The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

3 hours ago, tas said:

will canucks fans build madden up with expectations of epic proportions, only to shred him mercilessly when he fails to meet them?

stay tuned for cole cassels 2.0.

I, myself, have been guilty of over hyping players in the past.

I was stoked when we picked up Gadjovich and had him slotted into a second line role before he even got to shake Bennings hand at the draft. His pro debut has brought me back to reality and serves as a reminder of why these players were picked in lower rounds. Gadget may have been a second pick which still isn't too shabby but it is apparent he needs to do a lot of work before he can be considered for a big league spot.

While I am encouraged by Madden's play at the WJC, we must remember he's a third round pick, telling me, there are issues with his game. Whether it be size, consistency, or issues in particular zones, Madden, like Gadjovich, has a lot of work to do before we hail him the next big thing in the big show.

That being said, I am very encouraged by what I've seen of him so far.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

I, myself, have been guilty of over hyping players in the past.

I was stoked when we picked up Gadjovich and had him slotted into a second line role before he even got to shake Bennings hand at the draft. His pro debut has brought me back to reality and serves as a reminder of why these players were picked in lower rounds. Gadget may have been a second pick which still isn't too shabby but it is apparent he needs to do a lot of work before he can be considered for a big league spot.

While I am encouraged by Madden's play at the WJC, we must remember he's a third round pick, telling me, there are issues with his game. Whether it be size, consistency, or issues in particular zones, Madden, like Gadjovich, has a lot of work to do before we hail him the next big thing in the big show.

That being said, I am very encouraged by what I've seen of him so far.

Size would have been the reason he did't go in the 2nd round...everything else is there....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

haha although I agree with you for the most part, his rookie season in the NCAA has been very impressive and he deserves the hype right now. If Cassels wasn't hampered by so many injuries he may have become a better player.

Madden deserves the hype for the way he is currently playing this year, and that was recognized by the US organization and he's proving them right now.

I agree. Madden is backing up what he is doing in the NCAA with a great performance in wjhc. 

Had Cassels achieved what he did (head to head playoffs against Mcdavid) as a rookie or sophomore in the CHL and followed that up with a wjhc invite where he performed well, the hype would he justified. 

Madden is playing top line for Northeastern as a rookie. That's pretty insane. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

It's so true though. People put way too much stock in this tournament.

It's more the fact that he was selected due to his amazing start to his NCAA season. This tournament is whatever, but the fact that his coaches are counting on him to play heavy minutes means a lot.

On 1/2/2019 at 5:33 AM, tas said:

will canucks fans build madden up with expectations of epic proportions, only to shred him mercilessly when he fails to meet them?

stay tuned for cole cassels 2.0.

Cassels suffered some serious, long term, very debilitating core injuries that set him back through the heart of his draft plus years.

Why would Madden necessarily fail to live up to expectations?   He's driven.  I doubt he's going to 'disappoint.'

Regardless - he was a great pick, and clearly a key piece of that US team.  No reason to assume he's going to follow a Cassels trajectory - that's kind of a negative equivalency on your part is it not?

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Cassels suffered some serious, long term, very debilitating core injuries that set him back through the heart of his draft plus years.

Why would Madden necessarily fail to live up to expectations?   He's driven.  I doubt he's going to 'disappoint.'

Regardless - he was a great pick, and clearly a key piece of that US team.  No reason to assume he's going to follow a Cassels trajectory - that's kind of a negative equivalency on your part is it not?

I think he was just joking, the only real similarities between the two are that their dads played in the show lol

3 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I think he was just joking, the only real similarities between the two are that their dads played in the show lol 

I think I was joking - taking a rhetorical quesion and giving it a literal response.  Or maybe not lol.

But the premise assumes Madden won't turn out, so I don't see the humour lol.

30 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think I was joking - taking a rhetorical quesion and giving it a literal response.  Or maybe not lol.

But the premise assumes Madden won't turn out, so I don't see the humour lol.

I dunno, I think after this tourney most opinions have changed. Honestly as soon as he took the NCAA by storm I was hopefully. He's a gem.

6 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I dunno, I think after this tourney most opinions have changed. Honestly as soon as he took the NCAA by storm I was hopefully. He's a gem.

Mine hasn't.  I still think he's going to be better than Kesler.  But no pressure lol.

• Upvote 1

Madden was really good last game. In addition to the two assists in the highlights, he had a shift in the third on the PP that might have been competition for “The Shift” by the twins, in terms of pure puck possession dominance. NU spend the full two minutes in the attacking zone, but just couldn’t find the back of the net. Madden made a handful of brilliant plays to hold possession and control puck movement in the zone. Had things ended in a goal, he might’ve ended up with a highlight pack to rival the Sedins.

• Upvote 3