The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

This kid has been absolutely outstanding this year. His skill level and compete has been amazing and he still has so much room to grow physically. We may really have a centre dispute in a few years considering the skill we have down the middle. Its a great problem to have and this kids continued growth is going to be huge for our cup winning year of 2022-23!

29 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I doubt Top 10, but yes I agree Madden would be a first rounder for sure. Great pick by Benning-Bracket and Co. 

By comparison to other prominent American forwards drafted in the first two rounds in the 2018 draft and playing in the NCAA this season:

Oliver Wahlstrom, 11th overall; NCAA: 15GP - 4G - 1A - 5P // WJC: 7GP - 2G - 2A - 4P

Joel Farabee, 14th overall; NCAA: 18GP - 6G - 9A - 15P // WJC: 7GP - 3G - 2A - 5P

Jay O'Brien, 19th overall; NCAA: 11GP - 2G - 1A - 3P // WJC: 7GP - 0G - 0A - 0P

Jack Drury, 42nd overall; NCAA: 13GP - 4G - 10A - 14P // WJC: 7GP - 0G - 0A - 0P

Tyler Madden, 68th overall; NCAA: 16GP - 6G - 12A - 18P // WJC: 7GP - 3G - 1A - 4P

Jake Wise, 69th overall; NCAA: 12GP - 0G - 2A - 2P // Invited to World Junior Summer Showcase, did not make team

Top 10 may be a bit of a stretch, but I think top 15 in a re-draft, this soon after he was drafted is pretty unreal

Benning and his staff certainly know what they're doing

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

If Tyler keeps the pace he's going, he'll probably sign with the Canucks after next season. NHL C depth is crucial. Having him as another option (on top of Horvat/Pettersson/Gaudette/Beagle) will only help this team. Really rooting for this kid and so glad we picked him over Jake Wise. I hope he's a steal, that would be nice.

9 hours ago, Quantum said:

If Tyler keeps the pace he's going, he'll probably sign with the Canucks after next season. NHL C depth is crucial. Having him as another option (on top of Horvat/Pettersson/Gaudette/Beagle) will only help this team. Really rooting for this kid and so glad we picked him over Jake Wise. I hope he's a steal, that would be nice.

If you really want this kid to succeed keep him playing in the NCAA. Their development programme is so much better than any thing the Canucks can offer  :lol:

10 hours ago, Quantum said:

Yep and his overall play will only get better as he gets stronger. Listed at 5'11" 150lbs on EliteProspects so if he added 25ish pounds to his frame in the next couple years he has the potential to be a strong workhorse for us in both the offensive and defensive zones.

"A highly skilled offensive player with great active mobility and hockey sense. Through the neutral zone, sets up his teammates with well-timed passes and can do so at top speed. Works efficiently in his own zone if he doesn't get caught up around the blue line or the top of the circles, where decisions need to be made quicker. His puck possession play speaks for itself: he has a great release on his shot, quick hands and feet, and exhibits good timing and habits when tasked with protecting the puck. All-in-all, Tyler Madden is a player with the instincts and skating to develop into a reliable offensive asset to any team." (Curtis Joe, EP 2018)

30 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Yep and his overall play will only get better as he gets stronger. Listed at 5'11" 150lbs on EliteProspects so if he added 25ish pounds to his frame in the next couple years he has the potential to be a strong workhorse for us in both the offensive and defensive zones.

"A highly skilled offensive player with great active mobility and hockey sense. Through the neutral zone, sets up his teammates with well-timed passes and can do so at top speed. Works efficiently in his own zone if he doesn't get caught up around the blue line or the top of the circles, where decisions need to be made quicker. His puck possession play speaks for itself: he has a great release on his shot, quick hands and feet, and exhibits good timing and habits when tasked with protecting the puck. All-in-all, Tyler Madden is a player with the instincts and skating to develop into a reliable offensive asset to any team." (Curtis Joe, EP 2018)

Madden is playing well but there is zero reason to believe he won't play at least 1 more year, if not 2, in the NCAA.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Madden is playing well but there is zero reason to believe he won't play at least 1 more year, if not 2, in the NCAA.

Didn't say he wouldn't. I think he definitely needs one more year in the NCAA to grow that strength and mass I referred to. But if his play is elite at the end of next year then Id definitely like to see him graduate to the AHL

He's been excellent this year so heres hoping he continues to progress and gets gradually stronger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlastPast said:

Care to show your math on that one ?

