The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

9 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

clearly we can't all agree that MH is superior ^^. I know OJ isn't trash, I never said he was, he is a solid prospect nothing more nothing less.  He's not tracking towards a top 2 d-man and he never really was, if he becomes a 3rd or 4th d-man it will be because that's what he is most capable of, not because he was injured a lot.  Anything more than that is gravy imo.   If Salo liked him so much why was he only getting 17 mins per game?  Maybe he's just not as good as people think? I also never said he can't be ever be like I just said it's unlikely.  I almost would of preferred him to stay in London playing 24-27 minutes a night.. almost.  It's close

We'll have to see what happens. Maybe Juolevi has a monster summer (which Salo said he'd need to get to the new level). Maybe he'll join the Canucks later in the season and make a huge impact. Who really knows?

Juolevi is criminally underrated. He's a LOT better than what people think he is.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

There should be 0 rush to get Woo in the NHL. Guy is a teenager still. Drafted outta the 2nd round. Putting him on our blueline as it stands now would only serve to hurt more than help. Besides we don't want another Virtanen situation where we bring him up, then send him to the A next year. Let him stew, continue to build the blueline, and when he's ready it won't be a "please save our blueline" situation he's walking in to. He had a great year, let him continue to build on that.

I think there is a chance to repeat the Virtanen situation if Woo is rushed in for sure.

PS OJ THREAD IS OVER THERE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

There should be 0 rush to get Woo in the NHL. Guy is a teenager still. Drafted outta the 2nd round. Putting him on our blueline as it stands now would only serve to hurt more than help. Besides we don't want another Virtanen situation where we bring him up, then send him to the A next year. Let him stew, continue to build the blueline, and when he's ready it won't be a "please save our blueline" situation he's walking in to. He had a great year, let him continue to build on that.

This.

Sign a veteran RD defensemen this offseason to insulate our young RD and act as a replacement for Tanevs veteran presence in half a year.

Stralman 3yr's at 5M, Polak 2yr's at 2M, Girardi 2yr's at 2M or Engelland 1yr at 2M.

Leaves time for Woo, Rafferty and Chatfield to develop before being rushed in.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/11/2019 at 10:06 PM, The 5th Line said:

Hate hearing the truth?  

5th overall pick, draft +2 playing 17 minutes a night in the SM liga is terrible progression for a 5th pick.  Mikko Kokkonen hasn't even been drafted yet and is playing 17 minutes a night in that league, Ville Heniola also not drafted yet played 18 minutes per game, both those players are projected to go late 1st round/early second. Oskari Laaksonen taken in the third round a year later, played 3 minutes more and outproduced Juolevi all while being a year younger and taken 89th overall compared to 5th. Heiskanen played 8 more minutes per game last year compared to Juolevi.  25 - 17.  Although Rob would probably tell you that the website is wrong and Juolevi actually lead the reg season and playoffs in ice time, not Heiskanen.  

I don't need to watch Juolevi play to determine who is better and I'm not afraid to admit it.  It's not the end of the world.  Heiskanen is far superior and likely always will be

Biggest take away,  you don't actually watch him and yet you deride his play.  

Confirmed stat watching should be an embarrassment, especially with such an opinionated poster whom is almost always negative and mostly wrong.  

I will still get a laugh at your ridiculous posts.  If your not going foraughs, well.you should be.  

Not sure if anyone here takes you seriously.  You sure do go quiet when your predictions fail.  

Looking forward to you being proved wrong yet again.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Deride his play, how? by giving credit to a clearly more superior player?  By saying he is a solid prospect? Or for saying he is more likely to become a 3-4 d man as opposed to a 1-2 d-man?  It's called being objective and realistic plus it's just my opinion.  Mostly wrong?  Quit talking out of your butt.   The embarrassing part is people like you would rather take the side of a guy who has been caught lying multiple times as long as it goes along with your fantasy-land ideals.  There are some good people here who enjoy logical discussions.,  Leave us in peace and stop disrupting threads unless you actually bring substance.  

