The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Crack for Jack?

tas

7 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Hate to break it to you, but you can't trust a word that comes out of a player's (or, worse yet, management's) mouth.  It's all spin - yet everyone here always seems to believe it.

Like, seriously, we just finished a multi-year period where virtually every single thing we were being told by Canucks' managment was an outright lie.

ahuh beleive what you want but the kid is happy Imo and seems happy in all the interviews i've heard, I guess its both speculation. I saw a nervous happy kid 

1 minute ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

ahuh beleive what you want but the kid is happy Imo and seems happy in all the interviews i've heard, I guess its both speculation. I saw a nervous happy kid 

Players are coached about what to say to the media.  All of them.  Always.  It's why you always hear the exact same platitudes in every interview.

On 2018-06-22 at 9:39 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Well drafting the smallest dman in the draft, a guy just like Benning isn't going to push this team higher in the standings, if this is all they do, they don't trade for another 1rst rounder then they just wasted another draft. This kid is 3 to 4 years out yet.

I guess Benning is just working for is next job.

Disappointed? Yes!

Maybe Demko for a NYI 1rst and then select Bouchard or Dobson

Gold Guardian, pure gold. 

You are the ultimate at sarcasm.

LOL

On 6/23/2018 at 3:20 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

A small forward can avoid big strong dmen and forwards with skill BUT there is no skill that will move a 6'4" 220lb forward screening the goalie or reach around a forward protecting the puck. Dmen by way of their position require physical contact and strength. Now I am not saying small guys can't be strong or solid but bigger men usually end up winning most contests of strength both board battles and net presence. There are just not many 5'9" dmen in the league

Totally agree. Good thing Hughes is 5'10". Whew...that was a close one.

On 6/23/2018 at 4:50 PM, DrJockitch said:

Erik Karlsson is the same size as this guy.

Eric Lindros was absolutely crushed by Scott Stevens, his vastly superior size did not stop him from multiple concussions.  

First thing about not getting a concussion is not getting hit, something Hughes excels at.  

It amazes me how 5'11" is a shrimp to small to play the game and 6' is all good.  Average height in the league is 6'1".

I am 6'3" 205lbs and suck at hockey (that last one is just a fun fact).

You're frickin huge.  Why didn't JB draft you!!?? Man JB sucks lmao.

Tas,

As for crack for Jack, Just say no, Tas, just say no.  

Let the players play this season in Vancouver.  Horvat and Boeser deserve an all out effort from the team, they are the new leaders.  Pettersson isn’t going to give a little less.  These guys aren’t going to look at who Vancouver can draft next season. They will be giving it their all, every night. 

The entire org has to focus on the players it has, and show those guys that the effort is there. 

. Let Jack crack for us.... He can play with his brother easily, just take his foot off the gas a bit. Let other players pass him in the rankings 

Never happen... maybe ;) 

36 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Hate to break it to you, but you can't trust a word that comes out of a player's (or, worse yet, management's) mouth.  It's all spin - yet everyone here always seems to believe it.

Like, seriously, we just finished a multi-year period where virtually every single thing we were being told by Canucks' managment was an outright lie.

So you say everything a player says is spin, but everything you (the anonymous interweb poster) type is real. Seems like a legit statement. B)

I'm convinced....haha.

It's been funny to watch @TheGuardian_ flip flop in his position to try to spin Hughes as a terrible pick.

First it was "Why didn't we draft BPA!?" and it was pointed out that Hughes actually was the top rated D after Dahlin by many rankings. 

Now it's "He's too small!" despite Hughes being an inch taller than Krug and Spurgeon, while only being 2" shorter than Karlsson and PK Subban. 

Next I imagine it will be "He doesn't smile enough!" or something like that. 

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

IMG_2630.PNG

The only reason he may have been disappointed is because Zadina fell and DET drafted him instead. The Hughes family must've been almost certain DET would pick Quinn. But DET passed on him, and that probably felt pretty shocking. By the time VAN made their pick, he was probably still in disbelief DET passed on him. He's an 18 year old kid who's about to play in the NHL, his dream. I doubt very much he's unhappy about playing in Vancouver. He doesn't come off as an entitled punk. The opposite actually.

One day I hope he takes it to DET every time we play them. 

On 2018-06-22 at 6:13 PM, bloodycanuckleheads said:

We also have a track-record of American players forcing trades back to the States (Kesler, Luongo).

EDIT:  Yes, I know Luongo was born in Canada - the point I was trying to make is that, even when he played here, he lived in the USA, with his family (who are all Americans).  He's not Canadian anymore, he lives in the US and he wanted to go back to be with his family.  The fact that he has Canadian citizenship doesn't matter, for all intents and purposes he's American.  His home has been in the US for many, many years now.

Hmm sounds personal.. Although..

On June 22, 2018 at 5:39 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Well drafting the smallest dman in the draft, a guy just like Benning isn't going to push this team higher in the standings, if this is all they do, they don't trade for another 1rst rounder then they just wasted another draft. This kid is 3 to 4 years out yet.

I guess Benning is just working for is next job.

Disappointed? Yes!

Maybe Demko for a NYI 1rst and then select Bouchard or Dobson

You're hilarious

On June 22, 2018 at 6:43 PM, wai_lai416 said:

you can never have too many centers.. Horvat is a 2c.. Petterson can play wing easily Petterson Hughes Boeser line can be as scary as our WCE back in the days. How do you expect to win with our subpar injury prone defense and very inconsistent goaltending anyways? there's no consolation prize for just missing the playoff. i'm not saying they should tank but i wouldn't go out of the way to sign free agents just to pretend the team is better than it shown in the standing the past 3 years

Yes, in terms of offensive potential. 

No, in terms of intimidation. 

On June 23, 2018 at 12:08 AM, cuporbust said:

Watch this and tell me those that think quinn won't sign to play with his brother(s) is more feasible then his brothers not signing to play here 

"My preference would be to play with him cause he's so good..."

- Jack Hughes

On June 23, 2018 at 1:48 PM, kilgore said:

Well, we could finish better than last year and still win a long shot pick. ie. Philly last year.  And Jack could theoretically slip down to 2nd or 3rd.  Ya never know!

Even in your fantasy theoretical world the Canucks can't end up with 1OA pick. That says it all

Archived