The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Good interview with Tim Hunter on The Athletic talking about Jett. I won’t quote the whole thing because it’s subscription and probably not cool to copy their paid content, but figured CDCers without access would enjoy this quote (where Hunter talks about the game where Woo made a sequence of reverse hits to knock guys on their butts):

https://theathletic.com/602217/2018/10/20/qa-tim-hunter-on-canucks-prospect-jett-woo-who-has-a-reputation-for-popping-guys/

“Those were reverse hits and, yeah, they were great. One guy was about a buck-eighty and the other was 230 — the second guy he knocked down — so, not an easy feat. He’s got that kind of old-school physicality to him, a little bit like Scott Stevens, popping guys through the neutral zone. Guys have a little bit of fear when Jett’s on the ice, and that’s uncomfortable for forwards and makes for good defence for us. They go over the boards and aren’t comfortable right away, and they haven’t even taken a stride yet.”

Bolded my favourite part of the quote. I’d love it if Jett can continue to bring that kind of intimidation to his pro game. Especially because he does it purely through clean hits. Nothing better than a guy who strikes fear in opponents, while playing within the rules.

The part I liked the most was the part you didn't bold. Scott Stevens is my favourite defenseman of all time. 

• Haha 1

Anyone been able to catch a chunk of woo's games? He seems to be off to a slow start offensively (only saying this as I figured his role has changed a bit with clague moving on), I know injuries have plagued him a bit. Anyone have some insight? 

Not only is he strong as hell. He moves the puck in a hurry, right on the tape.

Besides his poor read resulting in Russia's only goal, he played a very solid game.

Kid's gonna be really good for us in a few years. He's got all the pieces to be a good pro.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Not only is he strong as hell. He moves the puck in a hurry, right on the tape.

Besides his poor read resulting in Russia's only goal, he played a very solid game.

Kid's gonna be really good for us in a few years. He's got all the pieces to be a good pro.

I'm inclined to give him a pass on the bad read due to the team not having a ton of time to get on the same page regarding systems.

• Haha 1

Honest thoughts, he is exactly as billed. He does not play a flashy game. You can tell he plays the defensive side of the game first.  It afraid to go to the corners, clear the front of the net or get physical. Didn’t make many mistakes. He also makes a lot of good small plays, like a good first pass instead of just dumping it down the ice. Nice to get to watch a prospect up close. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Honest thoughts, he is exactly as billed. He does not play a flashy game. You can tell he plays the defensive side of the game first.  It afraid to go to the corners, clear the front of the net or get physical. Didn’t make many mistakes. He also makes a lot of good small plays, like a good first pass instead of just dumping it down the ice. Nice to get to watch a prospect up close. 

Yep.  Throwback style of defenseman and plays a needed style.  Imagine this kid and OJ as a shutdown pairing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm inclined to give him a pass on the bad read due to the team not having a ton of time to get on the same page regarding systems.

Same page really. I was just pointing it out to be somewhat objective.

I've loved the pick from the start. Still can't believe he fell to us in round 2 after being ranked low 20's at the beginning of 17-18. Kid gets one injury and drops to us- "the injury magnets". 

Beautiful irony?