The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

I tend to agree with this. Quinn is going to be a huge part of our team going forward but Im expecting a lot of misplays next season mixed with some highlight level dangles and vision. He will be a great player but he definitely won't immediately change our fortunes like Elias did.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I tend to agree with this. Quinn is going to be a huge part of our team going forward but Im expecting a lot of misplays next season mixed with some highlight level dangles and vision. He will be a great player but he definitely won't immediately change our fortunes like Elias did.

I am expecting a mix of give aways, bad passes, players blowing past him along with amazing breakouts, tape to tape breakout passes and crazy dangles.  As the season progresses, the latter will start to exceed the former.  He won't have the immediate success that EP40 has had, but I do think he immediately changes the dynamic of this team especially on the PP.

• Upvote 1

My concern with Quinn is how he is going to be coached. Not to say I don’t have faith in Travis Green, but as posters above me have pointed out he will make a lot of mistakes on high risk plays as he adapts to the NHL. The ability to execute them however is what makes Quinn an extremely special player. Obviously he can’t be expected to have free reign on the ice to make whatever low percentage play he wants, but I worry that he might have a short leash and that the coaching staff will try to hammer out the creativity and risk/reward plays in favour of him becoming a “safe” option. Quinn has the potential to be a complete game breaker if he figures out how to do what he’s done so far in his career in juniors and college at the NHL level, he just needs the proper support to get there.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

My concern with Quinn is how he is going to be coached. Not to say I don’t have faith in Travis Green, but as posters above me have pointed out he will make a lot of mistakes on high risk plays as he adapts to the NHL. The ability to execute them however is what makes Quinn an extremely special player. Obviously he can’t be expected to have free reign on the ice to make whatever low percentage play he wants, but I worry that he might have a short leash and that the coaching staff will try to hammer out the creativity and risk/reward plays in favour of him becoming a “safe” option. Quinn has the potential to be a complete game breaker if he figures out how to do what he’s done so far in his career in juniors and college at the NHL level, he just needs the proper support to get there.

Unfortunately I dont think this coaching staff will be that way. One guy I look at as a comparable on our squad is Goldy. Goldy has the potential to be elite but he makes mistakes and therefore gets benched a lot. This team is being coached to not lose and guys like Hughes and Goldy only play when a team is coached to win.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Unfortunately I dont think this coaching staff will be that way. One guy I look at as a comparable on our squad is Goldy. Goldy has the potential to be elite but he makes mistakes and therefore gets benched a lot. This team is being coached to not lose and guys like Hughes and Goldy only play when a team is coached to win.

I think the difference between Quinn and Goldy will be compete/effort. If Quinn makes a mistake I think he will skate hard to get back into the D zone. Goldy usually glides back or goes to the bench.

Hope Quinn gets eased in on the 3rd pair and gets sheltered. He will wow, he will cough it up, he might get nailed if he tries a spin or rama. Hopefully he will learn and adapt to the type of game he can play in the NHL.

Best of luck to him, be nice to try and get Trouba from the Jets in the off season. Would be a nice partner for Quinn imo

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

I am expecting a mix of give aways, bad passes, players blowing past him along with amazing breakouts, tape to tape breakout passes and crazy dangles.  As the season progresses, the latter will start to exceed the former.  He won't have the immediate success that EP40 has had, but I do think he immediately changes the dynamic of this team especially on the PP.

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

I am a bit more optimistic about Quinn that a lot of posters.  From the limited numbers I have seen, his most impressive stat is zone exits, where he is exceptional. His numbers won't be as good in the NHL, but they should still be good given his "separating skills" of great skating, very good puck handling and very good passing. He has some weaknesses playing without the puck but the strength of his game is that when he is on the ice his team controls the puck most of the time. 

He does not have to contribute a lot the offence to be valuable. At least he won't necessarily get assists or goals but will start a lot of plays headed up ice, which is very important for the offence.. Puck control and zone exits are keys to Tanev's game as well and he is very valuable even though he does not score a lot. And in the long run, Hughes of course has more offensive upside than Tanev.

Quinn will have a lot of giveaways but his ratio of successful exits to giveaways will be high -- a similar pattern to the best D's in the league like Doughty, Burns, Subban Letang, etc.

