23 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

So the Canucks should demote their top stat guy who’s destroying the league at 20 because you think so? I’ll call Francesco and let him know that he hired the wrong guys to run his team.

hahahaha.....no. I could have been clearer. Read it as... Yes, yes, have a good laugh Mr "I think Petterson needs another year in the minors". (Zepps preseason forecast iirc)

Edited by lesterz
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2019 at 10:10 PM, Alflives said:

Here is one.  You can easily find others::D

https://archive.macleans.ca/article/1958/2/15/how-doug-harvey-loafed-his-way-to-fame

"How Doug Harvey loafed his way to fame

For years fans and critics lambasted this Canadien defenseman for laziness. But, without straining a muscle, he dawdled his way onto six all-star teams and into one of hockey’s top salaries"

These exceptionally gifted D men, are often said to be not playing properly, or criticized for other reasons.  It's because they see the game differently.  That's what will make Quinn Hughes the best player chosen in his draft by a lot.  He sees the game on a level others don't.  He's just like Elias that way.  We are very lucky there were six teams who passed over the next Harvey, Orr, Coffey etc.  

I don't see him like Elias at all, in any way. If anything they are direct opposites apart from their skating ability.

EP is always TOTALLY conscious of where his team mates are on the ice. Almost without looking he finds them with a measured pass and in space. He must be a delight to play with. 

EP always sees players who are open and in a position to do more damage than he might, at that moment.

EP is obsessed with defence and getting team mates out of trouble.

EP always seems to have that extra split second to make the move HE WANTS TO MAKE not the move he is forced to make.

EP is a clinical finisher with a blistering slapper and wrister.

Despite his tall height combined with lack of weight EP seems to find a way to compete hard but without taking punishment.

That is why imo EP operates at a high level even in his first year in the NHL despite being only 20 years old and frankly I totally disagree with your comparison because I see Hughes lacking in almost every one of these categories at this stage in his game. 

As I said elsewhere he reminds me more of J Subban than EP in that he seems to play for himself. That is not playing on another level at all.

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 1

Quinn is a very safe prospect provided that he is partnered with an elite #1 D. His prospect is at risk if he is expected to be THE #1 D. 

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Quinn is a very safe prospect provided that he is partnered with an elite #1 D. His prospect is at risk if he is expected to be THE #1 D. 

I agree. He'll never be a traditional #1 D-man. However, if everything pans out (I'm very reluctant to think it will) then Quinn can certainly be an elite rover-type defenseman that when paired with a Tanev or Hamhuis in his prime type of player would absolutely be a top of the league pairing. I just wouldn't expect him to ever be the prototypical #1 that plays near 30 minutes a night. 

5 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

I agree. He'll never be a traditional #1 D-man. However, if everything pans out (I'm very reluctant to think it will) then Quinn can certainly be an elite rover-type defenseman that when paired with a Tanev or Hamhuis in his prime type of player would absolutely be a top of the league pairing. I just wouldn't expect him to ever be the prototypical #1 that plays near 30 minutes a night. 

If Quinn played with Tanev...or anyone not named Pooalot....that would be the top pairing ...and unless you are saying that Tanev would be the #1D....that would make Quinn the #1 D.

Also no-one plays 30 minutes a night...just about ever...but as an average no-one even gets close to that.

Quinn will have no trouble being our #1 D and little trouble being recognized as anyone's #1 D after he gets comfy...!

Just watch...!

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

If Quinn played with Tanev...or anyone not named Pooalot....that would be the top pairing ...and unless you are saying that Tanev would be the #1D....that would make Quinn the #1 D.

Also no-one plays 30 minutes a night...just about ever...but as an average no-one even gets close to that.

Quinn will have no trouble being our #1 D and little trouble being recognized as anyone's #1 D after he gets comfy...!

Just watch...!

you lose all credibility when you act like a toddler

On January 11, 2019 at 6:00 AM, Maketherightmove said:

I am excited for future D in Vancouver, Hughes 19, Juolevi 20 , Woo 18 these guys are all having a very good season...Was sad to see Juolevi get hurt as he was showing good signs in Utica and would of got called up at some point....

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 1

So with a win tonight vs. Ohio St., Michigan could find themselves in first place in the Big Ten conference standings. 

Huge chance for the Wolverines to turn around the season, if they can sweep this weekend series.

I tend to agree with this. Quinn is going to be a huge part of our team going forward but Im expecting a lot of misplays next season mixed with some highlight level dangles and vision. He will be a great player but he definitely won't immediately change our fortunes like Elias did.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I tend to agree with this. Quinn is going to be a huge part of our team going forward but Im expecting a lot of misplays next season mixed with some highlight level dangles and vision. He will be a great player but he definitely won't immediately change our fortunes like Elias did.

