The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

26 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Why on earth would you write off a 20 YO defenseman who has excelled at every level he has played at?

I know the kid is only 20, but he got injured - twice!  No players, who get injured under 20, ever amount to anything!  The sky is falling!  ahhhhhhh.  :lol:

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I know the kid is only 20, but he got injured - twice!  No players, who get injured under 20, ever amount to anything!  The sky is falling!  ahhhhhhh.  :lol:

2 knee surgeries and back surgery before ever stepping on the ice in the NHL can be reason enough to be concerned. 

I still have hope that he can turn into a serviceable dman for the Canucks, but those 3 injuries so early into his career have diminished the high hopes I had earlier. Age isn't a concern here, the types of injuries hes had so far are. 

1 hour ago, lesterz said:

lol. Not at all. Completely serious. Someone else posted similar thoughts. I will have to go back and give them a nice juicy.............like.

Hughes plays weird. If a rover position is something that can work in the nhl then it looks good for him. I was right about Joulevi and hopefully I wont be right again. Benning needs to stick to drafting forwards it seems.

Again though, during desperation time, I saw the star potential.

What do you mean when you say you were right about Juolevi? Please explain. You seem to have a strong negative opinion about our defensive prospects, I think we would like to know how you drew your conclusions. What about Quinn's play do you see not translatable to the NHL? If you're talking about 2019 WJC many here will agree that he was not asked to do much more than play a simplified game that focused on zone entries/exits. If you watch him in College hockey he plays a much looser, rover-type style and the points speak for themselves as to how effective he is there. I think essentially we are almost all in agreement (If you actually watch Quinn play) that he can skate at an elite level, think Hockey at an elite level and most importantly, adapt a playstyle that incorporates all of his tools to be as effective as he can at any level, against any competition. That is a sign of maturity to me and a very good indication of a high end talent for many years to come.

8 minutes ago, Kushman said:

2 knee surgeries and back surgery before ever stepping on the ice in the NHL can be reason enough to be concerned. 

I still have hope that he can turn into a serviceable dman for the Canucks, but those 3 injuries so early into his career have diminished the high hopes I had earlier. Age isn't a concern here, the types of injuries hes had so far are. 

"Many players go through injuries, it’s what happens when you play a contact sport. Just ask Sidney Crosby, Victor Hedman, Patrice Bergeron or pretty much any player who has had a couple of injuries during their careers. Even Connor McDavid missed three months from a broken collarbone because of an unfortunate collision."

https://tipofthetower.com/2018/10/29/toronto-maple-leafs-auston-matthews-not-injury-prone/

Players get injuries, especially if they play (and train) the right way.  Orr had 12 knee surgeries.  How many did Bure have?  It's part of the game.  OJ will be in our lineup next season, and will be playing top four minutes by Christmas 2019.  

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Some said similar things about Harvey, Orr, Coffee, and Howsley.  Uniquely talented players stand out.  Quinn Hughes stands out.  His skating, vision, and processing are so far ahead of others, he looks to be a rover.  Quinn and Petey are going to be a fabulously dynamic duo for us.  

Source please. 

30 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

It always amazes me that people still respond so easily to a poster that has a bunch of signs all screaming ‘troll’ right in your face.

Just goes to prove there is a sucker born every minute....Oh ... bye the way... I have some fabulous ocean front property for sale in Arizona and it can be your for only $100,000.lol

25 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Source please. 

Here is one.  You can easily find others::D

https://archive.macleans.ca/article/1958/2/15/how-doug-harvey-loafed-his-way-to-fame

"How Doug Harvey loafed his way to fame

For years fans and critics lambasted this Canadien defenseman for laziness. But, without straining a muscle, he dawdled his way onto six all-star teams and into one of hockey’s top salaries"

These exceptionally gifted D men, are often said to be not playing properly, or criticized for other reasons.  It's because they see the game differently.  That's what will make Quinn Hughes the best player chosen in his draft by a lot.  He sees the game on a level others don't.  He's just like Elias that way.  We are very lucky there were six teams who passed over the next Harvey, Orr, Coffey etc.  

Edited by Alflives

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Here is one.  You can easily find others::D

https://archive.macleans.ca/article/1958/2/15/how-doug-harvey-loafed-his-way-to-fame

"How Doug Harvey loafed his way to fame

For years fans and critics lambasted this Canadien defenseman for laziness. But, without straining a muscle, he dawdled his way onto six all-star teams and into one of hockey’s top salaries"

These exceptionally gifted D men, are often said to be not playing properly, or criticized for other reasons.  It's because they see the game differently.  That's what will make Quinn Hughes the best player chosen in his draft by a lot.  He sees the game on a level others don't.  He's just like Elias that way.  We are very lucky there were six teams who passed over the next Harvey, Orr, Coffey etc.  

You're actually insane and it's impossible to argue with insanity. 

You've convinced me Quinn is already the best defenseman since Orr. Thank you! 

• Cheers 1

On 1/8/2019 at 1:53 PM, BCNate said:

Why on earth would you write off a 20 YO defenseman who has excelled at every level he has played at?

Because he's not very good and injury prone on top of that. How can you come back from that. It's tough. Worst +- on his team for instance. 