...Jet Woo...

Let the kid grow up a bit in Cagary, let him grow into his body a little more while he can still be a teenager is probably going to do more for him than playing rookie minutes in a pressure packed NHL. Defenceman usually take longer to develope anyways, what's the harm? I don't care who says this player or that player is better. To me, if the Canucks develop him properly, he could be a Shae Weber type defenceman.

Edited by smokes
  • Upvote 1

On 5/12/2019 at 9:50 AM, The Great Canucks said:

Of course Woo is going back to junior. The Hitmen wouldn't have traded for him if they thought he'd might make the NHL this fall.

Yes, Woo might be looking for a fresh start with a new team. From his parents interviw I think he'd be a pretty level headed kid. He can see the numbers game on our back end without stressing over it.

31 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yes, Woo might be looking for a fresh start with a new team. From his parents interviw I think he'd be a pretty level headed kid. He can see the numbers game on our back end without stressing over it.

One advantage is he'll enjoy the development from a different coach

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

One advantage is he'll enjoy the development from a different coach

Woo's probably still a little sour over the team Canada snub. And who wouldn't be in his situation? Look what happened to the Yzerman-St Louis relationship after the 2014 fiasco. 

40 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Woo's probably still a little sour over the team Canada snub. And who wouldn't be in his situation? Look what happened to the Yzerman-St Louis relationship after the 2014 fiasco. 

Yup. They sure could have used his size in that tourney.

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2019 at 5:57 PM, Grape said:

Pavel Datsyuk was drafted in like the 6th round, which means all our forward prospects may be better than him?

Woo will be an interesting D to watch in camp. I’m sure going to miss the Penticton tourney, it really gave the opportunity to get a read on the prospects.

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2019 at 10:00 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

I think there is a chance to repeat the Virtanen situation if Woo is rushed in for sure.

PS OJ THREAD IS OVER THERE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yeah, if they would have picked MT, then this thread would be all about Woooo...lol

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 9:23 AM, smokes said:

Let the kid grow up a bit in Cagary, let him grow into his body a little more while he can still be a teenager is probably going to do more for him than playing rookie minutes in a pressure packed NHL. Defenceman usually take longer to develope anyways, what's the harm? I don't care who says this player or that player is better. To me, if the Canucks develop him properly, he could be a Shae Weber type defenceman.

Last season really showed Vancouver fans that there's something to be excited about in Jett Woo and makes his 37th OA selection a steal.

It seems concerns about being injury prone have been answered and it's very positive. He only missed 6 games last season (issues unknown) and was a very consistent producer. His offense exploded from 0.57 ppg to 1.6 ppg. That's a big time jump and he'll only be 19 at the start of next season which leaves a lot of time to make more improvements.

He also was able to maintain his physical presence which is an attribute we really need on our blueline. 

In this case, I totally agree with your strategy of patience. There's a big opportunity here to develop a star defenseman beyond his projected ceiling. Rushing him could disrupt the positive strides he's made and stall his development.

If caution is taken by the organization, Jett Woo could be a true diamond in the rough and the one 30 other teams regret passing on.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Last season really showed Vancouver fans that there's something to be excited about in Jett Woo and makes his 37th OA selection a steal.

It seems concerns about being injury prone have been answered and it's very positive. He only missed 6 games last season (issues unknown) and was a very consistent producer. His offense exploded from 0.57 ppg to 1.6 ppg. That's a big time jump and he'll only be 19 at the start of next season which leaves a lot of time to make more improvements.

He also was able to maintain his physical presence which is an attribute we really need on our blueline. 

In this case, I totally agree with your strategy of patience. There's a big opportunity here to develop a star defenseman beyond his projected ceiling. Rushing him could disrupt the positive strides he's made and stall his development.

If caution is taken by the organization, Jett Woo could be a true diamond in the rough and the one 30 other teams regret passing on.

Nice post. However, Woo didn't produce at 1.6 ppg. It was more like 1.06. An honest mistake I'm sure.