I am expecting a mix of give aways, bad passes, players blowing past him along with amazing breakouts, tape to tape breakout passes and crazy dangles.  As the season progresses, the latter will start to exceed the former.  He won't have the immediate success that EP40 has had, but I do think he immediately changes the dynamic of this team especially on the PP.

• Upvote 1

My concern with Quinn is how he is going to be coached. Not to say I don’t have faith in Travis Green, but as posters above me have pointed out he will make a lot of mistakes on high risk plays as he adapts to the NHL. The ability to execute them however is what makes Quinn an extremely special player. Obviously he can’t be expected to have free reign on the ice to make whatever low percentage play he wants, but I worry that he might have a short leash and that the coaching staff will try to hammer out the creativity and risk/reward plays in favour of him becoming a “safe” option. Quinn has the potential to be a complete game breaker if he figures out how to do what he’s done so far in his career in juniors and college at the NHL level, he just needs the proper support to get there.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

My concern with Quinn is how he is going to be coached. Not to say I don’t have faith in Travis Green, but as posters above me have pointed out he will make a lot of mistakes on high risk plays as he adapts to the NHL. The ability to execute them however is what makes Quinn an extremely special player. Obviously he can’t be expected to have free reign on the ice to make whatever low percentage play he wants, but I worry that he might have a short leash and that the coaching staff will try to hammer out the creativity and risk/reward plays in favour of him becoming a “safe” option. Quinn has the potential to be a complete game breaker if he figures out how to do what he’s done so far in his career in juniors and college at the NHL level, he just needs the proper support to get there.

Unfortunately I dont think this coaching staff will be that way. One guy I look at as a comparable on our squad is Goldy. Goldy has the potential to be elite but he makes mistakes and therefore gets benched a lot. This team is being coached to not lose and guys like Hughes and Goldy only play when a team is coached to win.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Unfortunately I dont think this coaching staff will be that way. One guy I look at as a comparable on our squad is Goldy. Goldy has the potential to be elite but he makes mistakes and therefore gets benched a lot. This team is being coached to not lose and guys like Hughes and Goldy only play when a team is coached to win.

I think the difference between Quinn and Goldy will be compete/effort. If Quinn makes a mistake I think he will skate hard to get back into the D zone. Goldy usually glides back or goes to the bench.

Hope Quinn gets eased in on the 3rd pair and gets sheltered. He will wow, he will cough it up, he might get nailed if he tries a spin or rama. Hopefully he will learn and adapt to the type of game he can play in the NHL.

Best of luck to him, be nice to try and get Trouba from the Jets in the off season. Would be a nice partner for Quinn imo

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

I am expecting a mix of give aways, bad passes, players blowing past him along with amazing breakouts, tape to tape breakout passes and crazy dangles.  As the season progresses, the latter will start to exceed the former.  He won't have the immediate success that EP40 has had, but I do think he immediately changes the dynamic of this team especially on the PP.

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

I am a bit more optimistic about Quinn that a lot of posters.  From the limited numbers I have seen, his most impressive stat is zone exits, where he is exceptional. His numbers won't be as good in the NHL, but they should still be good given his "separating skills" of great skating, very good puck handling and very good passing. He has some weaknesses playing without the puck but the strength of his game is that when he is on the ice his team controls the puck most of the time. 

He does not have to contribute a lot the offence to be valuable. At least he won't necessarily get assists or goals but will start a lot of plays headed up ice, which is very important for the offence.. Puck control and zone exits are keys to Tanev's game as well and he is very valuable even though he does not score a lot. And in the long run, Hughes of course has more offensive upside than Tanev.

Quinn will have a lot of giveaways but his ratio of successful exits to giveaways will be high -- a similar pattern to the best D's in the league like Doughty, Burns, Subban Letang, etc.

I think he will actually get a pretty long leash. To be honest, I have been surprised by how patient Green has been with Pouliot and Goldy, among others. And Quinn is an entirely different category as he keeps his motor going and does not suffer from the same level of inconsistency. And he has more upside. As long as he plays hard and keeps trying to improve, he will play. And he is smart enough that I think he will adjust quickly. Let's face it, Goldy, Pouliot, Virtanen and some other guys are not exactly quick learners, but have learned gradually, I expect Hughes to have a much faster learning curve, maybe not at the level of EP but more like Boeser or Horvat.  I expect he will get plenty of ice-time and make pretty rapid progress. .

Edited by JamesB

Why would any sane person expect from Q Hughes what Elias Pettersson has done this year? EP is the best rookie probably ever for the Canucks. What a stupid post by Cam Robinson (whoever that is).

Almost no one is at EPs level. No one expects Hughes to be as good. 

• Hydration 1