The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

So I also like that Woo has a tendency to smash oncoming forwards in the neutral zone. I saw him as predominantly a physical & defensive D.

Bracket on interview suggested he also has pretty darn good puck & scoring skills, With the Warriors, he noted Jett started the season on a PPG pace. Got injured, and by the time he returned they had traded for some incoming PMD & PPQB help. So his role changed, but that the Canucks felt he was very capable of playing in all situations. Which included being able to rush the puck & play PP, even at the NHL level?

Hmmmmn... 

Can u post link to JB or Brackett comments on any of the players?

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

So I also like that Woo has a tendency to smash oncoming forwards in the neutral zone. I saw him as predominantly a physical & defensive D.

Bracket on interview suggested he also has pretty darn good puck & scoring skills, With the Warriors, he noted Jett started the season on a PPG pace. Got injured, and by the time he returned they had traded for some incoming PMD & PPQB help. So his role changed, but that the Canucks felt he was very capable of playing in all situations. Which included being able to rush the puck & play PP, even at the NHL level?

Hmmmmn... 

Definitely has some offensive ability that didn’t quite show up in the stats last season (largely due to the reasons you mentioned).

I think you get a good sense of his offensive upside in some of the the highlights from the vid I posted earlier (SEER).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hmmmmn... 

I remember his PPG being very close as well. I think he had like 16 pts in 18gp before he got injured. 

Had an injury plagued season. Kid's only 17 years old, hopefully his role increases next year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I remember his PPG being very close as well. I think he had like 16 pts in 18gp before he got injured. 

Had an injury plagued season. Kid's only 17 years old, hopefully his role increases next year.

That's pretty young, I did not realize!

And 200lbs at 6' is god like for a young guy who can motor. Its not baby fat the way he moves...

It will be fun to see what he looks like at 21 or 22 with NHL calibre training programs under his belt? I can see more and more why the Canucks liked this pick!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I remember watching him earlier in the year being on the PP. Later in the year, I had forgotten he was injured, but during the playoff games against Swift Current (I went to two) and a few before the playoffs, I always wondered why he was no longer on the powerplay. Thought he was an asset there. 

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You’re much closer to the truth than the fellow claiming this club is “instantly harder to play against” with Woo and Gadjovich on it. Two guys don’t make a lick of difference. Especially not two guys who aren’t on the first line, etc. 

Yeah but...you know...there's

Artyom Manukyan

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Watching his post draft presser, this kid seems like a real character, can't help but like him straight away.  Let's hope that if he makes it to the big time, he doesn't lose that natural style when being interviewed.  Too many NHLers talk in clichés and just repeat the same old bland answers.  It's refreshing to listen to a youngster that seems comfortable in the spotlight.  Welcome to Vancity Jett.

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

Woo plays a physical but clean game and Gadj plays a hard-nosed game. But I think the Canucks will need more toughness than that to be harder than average to play against. Looking 2 or 3 years down the road, Guddy should still be here and Virtanen will probably still be here playing a physical game. But the Canucks would, in my view, still need some additional size and toughness, preferably a physical power forward type and another physically imposing D. Even in today's NHL, with high skill but relatively non-physical stars like Boeser, Pettersson, and now Hughes, it will be important to complement that. Horvat is very strong and wins puck battles and holds his own in front of the net. Leipsic plays with a bit of an edge, and so does Gaudette, so that will help. 

That is true, but it far from clear that Woo will be a #4 D-man. While some great Ds have come from the second round, going by the averages, getting just a legitimate 3rd pairing D in the second round is good. Getting a top 4 D is great.

Woo's injury kind of derailed his season and led to him dropping lower in the draft than he otherwise would have gone so, assuming the injury was a one-off that is behind him, we can be optimistic. So I do expect him to play in the NHL, and he has a shot to become a top 4 D. He also seems like a very nice kid and I am really pulling for him. Hope he has a big year in the WHL next year.

It is fun to imagine pairings (like Woo and Hughes). But I remember how stoked everyone was about a potential Hutton/Guddy pairing when the Guddy trade was announced.

If Hughes makes the team next year, I would put him with Tanev --giving him the best chance to be successful. Edler and Stecher showed that they play well together last year, even in a shutdown role. That would leave Guddy and probably MDZ as the third pairing, with Juolevi in Utica, and Pouliot or Hutton as 7th man  Hard to see both Juolevi and Hughes on the team and, based on their performance last year, I would say Hughes is closer to being NHL ready.

The fact that Hughes played pretty well in the IIHF world championships is very impressive. Several of those teams were probably better than the average NHL team, and Hughes showed he could play effectively at that level. Also, despite being the youngest D in the NCAA last year, a number of people say that, by the end of the season, he was the best D in the NCAA. Using normal transition probabilities, that suggests he would be a decent NHL player this year. However, as I indicated in a previous message, I kind of favor him going back to Michigan where he can have a great year instead of maybe struggling a bit on a team that is likely to struggle. But it is a close call. And having him in Utica might be good.

I do think Macewen takes a 4th line spot at some point. He will help with physicality. Lind isn't Macewen but he's also no shrinking violet. We basically just need help until them and the guys you mention are ready.

Edited by FlyLow_

12 hours ago, Shiftynifty said:

Seen a few posters talk about his concussion issues, but I haven’t found any info regarding it. Anyone have insights? I only see a shoulder injury. 

he said he never had a concussion in one of his interveiws, dont think he' lie about that, probs on record if he did.