I think he will actually get a pretty long leash. To be honest, I have been surprised by how patient Green has been with Pouliot and Goldy, among others. And Quinn is an entirely different category as he keeps his motor going and does not suffer from the same level of inconsistency. And he has more upside. As long as he plays hard and keeps trying to improve, he will play. And he is smart enough that I think he will adjust quickly. Let's face it, Goldy, Pouliot, Virtanen and some other guys are not exactly quick learners, but have learned gradually, I expect Hughes to have a much faster learning curve, maybe not at the level of EP but more like Boeser or Horvat.  I expect he will get plenty of ice-time and make pretty rapid progress. .

Edited by JamesB

Why would any sane person expect from Q Hughes what Elias Pettersson has done this year? EP is the best rookie probably ever for the Canucks. What a stupid post by Cam Robinson (whoever that is).

Almost no one is at EPs level. No one expects Hughes to be as good. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

he really, really doesn't. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Why would any sane person expect from Q Hughes what Elias Pettersson has done this year? EP is the best rookie probably ever for the Canucks. What a stupid post by Cam Robinson (whoever that is).

Almost no one is at EPs level. No one expects Hughes to be as good. 

Agreed.  Even the casual fan knows that defencemen rarely come in and dominate like that, not to mention that his draft had "potentially generational D" Dahlin who has not even done so himself yet.

"Tempering expectations" -- the default for those who think everyone else is less insightful or knowledgeable than they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

No worries then... except for the fact that this franchise has never had such a thing.

One more for the bust column!

Sorry Hut but I will always consider Tallon an elite #1D. Badly handled by a desperate Canuck team. PPG of 0.7 in his rookie season, about the same the following year. Made the All-Star team when it meant more. 

56 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Sorry Hut but I will always consider Tallon an elite #1D. Badly handled by a desperate Canuck team. PPG of 0.7 in his rookie season, about the same the following year. Made the All-Star team when it meant more. 

Tallon certainly looked like he would be a long term #1 D-man in his rookie year. Unfortunately, that superstar potential never materialized over the rest of his career, for whatever reason, and I would not rate him a true number 1 other than in his rookie season. His rookie season was far and away the best rookie season for a D-man that the Canucks have ever had and probably one of the best for any D-men in the NHL. To put his performance in perspective, he was the 3rd leading point producer for D-men in the entire NHL trialing a guy named Bobby Orr and J.C. Tremblay...........he had more points than such notable D-men as Brad Park and Guy LaPointe!

• Cheers 1

Yeah, likewise we could have traded for Pronger or Bourque in their last year of playing, but that hardly means we really had an "elite #1 dman".  Just having been on the roster at some point is irrelevant; the context here is having such a player in their prime and a consistent anchor on the team, and in this case for Hughes.  We have never had such a player.  Many #2s, but never a true #1, let alone an "elite" one.

Btw, if there's any basis to EF's comments regarding pulling Hughes early, it only underlines Benning's previous comments about the difficulty he has in trying to find a PPQB.  They are certainly anxious to get one in place, and sooner than later if at all possible.  Could be that the emergence of EP and improved fortunes of the team this season being in the playoff hunt has only expedited that desire.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Agreed.  Even the casual fan knows that defencemen rarely come in and dominate like that, not to mention that his draft had "potentially generational D" Dahlin who has not even done so himself yet.

"Tempering expectations" -- the default for those who think everyone else is less insightful or knowledgeable than they are.

I think people just don't understand what dominating is for an under 20 year old Defence, not when they're comparing it to what players like EP, McDavid, Crosby, and OVI have done.   

Phil Housley is the only U20 D in history to hit the point per game mark.  He did that in his second season during the 1983-84 where he put up 77 points in 75 games..  I'd say what Dahlin is doing this year is pretty remarkable.  He's only 45 games in and already 9th in points by a 18 year old defenseman and he's on pace to finish 2nd in NHL history.  And he's only been getting better as the season goes on, he's got 10 points in his last 13 games while averaging over 21 minutes a night. The only reason Dahlin isn't running away with the calder is because EP is "out of this world" good

• Upvote 2