The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Crack for Jack?

tas

8 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Well drafting the smallest dman in the draft, a guy just like Benning isn't going to push this team higher in the standings, if this is all they do, they don't trade for another 1rst rounder then they just wasted another draft. This kid is 3 to 4 years out yet.

I guess Benning is just working for is next job.

Disappointed? Yes!

Maybe Demko for a NYI 1rst and then select Bouchard or Dobson

I really think maybe you should switch sports and watch NFL. You seem so fascinated with size that you think it compensates for skills. Fact of the matter is that picking size was the reason we made a wrong choice and picked virtanen instead of Ehlers. Having a bias for size only was the reason we are now stuck with Gudbranson. Your analysis of this draft is wrong and Canucks picked the 2nd best defense man in the draft, first being Dahlin. Bouchard and Dobson will probably be 2nd or 3rd pairing D and they dont have the offensive flare of Hughes. All the GMs were targeting small and mobile D. Things are changing in NHL and speed is key. If you cant see that than you probably shouldnt comment on canucks drafting. 

Also trading Demko for a Bouchard or Dobson would be the most idiotic thing Benning would have done. Trading a potential star goalie for a future 2nd pairing D man and Bouchard could easily be a bust.

8 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Well drafting the smallest dman in the draft, a guy just like Benning isn't going to push this team higher in the standings, if this is all they do, they don't trade for another 1rst rounder then they just wasted another draft. This kid is 3 to 4 years out yet.

I guess Benning is just working for is next job.

Disappointed? Yes!

Maybe Demko for a NYI 1rst and then select Bouchard or Dobson

Did you watch this kid at the Worlds? 

He could probably step right in this upcoming season. I am absolutely stoked we stole Hughes at 7. 

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I really think maybe you should switch sports and watch NFL. You seem so fascinated with size that you think it compensates for skills. Fact of the matter is that picking size was the reason we made a wrong choice and picked virtanen instead of Ehlers. Having a bias for size only was the reason we are now stuck with Gudbranson. Your analysis of this draft is wrong and Canucks picked the 2nd best defense man in the draft, first being Dahlin. Bouchard and Dobson will probably be 2nd or 3rd pairing D and they dont have the offensive flare of Hughes. All the GMs were targeting small and mobile D. Things are changing in NHL and speed is key. If you cant see that than you probably shouldnt comment on canucks drafting. 

Also trading Demko for a Bouchard or Dobson would be the most idiotic thing Benning would have done. Trading a potential star goalie for a future 2nd pairing D man and Bouchard could easily be a bust.

Ehlers No-showed in the playoffs and we’re not “stuck with” Gudbranson, we re-signed him because he's a sorely lacking net front presence, when he's in less liberties are taken on our goalies and when they are he's there to answer the bell. Solid positionally as well. 

10 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Hey, How About We Fire This Group! Another Blown Draft

Wow talk about censorship, this board is really monitored, what other thread is similar this month?

Oh well just keep singing koombya together as participants disappear, the mods or at least that one, are too narrow minded, but then the Canucks do own the forum after all. 

Hope you finished the bottle and passed out under the table.... Thats about all your garbage is worth.

5 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Watch this and tell me those that think quinn won't sign to play with his brother(s) is more feasible then his brothers not signing to play here 

he'd prefer to play with his brother, hey?

the canucks should get eric lindros's dad on retainer just in case. 

Wake up to this? The season hasn't even started, and someone is already advocating tanking to acquire a high pick. When, oh when, can we finally start to cheer on some victories?

As for Benning and Linden...I've been following the Canucks since the 70's. Not once in that time span have we EVER had the depth we currently have. Sure, the top 6 isn't quite filled out, but it's close (Horvat/Boeser/Petersson/Dahlen and then possibly Gaudette/Virtanen/Goldobin). And we don't have a top D pairing...yet...but with drafting Hughes last night, a pairing of Joulevi and Hughes is one highly mobile pairing, fit for today's NHL.

No, it's time to start looking to see if our potential is what we think it is. I have come to agree with @Warhippy; next year is one last poor finish, then we transition into a playoff team. Get these guys some time together to grow, and watch out!

12 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Jack is a center. We have Horvat and Petterson already. 

We don't need to tank for him. Let's try to win this year.

Nothing saying Petterson will ever be a center, he won't even start this season as 1 most likely. 

Either way I was happy for the pick yesterday, would love the Canucks to just crap the bed this season and pull a Buffalo and get Jack in our own backyard draft next year!

26 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

Wake up to this? The season hasn't even started, and someone is already advocating tanking to acquire a high pick. When, oh when, can we finally start to cheer on some victories?

As for Benning and Linden...I've been following the Canucks since the 70's. Not once in that time span have we EVER had the depth we currently have. Sure, the top 6 isn't quite filled out, but it's close (Horvat/Boeser/Petersson/Dahlen and then possibly Gaudette/Virtanen/Goldobin). And we don't have a top D pairing...yet...but with drafting Hughes last night, a pairing of Joulevi and Hughes is one highly mobile pairing, fit for today's NHL.

No, it's time to start looking to see if our potential is what we think it is. I have come to agree with @Warhippy; next year is one last poor finish, then we transition into a playoff team. Get these guys some time together to grow, and watch out!

it's called tongue in cheek ...

2 minutes ago, Russ said:

Nothing saying Petterson will ever be a center, he won't even start this season as 1 most likely. 

Either way I was happy for the pick yesterday, would love the Canucks to just crap the bed this season and pull a Buffalo and get Jack in our own backyard draft next year!

That would be the most frikken awesome thins that could happen. I'm trying to stay alive till that happens and then hope  for a liver transplant. Can't wait to see these young guys playing together.

1 minute ago, CeeBee51 said:

That would be the most frikken awesome thins that could happen. I'm trying to stay alive till that happens and then hope  for a liver transplant. Can't wait to see these young guys playing together.

Could you imagine the Canucks finally win a lottery and the draft is in our hometown!  Man that would be party for ages!

12 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Hey, How About We Fire This Group! Another Blown Draft

Wow talk about censorship, this board is really monitored, what other thread is similar this month?

Oh well just keep singing koombya together as participants disappear, the mods or at least that one, are too narrow minded, but then the Canucks do own the forum after all. 

I know you want us to become a top team too.  Really, these Hughes kids are serious hockey players.  Quinn is absolutely fabulous.  I like when he said it would be nice to draft his brother next year, but he plans on helping the Canucks be winners, so they won’t be able to draft Jack.

55 minutes ago, Russ said:

I just hate losing. But if by December we are at the bottom of the league again, I'll be jumping on team tank lol

13 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Jack is a center. We have Horvat and Petterson already. 

We don't need to tank for him. Let's try to win this year.

Talent is talent. At the moment Hughes is expected to go 1st overall. No matter how many centres you have, you don't pass on him with the 1st pick. Easier to move centres to the wing or move someone out for a defensemen. 

Archived