The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

He cannot play in the AHL next year.

Oh, is he still too young. I forget he’s still just a big kid.

when he’s Canuck ready he’ll be a beast imo. As he'll only get bigger and better.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

What is the CDC consensus of Woos future AHL or stay in the Juniors. 

I dont know what to think as I have zero confidence in the Comets Staff and for him staying in the Juniors he will dominate but it’s playing against boys.

I wish AV was the Comets coach as he did wonders with the Moose that made up alot of the Canuck core back in the day.

anywho I like Woo Alot . when he’s a Canuck in the future it would awesome imo if he wore #2 wooo!!!

I see Woo playing his overage year in Calgary for the Hitmen.  Then he will likely need at least one season in the AHL to adjust playing his physical style against men. 

The Canucks should send Woo to Europe for next season, where he could play in the Swiss league or something. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

This is an idea that I hope is looked into.

Totally agree.  Woo is beyond the WHL, and playing against boys.  He needs to play against men.  Plus, the larger ice would force him to really work on his skating.  Not that he isn't already a good skater.  

• Upvote 2

The Swiss league seems like a real good league. I would be happy if Woo decides to go that root.

i agree the big ice may help him develope more. 

I heard the best Defense man now ( in today’s hockey ) don’t skate backwards as much. they are more effective  skating forwards up to the play then transition their skating again to skate forward to defend.

the big ice may help this.

Edited by HockeyHarry

Wont hurt Woo to play another year at the levels he's at and dominate.

I can see him fighting for a few regular season games at the start of this year and then fighting for a full time role next year. Especially considering how our RD is basically non-existent in a year with Tanev likely being moved and Schenn if he is resigned likely being traded as well.

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

Wont hurt Woo to play another year at the levels he's at and dominate.

I can see him fighting for a few regular season games at the start of this year and then fighting for a full time role next year. Especially considering how our RD is basically non-existent in a year with Tanev likely being moved and Schenn if he is resigned likely being traded as well.

Chances are we might make one or two moves in that regard ;)

22 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Agreed, but I doubt that ends up being this offseason. Quite a few quality RD free agents next offseason.

There's some this season as well as quite a few trade possibilities.

I think  the canucks org. should see how Woo does at camp and if he plays well , then give him a few games to see how he plays in the nhl, if he passes that then keep him up. I think he is going to surprise in a good way. we can't just keep the same defense as last year. 

11 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Well Rob it only took me about 30 seconds to find out that you were lying....again. Go figure. I think you have a problem, buddy.   Heiskanen played far more minutes in all situations.  Heiskanen actually lead the entire playoffs in average ice time.  A year younger than Olli, far better point totals in regular season and better totals in the playoffs and if I remember correctly, Turku had multiple injuries on their back end which forced Olli to play more minutes.  Heiskanen also made the Olympic team, he is the far superior player and it's not close.  Bringing up the comparison doesn't make any sense

https://liiga.fi/en/tilastot/2017-2018/playoffs/pelaajat/?team=&position=all&home_away=&player_stats=time_on_ice&sort=P#stats-wrapper

And I wasn't saying it's pond hockey, I'm saying it's not necessarily the best development option for all players.  

Seriously though you are a compulsive liar, cut it out.

7 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Take a chill pill....

Gotta agree with Rollieo, take a chill pill.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Well Rob it only took me about 30 seconds to find out that you were lying....again. Go figure. I think you have a problem, buddy.   Heiskanen played far more minutes in all situations.  Heiskanen actually lead the entire playoffs in average ice time.  A year younger than Olli, far better point totals in regular season and better totals in the playoffs and if I remember correctly, Turku had multiple injuries on their back end which forced Olli to play more minutes.  Heiskanen also made the Olympic team, he is the far superior player and it's not close.  Bringing up the comparison doesn't make any sense

https://liiga.fi/en/tilastot/2017-2018/playoffs/pelaajat/?team=&position=all&home_away=&player_stats=time_on_ice&sort=P#stats-wrapper

And I wasn't saying it's pond hockey, I'm saying it's not necessarily the best development option for all players.  

Seriously though you are a compulsive liar, cut it out.

Glad you were at the games too and watched.   Where were you sitting?    Next time I will buy you a beer so you can give me your "expert" stuff first hand.   I am in Slovakia but get into Finland often.   Just set it up and I will make it happen.   Clearly you think what you can Google trumps live action so let's see it first hand together and then see if you think the same.    

You have an interesting insecurity about any Canuck prospect - too bad you have picked them as your team to follow.   Again, come to Europe and perhaps you can find a time you actually like to follow.   

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Hate hearing the truth?  

5th overall pick, draft +2 playing 17 minutes a night in the SM liga is terrible progression for a 5th pick.  Mikko Kokkonen hasn't even been drafted yet and is playing 17 minutes a night in that league.  Heiskanen played 8 more minutes per game last year compared to Juolevi.  25 - 17.  Although Rob would probably tell you that the website is wrong and Juolevi actually lead the reg season and playoffs in ice time, not Heiskanen.

I don't need to watch Juolevi play to determine who is better and I'm not afraid to admit it.  It's not the end of the world

And yet Salo came out to praise Juolevi for his improvements? Also the fact that Juolevi was the go-to guy for Finland?

Please tell me more.

I also think that we can all agree that Heiskanen is a superior player, considering he played very well this season + playoffs. That doesn't mean Juolevi can't be like that.

A little optimism changes your perspective. Juolevi is not a trash prospect. He has had some injury problems - and hopefully they don't prevent him from being the defenseman that he was PROJECTED to be. 1/2 defenceman.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I think him staying down is a good idea.

"For as polished as Woo can look at times, he’s still just 18 years old and – if he doesn’t make the Canucks out of camp next fall – will have one more season in Moose Jaw to refine his skills before making the transition to pro. He’ll be a strong candidate to make Canada’s World Junior team too.

That would likely be for the best, although between his amazing name, electrifying body checks, and the Canucks’ total lack of right-handed defencemen in the pipeline, it might be hard for fans to wait that long."

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

There should be 0 rush to get Woo in the NHL. Guy is a teenager still. Drafted outta the 2nd round. Putting him on our blueline as it stands now would only serve to hurt more than help. Besides we don't want another Virtanen situation where we bring him up, then send him to the A next year. Let him stew, continue to build the blueline, and when he's ready it won't be a "please save our blueline" situation he's walking in to. He had a great year, let him continue to build on that.

^^^ a year of patience will pay off big time with this kid. Let him develop properly. 

• Upvote 4