The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

10 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

really hope he makes the bigs at some point.

Sadly every athlete has a plateau in some cases it comes early in their career other keep progressing as  they age. Woo played well 2 years ago in Moose Jaw, and earned invite to Canadas WJC camp, he did get cut but he was invited. Last season he played in Calgary, lessor stats and no invite to the WJC camp. He's going in the wrong direction. Right now it's just fingers crossed. Who knows some thing might snap into place. I hope he graduated from High School

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Fact:  more players playing in the NHL never got an invite to their countries WJC team than did.  This high profile event gets way more emphasis than it deserves imo when considering whether a prospect will/won't play in the NHL. 

Yeah numbers alone dictate that only a select few play for their country. Here's the thing, the selection is made by independent scouts who have no dog in the fight so yes it does mean some thing. Podkolzin will play as will Hogelander, it means some thing

45 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Here's the thing, the selection is made by independent scouts who have no dog in the fight so yes it does mean some thing.

This is incorrect. 

The scouting is done by Hockey Canada scouts and Sr hockey Canada coaches/management make the final decisions.  They ABSOLUTELY have a 'dog in the fight' and are looking for very specific traits in each player selected.  Not to mention the fact that Hockey Canada has an unwritten rule that they try to, as best as possible, even out the number of players from each of the main CHL leagues (with some exceptions here/there for Jr. A/NCAA) which means that often players who are worthy of making the team do not simply because of political reasons. 

Yes it means something to be selected/invited but it has ZERO impact on whether a kid ends up playing in the NHL or not.

Edited by Fanuck

"Hockey Canada scouts and Sr hockey Canada coaches/management", exactly! they have no allegiance to the Canucks, Hitmen etc. I agree they don't have any impact on who will play in the NHL. The point is Woo made to the WJC invite when he was 18 but not so when he was 19 and it's a 19 year old tourney fro the most part, plus his stats were worse as a 19 year old than when he was 18 Lets just keep our finger crossed

It's too early to assume he's "plateaued". It's likely different circumstances on a different team. It doesn't mean he's not progressing, it's just likely harder to see at the moment. I wouldn't put too much thought into things at this point. Maybe when he gets to the AHL level, then we can see where he's truly at.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 hours ago, The Lock said:

It's too early to assume he's "plateaued". It's likely different circumstances on a different team. It doesn't mean he's not progressing, it's just likely harder to see at the moment. I wouldn't put too much thought into things at this point. Maybe when he gets to the AHL level, then we can see where he's truly at.

A year in Europe would do wonders for Woo, even in the Swiss or German men's leagues.  Things just aren't looking good for the AHL right now going into next year.  

On 9/24/2020 at 11:04 AM, Fred65 said:

Sadly every athlete has a plateau in some cases it comes early in their career other keep progressing as  they age. Woo played well 2 years ago in Moose Jaw, and earned invite to Canadas WJC camp, he did get cut but he was invited. Last season he played in Calgary, lessor stats and no invite to the WJC camp. He's going in the wrong direction. Right now it's just fingers crossed. Who knows some thing might snap into place. I hope he graduated from High School

Hmm.  Well The Hockey Writers disagree, said he was one of the WHLs best defenders last year and see him as a lock for the top four.   Ranked him 85 in their top 100 prospects in the world list.    One spot ahead of OJ.   So wouldn’t worry about his future - soon he will be making a very good living in the AHL - and eventually get his shot. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   People who just look at the stats can’t get the real picture.  Spend some time and read into what scouts have to say about him and for the most part it’s glowing.   Woo is Bieksa 2.0 possibly.   Ranked in the top 100 by some, for a second rounder that’s a great thing.   Definitely not someone we should trade. He hasn’t “plateaud” one bit.   Next up a level higher.   See how he does with that.   And you just never know he could be in a Canucks uniform faster then some think.   Considered a top 25 D prospect in the entire planet is not a small thing at all. 

What prompted me to question his progression/regression is the fact the scouts for Hockey Canada saw fit to exclude him from the Canadian WJC summer try outs. The WJC is a primarily a 19 year old team and where as the year before he had been invited ( then cut ) this last year they didn't even give him an invite. It may not be every thing bit the HC scouts were not impressed. I suspect he wa given more opportunity in Medicine Hat

19 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

What prompted me to question his progression/regression is the fact the scouts for Hockey Canada saw fit to exclude him from the Canadian WJC summer try outs. The WJC is a primarily a 19 year old team and where as the year before he had been invited ( then cut ) this last year they didn't even give him an invite. It may not be every thing bit the HC scouts were not impressed. I suspect he wa given more opportunity in Medicine Hat

Your insistence on referring to WJC participation as a measure of a player's potential to make the NHL is very myopic. 

With your logic, players such as Chara, Giordano, Seguin, Pavelski, Holtby, and Kieth wouldn't have made the NHL either because they never played for their respective countries at the WJC.  The WJC selection process, especially in a country like Canada with a bounty of players playing in a variety of different leagues is often as politically motivated as it is skill/ability motivated. 

I, like many others, enjoy it when Canucks prospects make their WJC teams, but I put no weight on whether they'll make the NHL or not based on this tournament. 

Players get drafted by NHL teams for their potential to play in the NHL, not WJC. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

That’s not a great metric.  A lot of stud WJ players don’t make it - and a lot of low level or guys that don’t make it do great.   Problem with both the draft and the WJs is a lot of players improve or are caught up to and passed by the time they are 20...  How many defenseman from Canada make it anyways?   Top two or three from the WHL, OHL and QHL right?  OJ was drafted 5 and Puljajarvi 4 from the gold medal FIN team case in point. 

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Your insistence on referring to WJC participation as a measure of a player's potential to make the NHL is very myopic. 

With your logic, players such as Chara, Giordano, Seguin, Pavelski, Holtby, and Kieth wouldn't have made the NHL either because they never played for their respective countries at the WJC.  The WJC selection process, especially in a country like Canada with a bounty of players playing in a variety of different leagues is often as politically motivated as it is skill/ability motivated. 

I, like many others, enjoy it when Canucks prospects make their WJC teams, but I put no weight on whether they'll make the NHL or not based on this tournament. 

Players get drafted by NHL teams for their potential to play in the NHL, not WJC. 

Yep.   How many WJ stars turn out to be just average or don’t make it at all.  A lot of players.   A lot of goalies especially. 

• Cheers 1