The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

15 hours ago, cyoung said:

Ugh you are like LaVar Ball

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Easily one of the more ridiculous posts I’ve seen in a while. Thanks!

I am almost the only guy on here who predicted we would be pushing for a playoff spot this year....everybody said the very same thing as you guys..."ridiculous"

I said Horvat, Stetcher, Hutton, Boeser and EP would be who they are now when almost everybody else was saying "no way they need another year" or "never be more than a 4th line centre" or "to small to make it"

I said before the season started that Jake and Troy and Ben would all make big strides this year...it is happening just like I said.

...I could go on with more...but enough for now...

So you guys carry on calling me out ...until I get proven right every time....and they you can call me out on the next thing I will get proven right on...

I do enjoy this...

Just watch..!

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

30 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I am almost the only guy on here who predicted we would be pushing for a playoff spot this year....everybody said the very same thing as you guys..."ridiculous"

I said Horvat, Stetcher, Hutton, Boeser and EP would be who they are now when almost everybody else was saying "no way they need another year" or "never be more than a 4th line centre" or "to small to make it"

I said before the season started that Jake and Troy and Ben would all make big strides this year...it is happening just like I said.

So you guys carry on calling me out ...until I get proven right every time....and they you can call me out on the next thing I will get proven right on...

I do enjoy this...

Just watch..!

Nope

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I do enjoy this...

Just watch..!

Iv been saying we'd push for playoffs all summer. Lots of people have. 

Much easier to predict pros than it is prospects. He is most likely returning to NCAA next year thus giving him 0 chance at cracking the NHL or AHL next year. Maybe AHL in 2 years. Im excited for his progress but slow it down man lol

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Iv been saying we'd push for playoffs all summer. Lots of people have. 

Much easier to predict pros than it is prospects. He is most likely returning to NCAA next year thus giving him 0 chance at cracking the NHL or AHL next year. Maybe AHL in 2 years. Im excited for his progress but slow it down man lol

Slow it down your own self...I never said he would make the NHL next season...!

As soon as he is up to EP's weight he will be ready...!

Just watch.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Interesting, you'd think every player would have this discussion at the end of the year. So maybe not huge news. Hopefully at least 1 more NCAA season imo

I agree, he has the speed and the skillset for the pro game but he needs to build strength first.

• Cheers 1

I wanna see this kid do the Gaudette route and win a Hobey Baker next year. It will do wonders for his confidence and he could use a liftle more time to grow into his frame. He is going to be a great player for our future and we need to handle his development properly. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Based on the majority of prospects don’t make it. 

Based on undersized defensive style players have a harder time. 

Based on the large majority of 3rd rounders don’t make it.  

He has a chance and I’m rooting for him, but I refuse to look at prospects through the same homer glasses so many here choose to look through.  

I agree with the fact that only approximately 10 percent of 3rd rounders make to the NHL (at any capacity). 

22 points in 23 games doesn't really scream defensive player. The kid got skills, it's not like he plays 3rd line shut down role. There are enough players in the NHL that have smaller size but insane work rate. 

I don't think that hoping a player, the team you cheer for drafted, makes the NHL is "looking thought Homer glasses. 

He is having a great year! Let the fans enjoy it. No one is calling him the next Gretzky. 

Jake guentzel,Brett Pesce, Brayden point, Colton Parayko, Jimmy Vesey were all 3rd round picks. All I'm saying is don't write the kid off. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Getting him on a cycle would speed things up. Anyone got a guy?

Maybe give Nate Schmidt a call? ;) 

Honestly, I have no idea what Schmidt was taking, or even if he was taking anything, but whenever I look at his picture, I’m thinking to myself, I’ll have some of whatever this guy’s having. :lol:

9FA42C2E-A907-45E7-9440-406B599F0864.jpeg.501390d1075c369e6585596f2c5e50ee.jpeg

140E6A9D-3E81-4107-AF95-7BB7409F5182.jpeg.23391e60c600a092d6f13925f75145fb.jpeg

E630D962-7B29-470C-8AA8-EDDD44240AB7.jpeg.e57bee3d38098020d6a79965f82389ee.jpeg

DB0D2B00-97DD-4DC0-AD3E-8AD2E787782A.jpeg.d4a4903c8dc08272ec3565a714206491.jpeg

08927FE2-1058-4B30-892B-741364BC7495.jpeg.b47ec1fbf1f18e254b6e1bfebc268bf0.jpeg

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It might be only 30ish games he'll get in Utica.

