.

EDIT: This link should give highlights. Q's assist is a nice cross ice feed to set up a shot (Norris) and tip (Slaker) for a goal.

https://mgoblue.com/index.aspx?path=mhockey

(Just select the Oct. 19 video, titled "Ice Hockey Comes Back, Holds off Western Michigan," for the game highlights)

From what I can tell of his offensive game, he generates around 5-7 scoring chances a game, but no one can finish them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

From what I can tell of his offensive game, he generates around 5-7 scoring chances a game, but no one can finish them.

Yeah, he’s been unlucky so far. Really should have a lot more points, based on all the chances he’s creating. Hopefully he just keeps playing his game, and doesn’t let frustration/impatience affect him too much, because the points will come eventually.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

How many people can fire a wrister like that while skating backwards on one foot.

Probably most of the NHL.. The one foot thing would be him transferring his weight during his shot. The most impressive thing on the play was him creating the screen and getting the shot through.

Sid, and others, you all know more about prospect development than I so I was hoping you could answer this question for me. I went back a few pages to make sure you didn't already address this but I didn't see the same question or your answers.

For a defenseman in his D+1 year going into the NCAA in his 2nd year, what level of point production would you need to see out of Hughes for you to believe he would be a high end offensive D in the NHL (possibly - I know nothing is a given)?

His 1st NCAA year with Michigan got him 29 points (5g, 24a) in 37 games played or .78 p/gm.

I see that Will Butcher had 37 points in 43 games in his last year of NCAA (.86 p/gm).

Charlie McAvoy had 26 points in 38 games played in his last NCAA year (.68 p/gm).

Torey Krug had 34 points in 38 games played (.89 p/gm).

For Quinn Hughes to be a high end offensive D in the NHL would we not have to see some unreal points / game from him this year at Michigan like 1.2 p/gm??

Thanks for any insight you have!

Edit: the only reason I randomly picked 1.2 p/gm is that both Butcher and Krug are close to .9 p/gm and everyone on here is talking like Hughes will be head and shoulders better than those two players. And quite frankly we all hope he would be.

Edited by Kanukfanatic