The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Found this circulating on HF....the table's reaction when they realized Zadina and Hughes were still on the board prior to the Detroit pick

JB's reaction is like when you see money at your feet on the sidewalk and you are looking around to see if anyone else is looking lol

d3kJ14l.gif

Probably the same as all of us, if Hughes was taken by Detroit... all of us would have been delighted as F with Zadina. Even if it meant not picking up a D-man. 

Either way it was good for us. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I am still giddy.  I wouldn't trade Hughes for Morgan Reilly. Kids got game.

I wouldn't trade Hughes for William Nylander.  Probably not Marner either.

The NBC coverage was like TSN's used to be, far superior.  Hughes' father let out some interesting tidbits, first Benning telling them Hughes would not get past them if he was there at their pick, but perhaps more interestingly, that the Canucks were "desperately trying to move up" in the draft, ostensibly to get him.  Yet he falls to us for free.

Maybe it was wishful thinking, but I had a feeling that Hughes was really their guy, from all the things they've been saying the past few years on the type of team and game they want to have and play -- fast-skating, puck-moving, attacking, high intensity.  No other dman aside from Dahlin fits that mold more perfectly.  It all starts from the back end, and Juolevi is another who can skate with and move the puck at a high level, with patience and great hockey IQ.  Woo and Stecher have similar potential, as does Pouliot still albeit not at the same levels.  All these guys play the model Benning and Travis want to see, and as he said we should rightly be excited.  Glad to see everyone else coming around, too.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Legendary10 said:

Holy Crap!!!  I recorded the wrong Draft Show.  Sportsnet's coverage sucks ass comparatively speaking.

I wouldn't mind watching this recorded feed from start to finish after the fact.

dammit, I made the same mistake last year and forgot this year as well, maybe next year

57 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I wouldn't trade Hughes for William Nylander.  Probably not Marner either.

The NBC coverage was like TSN's used to be, far superior.  Hughes' father let out some interesting tidbits, first Benning telling them Hughes would not get past them if he was there at their pick, but perhaps more interestingly, that the Canucks were "desperately trying to move up" in the draft, ostensibly to get him.  Yet he falls to us for free.

Maybe it was wishful thinking, but I had a feeling that Hughes was really their guy, from all the things they've been saying the past few years on the type of team and game they want to have and play -- fast-skating, puck-moving, attacking, high intensity.  No other dman aside from Dahlin fits that mold more perfectly.  It all starts from the back end, and Juolevi is another who can skate with and move the puck at a high level, with patience and great hockey IQ.  Woo and Stecher have similar potential, as does Pouliot still albeit not at the same levels.  All these guys play the model Benning and Travis want to see, and as he said we should rightly be excited.  Glad to see everyone else coming around, too.

I completely agree that Hughes was their guy all along. He's the piece we've been needing forever. I, like others, am still gitty that we got him. I can't stop watching highlight videos because he is just so dynamic. P Kane on the backend but faster. He creates space and time on the ice, and with OJ and his breakout skills we will be unstoppable. And demko. I can't even.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I predict our PP of Boeser, EP, Bo, Hughes and Dahlen or Joulevi ....will see very little ice time....

2 or 3 passes and roof daddy everytime...this is going to be fun to watch...for the 10 or 12 seconds it takes to put it in the net....

That PP is going to dominate the league.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I predict our PP of Boeser, EP, Bo, Hughes and Dahlen or Joulevi ....will see very little ice time....

2 or 3 passes and roof daddy everytime...this is going to be fun to watch...for the 10 or 12 seconds it takes to put it in the net....

I predict they see very few power plays...…..You know "game management" I figured I had the answer to why so few power plays and I realized the NHL rewards the referee's that don't call penalties all year by allowing them to ref the SCF. Young referee's watching learn to turn the other cheek and they get regarded as the NHL's finest. Expect less power plays if you have a dangerous power play.

I'm so excited about this pick still can't believe we got him...

He is such a special player.. 

i am torn as much as I would love to see him make the team I don't want to force it.

i can't see any harm in him spending another year in college and developing his defensive play, get stronger faster everything. Run the World Jr squad with his brother and just have an awesome year of growing as a person and fine tuning his game.

but if he makes the team just shows he's NHL ready steals a roster spot :

Edler-Stecher

MDZ-Tanev

Hughes-Gudbranson

i think Tanev would be great, but if like Hughes to start a little more sheltered with matchups and have guddy to watch his back

After a few days to study Hughes game tapes and listen to his interviews, I love this pick even more. Hughes seems like a bright kid and his talent speaks for itself. He will be our best defensemen in a Few years. It’s nice when the team and the player are both happy about the situation. I hear the Canucks we’re trying to trade up to get him. He has the potential to be a star player for sure. Reminds me of Barrie. 

I know some people think Hughes should spend next season in Utica. But what happens when he comes to camp and is our best D? There was no way Boeser was playing in Utica either. 

I also think Hughes will be real good for Stecher, another small D who has some offensive potential, yet to be tapped. Show him the way Quinn. 

Two days later I'm still in disbelief we got lucky enough to get him. He's going to change this team. 

I think the Top 3 BPAs over time will end up being:

1. Dahlin

2. Svechnikov

3. Hughes

I am also predicting Kotkaniemi will be a bust, and what finally gets Bergeron fired. 

21 minutes ago, cory40 said:

I predict they see very few power plays...…..You know "game management" I figured I had the answer to why so few power plays and I realized the NHL rewards the referee's that don't call penalties all year by allowing them to ref the SCF. Young referee's watching learn to turn the other cheek and they get regarded as the NHL's finest. Expect less power plays if you have a dangerous power play.

UBettman...

17 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I'm so excited about this pick still can't believe we got him...

He is such a special player.. 

i am torn as much as I would love to see him make the team I don't want to force it.

i can't see any harm in him spending another year in college and developing his defensive play, get stronger faster everything. Run the World Jr squad with his brother and just have an awesome year of growing as a person and fine tuning his game.

but if he makes the team just shows he's NHL ready steals a roster spot :

Edler-Stecher

MDZ-Tanev

Hughes-Gudbranson

i think Tanev would be great, but if like Hughes to start a little more sheltered with matchups and have guddy to watch his back

That's probably our D. this year...but Joulevi could still push MDZ to the bench or trade block....this what I want to see

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Dahlen / EP / Virtanen or Goldy

Granlund / Sutter / Goldy or Jake

Gaunce / Gaudette / MacEwen or Eriksson

Edler / Stecher

Hughes / Tanev

Joulevi / Gudbranson

That lineup would have the puck or be hounding to get it all over the ice....

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'll admit Hughes wasn't the guy I wanted, but the thought of Hughes to Pettersson to Boeser has me salivating.

...I feel sorry for the goalies...so embarrassing to be caught belly down with an empty net ...after 3 lightning quick ...tape to tape to "who cares I will bat it out of the air"....passes... 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1