On 7/3/2019 at 2:21 AM, RetroCanuck said:

He can always be sent to Juniors later. What we should have done with Virtanen

The 9 game limit can be overly focused on.  Driasitl was sent back down after 40 games.  

With our new improved d core, 9 games spread out would be great for Woo. Give him a taste of the NHL experience.  He should finish out his jr career after.  WJC and Memorial cup play.  Then into the AHL system.  

Woo can push for a spot next year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Anyone else think its cool that when we shout WOOOOOO!!! in the arena, we'll be shouting this guys name? :D

• Hydration 1

On 7/4/2019 at 8:56 AM, Sandro17 said:

Anyone else think its cool that when we shout WOOOOOO!!! in the arena, we'll be shouting this guys name? :D

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

On 7/4/2019 at 3:37 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Jake probably hit the juice so he did not adjust to his size on the ice as well as he thought. 

No no way you gain 30 lbs of muscle in the off-season without help. 

I've always heard that hockey players lose weight over the course of the season so it would not be hard to imagine the players regaining that weight during the off season due to less work. I would not believe he put on 30 pounds of solid muscle. From what I remember of his pictures back then, he wasn't exactly ripped.

3 hours ago, smokes said:

I'd much rather Woo ferment in the CHL for another year, as a HItman, he would be relied upon as a leader on the team. He will have an extra year of playing for Team Canada in different tournaments. With the depth of the defence the Canucks have now, Woo would be lucky to come off the press box most nights or be regulated to the bottom pairing. At least in the CHL, he gets games in and would be relied upon as a top pairing defenceman.   

Totally agree.

Woo would have to bust down the door during training camp and perform like a top 4 D clearly for him to stay. That would be awesome if he did but it is much more realistic that he plays junior and WJC in the coming year.

If he stayed, with the depth on D the Canucks now have, that could only mean he performed at a very high level imo.

• Upvote 4

Stoked to see how he handles the big ice.  Having to cover that much room will be a good learning experience for him going forward.  Nothing wrong with giving him some extra time in Junior.

• Hydration 1

I love the feistiness that this guy brings. He will make it so unpleasant for opposition forwards hovering around our net. I can't wait until he makes his debut as a Canuck, but he's still quite young and could use the extra year developing. 

• Upvote 1

No rush, but he is still my dark horse candidate for making the team after training camp. 

A Benn, Woo bottom pairing would be pretty fun to watch... and Woo could get additional minutes on the 2nd unit PP if he earned them

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We now have a glut of young D. and D. in general...with Hughes and Juolevi ( at some point ) making the team this year and Myers and Benn added...

There is now way Woo can push his way on to the  team this year...even if he deserved it.

With the style of game he plays, another year in Jr. is going to better prepare him for getting crunched by NHL brutes taking revenge on Woo's hits....

We don't need 3 rookie defensemen on the team...it just isn't going to happen that way....

He is a physical Dman and if his body isn't ready for playing his game with men, he could get hurt and we end up with a broken prospect.  Keep him in Jr. and when he is out of the WHL Playoffs he can join Utica and let him transition slower.

• Upvote 4

Even if Woo COULD play in the NHL, one more year to develop isn't a bad idea.  When he is ready, I'm sure he will get an opportunity.

• Hydration 1

On 7/9/2019 at 11:43 PM, Provost said:

No rush, but he is still my dark horse candidate for making the team after training camp. 

A Benn, Woo bottom pairing would be pretty fun to watch... and Woo could get additional minutes on the 2nd unit PP if he earned them

I would sooner see him develop his offensive creativity in Jr. It’s hard to work on that in the NHL trying to keep your head above water defending against the best players in the world. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

I would sooner see him develop his offensive creativity in Jr. It’s hard to work on that in the NHL trying to keep your head above water defending against the best players in the world. 

Good point, rather have a player thats more confident and developed, than just there like you said, keeping his head above water.

Bubbleman stage in Megaman 2 has one of the best soundtracks of all of video game history

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)

"Even in some opposing rinks I could still hear a lot of fans cheering for me, and the number of fans I've met has been unbelievable," said Woo. "I take it as a positive, people know me, they want to watch me play, want to see how I am off the ice."

Every time a fan “Woo”’s he thinks they’re cheering for him. That’s adorable. lol

Edited by NorthWestNuck
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I don't mind him staying on the big squad for a few games to train and practice with men.  Even playing a few games if injuries occurs.  

If he gets overwhelmed, it will just be a good teaching lesson for him, that he has lots to work on.  That junior hockey shouldn't be just to coast, but an opportunity to really use the feedback given by the coaches to improve his technique, decision-making, and strength to make the next step to the pros.  

Should he look very comfortable in the NHL, then it will be a good thing for him.  Either he can stick and thus the Canucks may have assets to move around... or that it will be a real confidence booster that he isn't far from making it to the NHL.  That he will take what he learned and dominate juniors.  

There is no such thing as "ruining" a prospect, short of injuries.  If players get so shell-shocked over simple adversary, they won't have much of a career anyways.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I don't mind him staying on the big squad for a few games to train and practice with men. 

Unless we have a slew of injuries (which would suck), roster limits prevent this sort of thing.

• Hydration 1

On 7/11/2019 at 3:06 PM, kloubek said:

Even if Woo COULD play in the NHL, one more year to develop isn't a bad idea.  When he is ready, I'm sure he will get an opportunity.

It's unlikely we see JW in Van inside of three years.  Two if we're very lucky.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

It's unlikely we see JW in Van inside of three years.  Two if we're very lucky.

Benn’s got two years.  Woo will play one more year of junior and one in the A.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3