The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

I remember watching Orr in the 70s and Coffey in the 80s - he's more Orr than Coffey.

He has a little Phil housley in him too. About the same height / build and tremendously smooth.  Phil ended up with 1000+ points.. 

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yes, our PP is starting to really have amazing potential, even moreso once we get net-front Gadjovich in the lineup.  Only thing lacking really is the booming point shot threat.  The way Juolevi and Hughes can tape-to-tape the puck around, even if they play off them they can't cover everyone.

Why you think Pettersson's 100 mph shot won't get better. He has a rocket.

55 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Perhaps an unconsidered aspect is his potential value to Troy Stecher's game.

Okay I need a tony stretcher and Quinn Hughes pairing now. 

Nevermind the size problems, they both play big games and together will be perfection 

3 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

There are two games here but the second one is Michigan against Northeastern and Gaudette.

40:50 shows Quinns edge work while defending against Gaudette.

This brings a smile to my face to watch. The guy is electric out there. After seeing him with Cecconi I could see him pairing quite well with a big stay at home D-man who can make a good hard d to d pass. A guy like Gudbranson could flourish beside Hughes. I just hope he would be smart enough to leave the ego at the door and pass the puck to Hughes. Pairings I would be excited to see next year are:

Edler - Stecher

Juolevi - Tanev

Hughes - Gudbranson

Pouliot/Hutton/Del Zotto - Biega

Edited by monkey2

Quinn may not have a booming shot but, in the vids I’ve seen he seems to have a knack for getting the puck to the net. Maybe more important than a hard shot. How many goals has Burns got with that weak wrister that he always seems to get through a crowd? 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, monkey2 said:

This brings a smile to my face to watch. The guy is electric out there. After seeing him with Cecconi I could see him pairing quite well with a big stay at home D-man who can make a good hard d to d pass. A guy like Gudbranson could flourish beside Hughes. I just hope he would be smart enough to leave the ego at the door and pass the puck to Hughes. Pairings I would be excited to see next year are:

Edler - Stecher

Juolevi - Tanev

Hughes - Gudbranson

I love his little flip passes while he's skating at full speed. He pulls players towards him at high speed and then effectively throws a change up by flipping the puck onto a soft spot on the ice in which his team mate skates through unchecked. 

That takes

1)speed

2)vision

3) puck skills 

Imagine Boeser or Petterson are the ones skating through the open ice and end up with the puck in the slot.... 

Can't wait.

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Deathbyoompa said:

Quinn may not have a booming shot but, in the vids I’ve seen he seems to have a knack for getting the puck to the net. Maybe more important than a hard shot. How many goals has Burns got with that weak wrister that he always seems to get through a crowd? 

Great comparison in their style of play. The main difference i see with Burns is that he is a huge physical specimen at 6"5 230ibs

I don't want to get too far ahead, but another similar offensive player I can relate Quin to is Erik Karlsson  at (only) 6"  191 ibs is praised for his skating skill and reading the play

39 minutes ago, monkey2 said:

Edler - Stecher

Juolevi - Tanev

Hughes - Gudbranson

Interesting pairings, but MDZ will take up a spot until he is dealt at the trade deadline. I say he takes up Juolevi's spot until he is moved, so Juolevi starts in the AHL with some call ups and hopefully he has a good year and finishes the season off after the deadline or if he's better off staying the year, then give Sautner/Brisebois/Chatfield that opportunity (also could get more opportunity if Tanev is dealt). Hughes will be in college, so Pouliot/Hutton takes his spot next season. Will be interesting to see if he decides to turn pro once his season is done though.

The defense might just be poor enough to keep us out of the playoffs for a lottery chance at Jack Hughes. But the year after, look out. Juolevi and Hughes become regulars hopefully along with Brisebois/Chatfield to revamp the defense. Demko should be taking on a bigger role if not taking over altogether. If we get a legit 2019 draft forward that could step in right away, then he along with Pettersson, Dahlen and the other potential young guns could make the 2019-2020 season look incredible.

4 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Great comparison in their style of play. The main difference i see with Burns is that he is a huge physical specimen at 6"5 230ibs

I don't want to get too far ahead, but another similar offensive player I can relate Quin to is Erik Karlsson  at (only) 6"  191 ibs is praised for his skating skill and reading the play

Yes I can see the Karlsson comparison. Very smooth skaters.

The best part is Quinn has lots of time work on his shot. Perhaps Petterson can show him how to unload. Still amazes me how much stank Petterson can get on his shot. 

13 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

Okay I need a tony stretcher and Quinn Hughes pairing now. 

Nevermind the size problems, they both play big games and together will be perfection 

You mean Troy Stecher....not tony stretcher haha.  Come on.

Edit: then my apologies. So many people spell his name wrong I assumed that happened here. I had no idea about that story calling him Tony Stretcher lol. Sorry Canadian Clay.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

Just now, Deathbyoompa said:

Yes I can see the Karlsson comparison. Very smooth skaters.

The best part is Quinn has lots of time work on his shot. Perhaps Petterson can show him how to unload. Still amazes me how much stank Petterson can get on his shot. 

Maybe Sami Salo will come help out too, I always remember his rocket shot,  and he is Juolevi's current mentor as well 

Speaking of which... just looked up Olli Juolevi I didn't realize he is actually 6"3  198 ibs already.. jebus.. hoping Sami can show him how to use it to his advantage re: slappers

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Maybe Sami Salo will come help out too, I always remember his rocket shot,  and he is Juolevi's current mentor as well 

Speaking of which... just looked up Olli Juolevi I didn't realize he is actually 6"3  198 ibs already.. jebus.. hoping Sami can show him how to use it to his advantage re: slappers

Kinda thought the extra wieght set him back at prospects camp last year. Juolevi rebounded nicely imo. Sami can only benefit our d prospects. I hope the nucks can get him over here. Think he would be far more useful to us here as opposed to Finland.

2 minutes ago, Deathbyoompa said:

Kinda thought the extra wieght set him back at prospects camp last year. Juolevi rebounded nicely imo. Sami can only benefit our d prospects. I hope the nucks can get him over here. Think he would be far more useful to us here as opposed to Finland.

Yeah. I can't say I have seen much of his play this past year tbh but it is nice knowing he has the frame and ability to fill out into a bigger defenceman that could have a booming shot coming from Quinn's slick passes.

The future is bright :canucks::canucks:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Yeah. I can't say I have seen much of his play this past year tbh but it is nice knowing he has the frame and ability to fill out into a bigger defenceman that could have a booming shot coming from Quinn's slick passes.

The future is bright :canucks::canucks:

Yes sir! Sooo brightB)

Also like the fact that a number of our prospects seem to have that extra big game gear. Petterson, Dahlin, Juolevi just to name a few.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Deathbyoompa said:

Yes sir! Sooo brightB)

Also like the fact that a number of our prospects seem to have that extra big game gear. Petterson, Dahlin, Juolevi just to name a few.

Most of those prospects probably haven't even met (closely) our biggest big-game player yet either - Horvat - man will he be a great influence on the kids coming in.  He is like the epitome of hard work paying off as may I say he does not have the 'gifted' ability as some of our newer kids seem to have but is a true work horse (an Ox more like ::D)

25 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You mean Troy Stecher....not tony stretcher haha.  Come on.

Haha I swear i have seen multiple people make that 'mistake' on these boards - so much so I thought I was missing some sort of inside joke about calling him Tony