The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

Projection:

Madden likely goes in the second or third round and could provide one of the best values of the entire draft. He doesn’t get the attention that some of the other American centers get. Not sure I understand the low ranking given everything he does. It isn’t always pretty but it’s effective. That’s why he’s an early second rounder for me just inside my top-40.
Quotables:

“He’s blazing fast on skates and moves with amazing agility, versatility and explosiveness. He has a great mind for the game, at which he excels both on offense and defense, and really takes charge of matters when he’s out there. A true leader at age 18.” –Kevin Wickersham/Dobber Prospects

“Tough, speedy pivot with NHL bloodlines who is always looking to attack but does so in a controlled and intelligent manner. Madden can stickhandle his way around just about anything and anyone — his agility and directional changes devastate slower defenders. There aren’t many draft-eligible prospects who know how to use their speed to expand the ice surface during tight-checking affairs, but Madden absolutely is one of them. He has to be an enigma to opposing coaches because he’s as dangerous taking the puck wide as he is in a direct route to the net — Madden has very good vision and his centering feeds rarely appear forced or illogical. When the game slows down, he’ll get his nose dirty in the corners and fight for real estate in front of the net — something he probably picked up from his father John, who was one of the NHL’s top defensive forwards and was a three-time Stanley Cup winner.” –Steve Kournianos/The Draft Analyst

Strengths:

• Great skater w/ explosive speed
  • Plays very physical game
  • Excellent hands

Improvements to make:

• Size and strength
  • Faceoffs

NHL Potential

Madden’s upside is that of a middle six center who can play both ends of the ice effectively. If he’s anything like his father was, Tyler will find himself in big situations making an impact on the game in a way the score sheet won’t always show.

Risk-Reward Analysis

Risk – 3/5, Reward – 4/5

Fantasy Hockey Potential

Offence – 7.5/10, Defence – 7.5/10

Awards/Achievements

Madden was named to the USHL All-Rookie Second Team this past season. He was named the MVP of the USHL Top Prospects Game as well.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Filling out the depth with someone who'll be a very good role player for us.  He doesn't play small.

And he's got room on that frame for a few pounds.  Might end up playing at 180-190

1 minute ago, diesel_3 said:

All the people whining about size.

Remember how frustrating it was when we had to watch Marek Malik, Taylor Pyatt, Steve Bernier, etc all not USE their size? This kid plays big, has a motor that doesn't quit, and plays a solid 2-way game. That's good enough for me.

Malik had that one sick shootout goal with the Rangers that one time, therefor we should have drafted someone as big, if not bigger, than him.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

All the people whining about size.

Remember how frustrating it was when we had to watch Marek Malik, Taylor Pyatt, Steve Bernier, etc all not USE their size? This kid plays big, has a motor that doesn't quit, and plays a solid 2-way game. That's good enough for me.

Our next Dorset?