Basic addition every one can do … I think the NCAA have developed the following players for Vcr. Hutton, Stecher, Boeser, Tanev and Gaudette. That according to my math is 5 players …. Utica not so much. Or so it seems to me

31 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Basic addition every one can do … I think the NCAA have developed the following players for Vcr. Hutton, Stecher, Boeser, Tanev and Gaudette. That according to my math is 5 players …. Utica not so much. Or so it seems to me

Gaudette Virtanen , Goldobin, Demko, Markstrom, Baertschi have all spent time in Utica developing, and that's not including players there who have yet to play but will eventually. I'm not suggesting one is way better than the other but I am suggesting one isn't way better than the other.  There is also age and eligibility factors .  Most 18-19 year olds will clearly be better off in the NCAA or CHL compared to the AHL after which we have been fortunate enough to have some players ready fo the NHL .

5 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Gaudette Virtanen , Goldobin, Demko, Markstrom, Baertschi have all spent time in Utica developing, and that's not including players there who have yet to play but will eventually. I'm not suggesting one is way better than the other but I am suggesting one isn't way better than the other.  There is also age and eligibility factors .  Most 18-19 year olds will clearly be better off in the NCAA or CHL compared to the AHL after which we have been fortunate enough to have some players ready fo the NHL .

Come on man they had a cup of coffee ( apart from Markstrom and frankly goalies have guaranteed starts and coaches assigned dirctly for them ) Certainly Virtanen spent a season but when he arrived back in Vcr he was no different than when he went ot Utica, his numbers were poor and his first year back in Vcr was very poor too, it was only this year he's shown any ability, forget his time in Utica his development stalled down there, in short I don't see Utica in the Virtanen development. As to Juolevi he's very much a  wait and see, we can't speculate or dream.

6 hours ago, BlastPast said:

I don't really think your examples are all that great. I get trying to form an argument but you've literally created nothing here with a solid foundation.

Gaudette was in the NCAA before Utica. How is that even supposed to be a point in your favour when Gaudette's clearly spent years more time in the NCAA than in Utica, part of which is even on the Canucks themselves.

Virtanen was rushed. Went to Utica for a year and just now in his 4th year is playing well. Not to mention he was kind of drafted much earlier than Gaudette, or even Boeser for that matter (as much as I am against bringing up that point).

Goldobin's spent most of his development with the Sharks or on the Canucks. He's spent very little time in Utica. He had 2 full seasons with the San Jose farm team. Only 33 games in Utica. Not enough to be considered a lot of "development in Utica" in perspective.

Demko, again, was in the NCAA before Utica. Not exactly a point in anyone's favour and silly to bring it up if you're trying to provide an argument.

Markstrom was in Florida for a lot of his development. 34 games played with the Comets. That 1/4th the games he played with Florida's farm team.

Baertschi was in Calgary for a lot of his development. Is 15 games with the Comets supposed to make Utica seem great? Why is he even mentioned in this?

Literally. All of your examples can be easily rebutted.

I'm not going to argue for and against either. I'm just more pointing out your examples pretty much say nothing, if anything actually put JameB in favour. Your examples are not exactly what I would consider to be something that tells me Utica's "as good if not better" than the NCAA. They kind of do the opposite for me outside looking into this discussion/

Edited by The Lock

The initial point I disagreed with was that the NCAA was '"much" better for development than Utica .  You with me so far ?  He named several players that did indeed develop in the NCAA .  OK ?  The fact they developed (entirely or in part) in the NCAA is really irrelevant because you can't say they wouldn't have in Utica.  Now if you had a list of quality prospects that went to Utica and whose development suffered as a result that would help your case.  Granted, some of the players I mentioned didn't do a lot of time in Utica but the fact remains that when they arrived there they weren't full time NHLers and now they are (or at least well on their way) so you can't make the case that Utica disturbed their progress.  Virtanen was rushed ? That's another debate and again, irrelevant because he absolutely did considerable time there and seemingly benefited.  Markstrom spent a whole season there .  Demko more than that.  Gaudette on that same path.   Unless of course as soon as a player spends one minute in the NCAA all progress after that is credited to their respective school. Is that what you are suggesting? When Goldobin arrived to this team he was not an everyday NHL player and now he is ( albeit inconsistent) .  He thrived during his somewhat brief stint in Utica and came out the other side an NHL player. Baertschi: same story. 

I wasn't suggesting  Utica was some kind of excellence academy but that I disagreed that NCAA was "way" better.   I mentioned some players that did do time in Utica(to varying degrees) and didn't seem to suffer for it.  The fact they did time elsewhere before is a pretty moot point.  

Hopefully that clears things up for you as far as understanding my perspective.