The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1 minute ago, Aspie said:

The problem with the Virtanen situation was that there was miscommunication for his off-season trainer. He packed on like 30lbs of muscle because he was told to get stronger like a power forward but the extra mass slowed his skating down. That’s why when he did go down to Utica, Travis Green worked his skating and conditioning hard to get him in proper physical form.

Thats not the same as Woo.

Jake probably hit the juice so he did not adjust to his size on the ice as well as he thought. 

No no way you gain 30 lbs of muscle in the off-season without help. 

32 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Jake probably hit the juice so he did not adjust to his size on the ice as well as he thought. 

That is quite the accusation. Boeser put on like 15-20 pounds over last offseason, one that I am pretty sure included him rehabbing from an injury. 

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

That is quite the accusation. Boeser put on like 15-20 pounds over last offseason, one that I am pretty sure included him rehabbing from an injury. 

I bet there are dozens of guys doing this in the NHL. Hutton too. 

It is literally impossible not to gain that much muscle in that short of time. 

Some steroids leave your system in 2-6 weeks. Off-season is long when you lose. Not sure how often the NHL test them and whether or not it is random or on a yearly schedule 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 4:17 PM, Maddogy said:

His stats were inflated by way of playing for a dominant team. His numbers are expected to drop this season. Nonetheless, it is more likely than not that his ceiling was underestimated by many scouts.  I don't expect him to be an offensive D in the NHL, but rather a jack of all trades 2nd pairing D. 

Just how were his stats inflated?  

Cause he produced at a lower rate the previous year.  

Stat watching can work with some players but Woo isn't one of them.  

Dig deeper on his pre draft year to understand his stats better and you wont think his d +1 season is so inflated.  

Woo would have gone much higher if he had not gotten injured.  His team was forced to add d men as result via trade and Woo had a different role when he returned to the ice.  

On 7/3/2019 at 2:21 AM, RetroCanuck said:

He can always be sent to Juniors later. What we should have done with Virtanen

The 9 game limit can be overly focused on.  Driasitl was sent back down after 40 games.  

With our new improved d core, 9 games spread out would be great for Woo. Give him a taste of the NHL experience.  He should finish out his jr career after.  WJC and Memorial cup play.  Then into the AHL system.  

Woo can push for a spot next year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/4/2019 at 8:56 AM, Sandro17 said:

Anyone else think its cool that when we shout WOOOOOO!!! in the arena, we'll be shouting this guys name? :D

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

On 7/4/2019 at 3:37 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

I've always heard that hockey players lose weight over the course of the season so it would not be hard to imagine the players regaining that weight during the off season due to less work. I would not believe he put on 30 pounds of solid muscle. From what I remember of his pictures back then, he wasn't exactly ripped.

3 hours ago, smokes said:

I'd much rather Woo ferment in the CHL for another year, as a HItman, he would be relied upon as a leader on the team. He will have an extra year of playing for Team Canada in different tournaments. With the depth of the defence the Canucks have now, Woo would be lucky to come off the press box most nights or be regulated to the bottom pairing. At least in the CHL, he gets games in and would be relied upon as a top pairing defenceman.   

Totally agree.

Woo would have to bust down the door during training camp and perform like a top 4 D clearly for him to stay. That would be awesome if he did but it is much more realistic that he plays junior and WJC in the coming year.

If he stayed, with the depth on D the Canucks now have, that could only mean he performed at a very high level imo.

• Upvote 4

I love the feistiness that this guy brings. He will make it so unpleasant for opposition forwards hovering around our net. I can't wait until he makes his debut as a Canuck, but he's still quite young and could use the extra year developing. 

No rush, but he is still my dark horse candidate for making the team after training camp. 

A Benn, Woo bottom pairing would be pretty fun to watch... and Woo could get additional minutes on the 2nd unit PP if he earned them

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We now have a glut of young D. and D. in general...with Hughes and Juolevi ( at some point ) making the team this year and Myers and Benn added...

There is now way Woo can push his way on to the  team this year...even if he deserved it.

With the style of game he plays, another year in Jr. is going to better prepare him for getting crunched by NHL brutes taking revenge on Woo's hits....

We don't need 3 rookie defensemen on the team...it just isn't going to happen that way....

He is a physical Dman and if his body isn't ready for playing his game with men, he could get hurt and we end up with a broken prospect.  Keep him in Jr. and when he is out of the WHL Playoffs he can join Utica and let him transition slower.

• Upvote 4

On 7/9/2019 at 11:43 PM, Provost said:

No rush, but he is still my dark horse candidate for making the team after training camp. 

A Benn, Woo bottom pairing would be pretty fun to watch... and Woo could get additional minutes on the 2nd unit PP if he earned them

I would sooner see him develop his offensive creativity in Jr. It’s hard to work on that in the NHL trying to keep your head above water defending against the best players in the world. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

I would sooner see him develop his offensive creativity in Jr. It’s hard to work on that in the NHL trying to keep your head above water defending against the best players in the world. 

Good point, rather have a player thats more confident and developed, than just there like you said, keeping his head above water.

Bubbleman stage in Megaman 2 has one of the best soundtracks of all of video game history

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Even in some opposing rinks I could still hear a lot of fans cheering for me, and the number of fans I've met has been unbelievable," said Woo. "I take it as a positive, people know me, they want to watch me play, want to see how I am off the ice."

Every time a fan “Woo”’s he thinks they’re cheering for him. That’s adorable. lol

Edited by NorthWestNuck
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1