The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

43 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This is exactly what I and a lot of others are saying. Let him be one of the better defensemen in the NCAA and play top minutes at the WJC and then step in for a short stint at the end of the year like Boeser and Gaudette. He can spend a year playing with his brother too. 

I kinda think Hughes is ready for the NHL now, however, I am employed in a non hockey type of position lol.  So my opinion ain't worth much.

If Hughes does go to college I would be extremely interested in how he does and I would totally look forward to watching him in the world juniors at Christmas. That would be awesome. I am sure JB, in conjunction with Hughes, will make the best decision.

Quick question - for those that have watched both Hughes and Dahlin closely, what is it that makes Dahlin a generational talent and not Hughes? What does Dahlin do that much better? Is it just the physical aspect? And maybe the shot? It's universally agreed upon that Hughes is the better skater, so clearly Dahlin has to be far superior in many other aspects to be rated head and shoulders above Hughes (and Boqvist for that matter). I'd be interested in any insights.

1 minute ago, dougieL said:

Quick question - for those that have watched both Hughes and Dahlin closely, what is it that makes Dahlin a generational talent and not Hughes? What does Dahlin do that much better? Is it just the physical aspect? And maybe the shot? It's universally agreed upon that Hughes is the better skater, so clearly Dahlin has to be far superior in many other aspects to be rated head and shoulders above Hughes (and Boqvist for that matter). I'd be interested in any insights.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd say size is part of it. Dahlin at 6'2" has a better frame for defending at the NHL level. SHL vs NCAA would be a factor too, I think. Dahlin played against professionals all year, we got a quick look at Hughes playing against pros at the mens worlds, but Dahlin did it all year.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

As much as I'd like to see what Hughes could do in the NHL, I think a kid with a frame like his runs risk of serious injury jumping into the NHL off the bat. All it takes is one miscalculation and he's being run into the boards by Brown or Reaves.

Let him continue to develop and finish growing in Utica or Michigan. 

23 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Think Kane vs Crosby.

Dahlin plays a cerebral game that is complimented by an elite skillset. Hughes plays a rover-esque game that is complimented by his skating and hockey IQ. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

If Hughes and his family/advisors all want him to turn pro now, are you going to sign him or insist he goes back to college? Personally, I would give in to their demands as I would not want to alienate them at this early stage.

If they're really pushing to sign then they probably understand that the AHL is a likely destination and are willing to accept that, so everything is alright. I don't think it'll be that simple though because he has a chance to play with his brother in the NCAA.

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I kinda think Hughes is ready for the NHL now, however, I am employed in a non hockey type of position lol.  So my opinion ain't worth much.

If Hughes does go to college I would be extremely interested in how he does and I would totally look forward to watching him in the world juniors at Christmas. That would be awesome. I am sure JB, in conjunction with Hughes, will make the best decision.

If he isn’t ready for the NHL, the AHL is an option.  He may want to turn pro, I cannot see that as a problem.  It would stop all the inevitable angst about the college loop hole which is a plus. 

Hughes seems like a hockey geek. If the NHL is too much of a jump he has two very good options that can work. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Of course. But if I was JB, and really felt that he should go back to college, I imagine I would say something like, "If you are determined to go pro, we have a max entry level contract for you to sign whenever you want. The fans, the team and I are dying to see you play in a Canucks uniform. But we really feel that it would be better for your development to play another year of college, building up your strength. Because we really don't want some huge fourth line goon squashing you before you are strong enough to take it. And we would sign you at the end of your school year so you still get your signing bonus and burn a year off your ELC."

Sounds like sound advise.

Wasn't his dad some sort of development coach as well ? Hughes should be able to get really good advise from his dad.

I'm sure he would be able to help his son understand, which path should be the chosen one.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Fanuck said:

When JB was first hired he was interviewed by Jim Hughson.   In that interview he revealed he believed he himself was rushed into the NHL as an 18yo by the Leafs and when he became management he said that experience always influenced his personnel decisions.   When Trevor was hired he preached patience - that there were no quick fixes for the franchise situation.   Needed to let prospects fully develop etc....then they throw JV and Canner to the wolves in moves that go directly against what they both said.   That has ownership overriding management written all over it imo.  Then there's the whole Torts debacle.....

I don't think it was ownership meddling... I think they were not happy with them playing Juniors another year... which every single person by the way seemed to say as well. Watching JV kill people in Juniors was not going to help his development much. Hindsight is wonderful though, and maybe another path should have been chosen.

Also think it is one of the reason JB likes to find his picks in NCAA....

5 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Think Kane vs Crosby.

Dahlin plays a cerebral game that is complimented by an elite skillset. Hughes plays a rover-esque game that is complimented by his skating and hockey IQ. 

I think Hughes will be talked about as better than Dhalin.  I’m not saying he is (or will be) better, but he will be a far more exciting player, who puts up more points.  There will be many, who find that exciting style as better.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

If he isn’t ready for the NHL, the AHL is an option.  He may want to turn pro, I cannot see that as a problem.  It would stop all the inevitable angst about the college loop hole which is a plus. 

Hughes seems like a hockey geek. If the NHL is too much of a jump he has two very good options that can work. 

That would be my preference.  They play more games than NCAA, but it's a similar training/game days schedule.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Hughes will be talked about as better than Dhalin.  I’m not saying he is (or will be) better, but he will be a far more exciting player, who puts up more points.  There will be many, who find that exciting style as better.  

Hughes will have less expectations even in the fishbowl of Vancouver. 

In fact the whole team has no expectations this season.  

