The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, Stormriders said:

As I just posted on another tread, I just don't see how Hughes isn't on the team.

Regardless of everything else, Jim is over the moon with this pick and wants to show off his shiny new toy, and he knows he will excite the fans each and every night displaying his elite talent and speed.  Because of this I now see OJ starting in Utica [especially with his injury setback], which will leave some time to sort things out with trades and injuries.

What are they going to say to Hughes, you need another year or two to bulk up and grow a few inches?

They will probably discuss what is better for his development: playing for the Canucks in a what is likely to be a bottom feeding season, or there is potential to play with his brother and push for a NCAA title. I think there is a higher probability that they do the latter if Jack is able to "accelerate" his academics, and then bring Quinn aboard once his season is over with Michigan. 

I do beleive that two things may make Hughes the guy wanted if they couldn’t draft Dahlin.  

Team need.  Defence was clearly the focus this draft. Even Madden is a defensive forward. 

Highest Ceiling.  It is safe to say that Hughes has potentially as high of a ceiling as Svechnikov.  

This feels very much like the Pettersson draft. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

There are two games here but the second one is Michigan against Northeastern and Gaudette.

40:50 shows Quinns edge work while defending against Gaudette.

Only watched that sequence, but he shut down both Sikura and Gaudette 1:1, using his positioning, angles and stick.  As someone has said, "he defends differently."  He's able to knock the puck off guys' sticks and often steal the puck and turn it back up ice, and when he has the puck he's able to protect it and defenders can't take it from him.  Yes, rather like a defenceman version of PKane.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ahh ok. thanks for the clarification on the slide.

I'd prefer to see him get a chance at making the team even if it means a contract year in Utica. 

It's a decision for sure if he doesn't sign and goes back to college for one more year. I'd be surprised if he did more than that, but it's an option if he doesn't want to rush things. I'd love to see him in royal blue and kelly green as well though.

• Upvote 2

The 8 defensemen on the US roster for IIHF WC 2018 were - 

Martinez McAvoy

Butcher C. Murphy

Hughes Jensen

Osterle Pionk

Not the best group USA could muster. It's not saying much that Hughes went from 7th or 8th to top 4. On paper, he's better than the AHL/bubble guys and should be challenging the Butchers and Connor Murphys. (Where would Hutton, Pouliot, Stecher fit on the above D group?)

BTW, I love the pick. 2 words - Bobby Orr.

3 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Martinez McAvoy

Butcher C. Murphy

Hughes Jensen

Osterle Pionk

Not the best group USA could muster. It's not saying much that Hughes went from 7th or 8th to top 4. On paper, he's better than the AHL/bubble guys and should be challenging the Butchers and Connor Murphys. (Where would Hutton, Pouliot, Stecher fit on the above D group?)

You mean 2 words White Chocolate

Its all his skating. 

1:00. The guy looks like he might be able to gain a step and cut wide, then Hughes turns on the jets and its an easy takeaway.

One of the things I think he really needs to work on is his shot. Its not terrible as is, he'll be able to score some goals. But if he could improve it he would be even more dangerous with the puck. 

So last year Cale Makar 5'11 drafted 4th O/A 2017

last season in college  as 19 yr old GP 34 - Pts 21

Quinn Hughes 5'10 drafted  7th O/A 2018

last seasoning college as 18yr old  GP 37 - Pts 29

Really like Quinn Hughes pick, I think he will sign pro contract before August 1st..

Quinn will make the Vancouver Canucks and will turn 19 in October..

Go Canucks Go

Juolevi 6'3 will also make the Canucks this season...

So many good prospect, after this draft we now have 20 very good prospects..

Never in history have Vancouver had this depth of prospects..

So many turning pro now...Exciting times in Canuck land..... 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Martinez McAvoy

Butcher C. Murphy

Hughes Jensen

Osterle Pionk

More Paul Coffey than anything