The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎23 at 9:58 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think ,like gino odjick's popularity from within the aboriginal community ,woo will have the same effect from the chinese community . this is a very good pick any way you look at it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scorevat said:

I see a physical heart and soul guy who won't be afraid to lay a big hit to change the momentum of the game or stick up for his teammates. In other words, I see a lot of Kevin Bieksa in Woo.

It would be a real treat if he could fight like Bieksa.

I figured Woo would be a clear late 1st rounder. I think without the injuries he wouldn't have been there for us. Glad he was.

From everything I've read he's touted as a very strong defensive player. He can skate too which is even better. Definite top 4 upside IMO. Being right-handed and having some size (along with the willingness to use it) is a great plus.

Similar value to Kole Lind last year. I think Woo may even have a greater chance to be a 2nd pair D than Lind a 2nd line W. But we will see, glad to have both. I like the Woo pick alot. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone is saying we're drafting too small but they're really overlooking some of the grit we've added.

Woo, Madden, Lind, Gadjovich, Tryamkin, Brassard, Gunnarsson all project to be solid bottom six/ bottom four guys and all play with grit and a good amount of push back.

If these guys fill out as role players they should compliment our skilled guys very nicely.

14 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I remember at the begging of the year when we were all looking at the mock draft we knew we needed and wanted a right handed defence man in this draft and a lot of us thought Woo would be a solid pick with our first selection. To get him with our second is a steal. If our prospects can become pros Benning has completely rebuilt the whole team. 

Dahlen Pettersson Boeser

Goldobin Horvat Lind 

Virtanen Gaudette Palmu 

Gadjovich Madden Jassek  

Hughes Tanev 

Juolevi  Woo

Tyramkin Stetcher 

Demko 

Di Pietro 

We're getting somewhere finally.  This line up has some potential.  Exciting times.

Edited by Rodishred

3 minutes ago, Rodishred said:

With a couple of"tweeks"... love this line up!  

You can't split up the Man Child and the Fire Hydrant!

Palmu and Gadjovich have natural chemistry. If they're both in the NHL they need to play together.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You can't split up the Man Child and the Fire Hydrant!

Palmu and Gadjovich have natural chemistry. If they're both in the NHL they need to play together.

Hahaha!... I edited my post but you caught the jist right off the bat! 

I could see Gadj move up to 3rd line and have Virt and Goldy swap 2nd line to 4th based on team they're playing.

21 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Kevin Bieksa is probably the toughest pound for pound fighter, or in other words, middle weight fighter we ever had.  I don't think Woo is a fighter, but I hard hitting guy back there that can play some offence will be nice.  Maybe a more consistent Keith Ballard before his concussions?

Hoping he's more like a Jacob Trouba without the injuries.

44 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Kevin Bieksa is probably the toughest pound for pound fighter, or in other words, middle weight fighter we ever had.  I don't think Woo is a fighter, but I hard hitting guy back there that can play some offence will be nice.  Maybe a more consistent Keith Ballard before his concussions?

C'mon bro....

I love KB3 but this team had some real monsters who could fight in the 80s and 90s.  No way KB3 is even in the top 10 fighters this franchise ever had.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I remember at the begging of the year when we were all looking at the mock draft we knew we needed and wanted a right handed defence man in this draft and a lot of us thought Woo would be a solid pick with our first selection. To get him with our second is a steal. If our prospects can become pros Benning has completely rebuilt the whole team. 

Dahlen Pettersson Boeser

Goldobin Horvat Lind 

Virtanen Gaudette Palmu 

Gadjovich Madden Jassek  

Hughes Tanev 

Juolevi  Woo

Tyramkin Stetcher 

Demko 

Di Pietro 

Just curious: What makes you believe that Tryamkin will return after all what's happened?

15 hours ago, westcoastsniper said:

Saw this from someone who watches Moose Jaw games...

"One hopes Woo, who was held back a bit, if not quite a bit, by Hunter in Moose Jaw, is a lot better than people think. When he plays away from Hunter he plays a lot better, looks like a real competitor and his offence is better too. If Hunter lets him play and doesn’t sink him on the 3rd pairing for 1/2 the season….. After all, in the 1st twenty, when Moose Jaw’s defence was depleted, Woo played a lot, looked very good, and the Warriors were very good. Then late in the season, after his injuries and suspensions and trades, Hunter benched him in favour of Clague and Josh, because he prefers to play ‘veterans who know the right way to play’."

found some more information about him:

Intesting comparison with Calen Addison in terms of stats included.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/nhl-entry-draft-picks-2018/2018/6/4/17417574/jett-woo-2018-nhl-draft-profile-stats-highlights-video-analysis-scouting-report

Thoughs: (from the writer David St. Louis)

Woo is one of the players that likely has widely different rankings on NHL teams' lists. It comes down to whether they believe in his ability to use the tools he has to further his offensive potential and become a top-four defenceman who’s able to generate good scoring chances when on the ice.

He remains an attractive option thanks to his great skating, decent size, physicality, and defensive reliability. He also showed that he could be leaned on and performed well at the start of the season when the Warriors didn't have their number-one defenceman.

I wouldn't look to him in the first round, or early second round, but there are still arguments to be made for him in that range. It’s very possible to see him take the strides he didn't in the second half of the season and make a lot of teams regret passing on him.

• Upvote 1

some additional information- sounds very promising to me-

“Woo not only owns one of the best names in hockey, he is a really good hockey player too. A physically strong and intimidating presence on the blue line which is surprising for a kid so young to have that type of confidence so early. Will hit opponents with clean, brushing body checks at any given opportunity and loves that aspect of the game. Almost always comes away with the puck coming out of the corners. Gets good looks in the passing lanes and moves the puck effectively out of the D zone. Power play QB and is intelligent and patient in the offensive zone. Strong skater who has a very active stick and can break up plays in the neutral zone and quickly transition to offence. Tough to beat and waits for the offensive player to make a move and he adjusts his coverage well on the fly.” – Marshall MacKinder, Hockey Now

Strengths

• Good hockey sense and vision
  • Anticipates offensive rushes well
  • Good skater with effective lateral movement
  • Uses his size well and picks his spots to avoid penalties

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• He’ll need to continue to bulk up to withstand NHL physicality
  • A bit too reliant on the extra space of the power play for offensive production
  • He’ll need to adjust his judgement on when to try a big hit at the NHL level
  • Founded or not, his injuries might lead to fragility concerns

Other 2018 NHL Draft Profiles

NHL Potential

Woo projects as a second pairing two-way defender. He may have limited offensive upside at the NHL level, but he’ll be relied upon for his physical play and defensive acumen. He projects as a slightly smaller Travis Hamonic.

Risk-Reward Analysis

Risk – 1/5, Reward – 3.5/5

Fantasy Hockey Potential

Offense 7.5/10, Defense 8.5/10