Whereas Dahlin is being billed as the saviour and has not only the billing of a Number 1 Pick, but as the biggest hype for a defender since Potvin. 

He seems well equipped to handle it, but until he does there is room for doubt. Hughes will have Pettersson coming on at the same time.  Plus. OJ and Virtannen are the whipping boys of choice for the masses.  Plus Horvat and Boeser are great character guys and leaders 

• Upvote 2

Hey guys, this is my very first post.

My humble opinion is that many fans on this forum do not follow hockey in general, especially other teams during the playoffs. 

Quinn Hughes for sure is not a perfect defence man in the likes of Drew Doughty and Rasmus Dahlin. These perfect D are as rare as franchise centres. There are much fewer than 31 of them in the league. Without winning the draft lottery during the right draft year, Vancouver has as much chance of acquiring a perfect #1 D in the draft as their chance to draft McDavid. 

After Detriot made their decision at pick #6, the ONLY LOGICAL CHOICE at #7 is for Vancouver to pick Quinn Hughes. What is the likelihood that Vancouver would have the opportunity in future draft to acquire a player in the likes of Dobson and Bouchard? I would say fairly good, even in the 2nd round, considering that Vancouver would continue to miss the playoffs. What is the likelihood that Vancouver would have the opportunity to draft someone as gifted in D as Quinn Hughes in future draft? It is possible, but not likely since his combination of skating, passing, vision and hockey IQ on the defence is rare during most draft years. 

Jim Benning made the right pick even if Quinn Hughes turns out to be a bust. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 2

Alf,

Dahlin plays a very exciting game, his stick handling and anticipation are exceptional.  The shiftiness of Hughes skating is his strength. Both are exciting players with great skills. Dahlin does things generally better and has more size to boot. 

What will I’ll allow one to flourish over the other will be their support on and off the ice.  One thing that is different between them is the Hughes need to create, that will be hindered if he is trapped into a restricted team system. 

11 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

My humble opinion is that many fans on this forum do not follow hockey in general, especially other teams during the playoffs. 

Quinn Hughes for sure is not a perfect defence man in the likes of Drew Doughty and Rasmus Dahlin. These perfect D are as rare as franchise centres. There are much fewer than 31 of them in the league. Without winning the draft lottery during the right draft year, Vancouver has as much chance of acquiring a perfect #1 D in the draft as their chance to draft McDavid. 

After Detriot made their decision at pick #6, the ONLY LOGICAL CHOICE at #7 is for Vancouver to pick Quinn Hughes. What is the likelihood that Vancouver would have the opportunity in future draft to acquire a player in the likes of Dobson and Bouchard? I would say fairly good, even in the 2nd round, considering that Vancouver would continue to miss the playoffs. What is the likelihood that Vancouver would have the opportunity to draft someone as gifted in D as Quinn Hughes in future draft? It is possible, but not likely since his combination of skating, passing, vision and hockey IQ on the defence is rare during most draft years. 

:lol:

Nice try.  

In 20 years future young prospects will be compared to Quinn Hughes for their upside.  This guy skates like Quinn Hughes.  This guy has Quinn Hughes smarts.  This guy could become a Cup winning, Norris winning, generational talent like Quinn Hughes.

Again, nice try.

#Want to buy a cave? 

3 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Hughes has a lot going for him.  JB clearly got the player he had hoped for. Cannot remember any player likes Hughes in the Nucks system. A lot of comparisons to Leetch, Housley and Coffee. I see some Brian Campbell in his game. 

For whatever reason Botch was bitching on a pod cast about a possible Hughes Guddy pairing. Downright stupid when you loook and the success he had with Campbell in Florida. 

Hughes needs some muscle 5v5 and Guddy can provide that. Guddy needs a d partner to get the puck to so he doesn’t have to transition it up ice. Win win

Would like to see a OJ Tanev pairing and a Hughes Guddy pairing this pre season if Hughes goes pro. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Alf,

Dahlin plays a very exciting game, his stick handling and anticipation are exceptional.  The shiftiness of Hughes skating is his strength. Both are exciting players with great skills. Dahlin does things generally better and has more size to boot. 

What will I’ll allow one to flourish over the other will be their support on and off the ice.  One thing that is different between them is the Hughes need to create, that will be hindered if he is trapped into a restricted team system. 

Hughes has great stick handling as well, and anticipates the game pretty well too. If Dahlin was Hughes size, he wouldn't go first. He is a great player, one I wish we had in our system, but his size is definitely a factor in him going one. 

2 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Hughes has a lot going for him.  JB clearly got the player he had hoped for. Cannot remember any player likes Hughes in the Nucks system. A lot of comparisons to Leetch, Housley and Coffee. I see some Brian Campbell in his game. 

For whatever reason Botch was bitching on a pod cast about a possible Hughes Guddy pairing. Downright stupid when you loook and the success he had with Campbell in Florida. 

Hughes needs some muscle 5v5 and Guddy can provide that. Guddy needs a d partner to get the puck to so he doesn’t have to transition it up ice. Win win

Would like to see a OJ Tanev pairing and a Hughes Guddy pairing this pre season if Hughes goes pro. 

I forgot how great a pair Guddy was with Campbell.  Guddy and Hughes to start the season as our bottom pair?  Tanev and Juiolevi as 3/4.  Edler + Hutton as number one pair?  

Looking at our d-core right now no one brings the speed and skill that Hughes has. I believe he’s going to surprise in camp and be miles ahead of everyone else in terms of speed and skill from the backend. Hard to say no to that. I think he’s ready to get games in the nhl this year. Hopefully he signs a contract and can shuffle between the nhl and ahl .

• Upvote 2