The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A bit off topic but some Canucks connections - 

I was going through IMDB re the Goon movies and of course there's Larry Woo, Jett's dad, who was in both movies.

In Goon 2, I see Brandon Prust and MDZ had small roles.

But how's this for Canucks trivia - former Canucks no 1 pick in 1977 Jere Gillis plays 'Quebec #1' in the first movie. IIRC, after Gillis finished his career, he became a stuntman and has a load of credits on IMDB.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Woo's build, character and skating remind me of Hamhuis.  

Wouldn't that be a steal.  I think Dan had better points at this point, but didn't have the injury / situation Jett did.  

Hopefully Woo can light it up next year and evolve into that rock solid 20-something point NHL defence man.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Wouldn't that be a steal.  I think Dan had better points at this point, but didn't have the injury / situation Jett did.  

Hopefully Woo can light it up next year and evolve into that rock solid 20-something point NHL defence man.  

If he can learn to throw a hip check he'll be a fan favorite in no time!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If he can learn to throw a hip check he'll be a fan favorite in no time!

He is a physical beast. I am excited to dive into his footage soon. Hughes and our new Russian double overager took up most of my YouTube time lol

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

While he was injured his team traded for Kale Clague. Coming back from injury he lost his number 1 PP spot and I’m sure his offensive zone starts were also down. Clague is gone now so there should be plenty of opportunities for Woo to shine offensively. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s hovering around a point a game next year.

18 hours ago, JamesB said:

Woo plays a physical but clean game and Gadj plays a hard-nosed game. But I think the Canucks will need more toughness than that to be harder than average to play against. Looking 2 or 3 years down the road, Guddy should still be here and Virtanen will probably still be here playing a physical game. But the Canucks would, in my view, still need some additional size and toughness, preferably a physical power forward type and another physically imposing D. Even in today's NHL, with high skill but relatively non-physical stars like Boeser, Pettersson, and now Hughes, it will be important to complement that. Horvat is very strong and wins puck battles and holds his own in front of the net. Leipsic plays with a bit of an edge, and so does Gaudette, so that will help. 

What is Tryamkin comes back. Tryamkin, Woo, and Gadj would do it.

9 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

A bit off topic but some Canucks connections - 

I was going through IMDB re the Goon movies and of course there's Larry Woo, Jett's dad, who was in both movies.

In Goon 2, I see Brandon Prust and MDZ had small roles.

But how's this for Canucks trivia - former Canucks no 1 pick in 1977 Jere Gillis plays 'Quebec #1' in the first movie. IIRC, after Gillis finished his career, he became a stuntman and has a load of credits on IMDB.

I KNEW THAT I HAD SEEN JETT'S DAD SOMEWHERE. HE WAS THE PRE-MED HOCKEY PLAYER, PARK KIM.

Man, what are the odds that I see him again in this context lol.

9 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

If Jett can have a similar season to Dan's draft +1 year, that would very exciting..... Dan was coming off a year with 59 points in 62 games in his draft year. After Nashville drafted him 12th overall he put up 60 points in 59 games and won the awards for top defenceman in the WHL and the entire CHL... So ya, if Woo can have a similar season to that I'd be extremely excited.