On 1/8/2019 at 2:19 PM, Alflives said:

Some said similar things about Harvey, Orr, Coffee, and Howsley.  Uniquely talented players stand out.  Quinn Hughes stands out.  His skating, vision, and processing are so far ahead of others, he looks to be a rover.  Quinn and Petey are going to be a fabulously dynamic duo for us.  

You're repeating what I said. He's probably going to be a bust. Or maybe he will be like Orr or Coffee. Quite a gamble. Hope your right. I'll remind you one way or another.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:24 PM, Specz said:

What do you mean when you say you were right about Juolevi? Please explain. You seem to have a strong negative opinion about our defensive prospects, I think we would like to know how you drew your conclusions. What about Quinn's play do you see not translatable to the NHL? If you're talking about 2019 WJC many here will agree that he was not asked to do much more than play a simplified game that focused on zone entries/exits. If you watch him in College hockey he plays a much looser, rover-type style and the points speak for themselves as to how effective he is there. I think essentially we are almost all in agreement (If you actually watch Quinn play) that he can skate at an elite level, think Hockey at an elite level and most importantly, adapt a playstyle that incorporates all of his tools to be as effective as he can at any level, against any competition. That is a sign of maturity to me and a very good indication of a high end talent for many years to come.

I didn't  like the OJ pick because he had no exceptional quality that I would look for at number 5. Bland. Weak. Why pick him. Proven correct. Not the case with Quinn, but man he is small and I would say lacks a certain something, maybe it's composure. I don't like to be mamby pamby, but I do think he has a shot to be a star, I just think he's gonna get knocked around big time so the odds aren't great.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:29 PM, Bitter Melon said:

It always amazes me that people still respond so easily to a poster that has a bunch of signs all screaming ‘troll’ right in your face.

i made the account so i could say what I think not so I could figure out what you would like me to post, lol.

On 1/8/2019 at 3:57 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

giphy.gif

Yes, yes, have a good laugh Mr "I think Petterson needs another year in the minors". I've been watching. lol

Edited by lesterz
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Just goes to prove there is a sucker born every minute....Oh ... bye the way... I have some fabulous ocean front property for sale in Arizona and it can be your for only $100,000.lol

I don't think this guy is trolling here. Guess that makes me a sucker.

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2019 at 8:30 AM, drummerboy said:

5’10” isn’t the issue.   

It is the 150-160 pound defender with major positioning issues I don’t like.  

He is going to struggle at his size regardless, but another 15-20 pounds before he plays will make a world of difference. 

Well he's 175 not 150-160 so there's your 15-20 pounds there. He can stand to add muscle that will come, could take a few years to get to where you'd like him but he's too good to hold him out that long. His strength's & weaknesses with his size will always be there, he's gotta learn the league. 

You obviously need to watch some more games.  Not WJ, but his college games. 

And no not just the highlights.  

Watch a handful of games, then come back to me and tell me how awesome he is and how he will be fine against MUCH tougher competition. Hahaha

I've seen as much of Hughes as I can. I haven't been able to catch all his college games but I've watched alot of shift by shifts from college & as much international play as I can. And I went to see him live during the World Junior. He's always been the same player everywhere I've seen him. 

No one is questioning his talent. 

I think a big part of his problem, is he is so damn talented, his coaches aren’t doing their job. They just let him do what he wants out there. 

He is missing out on major development time when he should be learning systems and positional play. 

I partially agree. Yes he tries to do too much, his coach has said that a number of times. I think benching the superstar isn't a great move for the coach either. At this level he's good enough to get away. In the NHL he'll have to adjust & he will. Too smart a player not too. 

• Upvote 1

Per Elliotte Friedman's 31 Thoughts:

14. In the days leading up to the gold-medal game, there were rumours flying that Quinn Hughes was ready to leave NCAA Michigan for Vancouver. It never got close to that, but what is clear is the Canucks wished to ask him if he would consider the possibility. They decided not to, choosing to honour an agreement to wait until the end of the Wolverines’ season. But I suspect they really, really wanted to do it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-connor-mcdavid-elias-pettersson-calder-hart/

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Clearly Hughes is a great player already, who is far beyond the level of the players at the NCAA level.  I wonder if the thought of getting Hughes now, had anything to do with the coming TDL, and (perhaps?) trading one or two of our current roster D?

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Clearly Hughes is a great player already, who is far beyond the level of the players at the NCAA level.  I wonder if the thought of getting Hughes now, had anything to do with the coming TDL, and (perhaps?) trading one or two of our current roster D?

I think it just would have meant the ability to play a quality prospect over Del Zaster and Pooilot. 

It will be interesting to see where Michigan is around the trade deadline... if the look like they aren't going to make their playoffs then I wouldn't be surprised to see Hughes come early.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well he's 175 not 150-160 so there's your 15-20 pounds there. He can stand to add muscle that will come, could take a few years to get to where you'd like him but he's too good to hold him out that long. His strength's & weaknesses with his size will always be there, he's gotta learn the league. 

I've seen as much of Hughes as I can. I haven't been able to catch all his college games but I've watched alot of shift by shifts from college & as much international play as I can. And I went to see him live during the World Junior. He's always been the same player everywhere I've seen him. 

I partially agree. Yes he tries to do too much, his coach has said that a number of times. I think benching the superstar isn't a great move for the coach either. At this level he's good enough to get away. In the NHL he'll have to adjust & he will. Too smart a player not too. 

Generally, you have to play like a superstar before you're given that label. But not on CDC apparently. 

• Upvote 1