Tough sledding for ice time there for rooks, esp undersized ones it seems.

Congratulations on 8000 posts!

Will be interesting to see if any of the kids show true development by the end of the year. As it is now I think the organization is failing in the development department. 

5 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Will be interesting to see if any of the kids show true development by the end of the year. As it is now I think the organization is failing in the development department. 

What the heck!

Thanks!! didn't even notice that

Yeah I'd like the kids to go to Utica as an automatic thing, but these are pro's. Men who are earning a second /third shot at the bigs so I can see that it's no gimme being assigned there.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Why do you think they are failing in the development department?   

On 1/22/2019 at 4:10 AM, RetroCanuck said:

haha its called balanced scoring. Or would you rather be like Edmonton lol

Petey is elite on his own and makes players around him better so why wouldn't you stack up a second line as well.

Virtanen brings elite skating and an ability for puck retrieval. Once he rounds out certain aspects of his game he could be an elite power forward beside Petey. A Dahlen-Petey-Virtanen line would bring skill, compete, solid skating and overall balance to the line.

I agree with balanced scoring but come on, EP and Boeser can both benefit from playing with each other. EP finds Boeser in the slot for a snipe as we saw in Calgary. They are going to score a lot of goals that way. 

I think if Virtanen develops as expected, then he should play with Horvat. They have the attributes to become one of the best net crashing scoring line in the league. Virt drives the net with power and speed, Horvat is ox around the net, you aren't moving him once he has the position. Dahlen might compliment them very well if he does develop, given how strong he is in close the net. 

2019 draft 1st round pick-EP-Boeser

Dahlen-Horvat-Virtanen

x-Gaudette-x

x-Madden-x

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, khay said:

I agree with balanced scoring but come on, EP and Boeser can both benefit from playing with each other. EP finds Boeser in the slot for a snipe as we saw in Calgary. They are going to score a lot of goals that way. 

I think if Virtanen develops as expected, then he should play with Horvat. They have the attributes to become one of the best net crashing scoring line in the league. Virt drives the net with power and speed, Horvat is ox around the net, you aren't moving him once he has the position. Dahlen might compliment them very well if he does develop, given how strong he is in close the net. 

2019 draft 1st round pick-EP-Boeser

Dahlen-Horvat-Virtanen

x-Gaudette-x

x-Madden-x

I like, but believe Madden will play top six winger for us.  He’s super skilled, and incredibly smart.  That fourth line center spot will be an older guy, who is strictly a checker/PK/face-off guy, like Beagle is now.  

Gadjo and Palmu's cases are kind of microcosms for prospect development this year.  Neither has seen regular playing time, and when they have, it has mostly been fourth line minutes (especially Jonah).  Palmu's off  getting the ice time he needs in Finland, while Gadjo is still languishing in the press box, instead of playing in Junior or the E.

There was an analysis done of prospect development in the AHL this year on the Athletic a couple of weeks ago, that showed the Canucks were slightly lower than average in giving their prospects playing time.  

I think with how well all of guys did in lesser leagues last year, we were expecting more of them in the AHL.  However, it looks like next year will be the real litmus test.  If Lind, Dahlen, and Jasek don't put up significant better numbers AND get significantly better looks on the top lines, then they're tickets might be close to up.  I would say that is especially true of Dahlen who, out of all the prospects, has gotten the best looks this year.  He's had a ton of PP time (where he's gotten the vast majority of his points) and regular ice time on the second line.

If there's hope, it would be to look at McEwan.  His point production was similar to Jasek's and Dahlen's this year (36 points, 60+ games).  His development has been fantastic this year, at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks trade Virt away to make room for him.

32 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Gadjo and Palmu's cases are kind of microcosms for prospect development this year.  Neither has seen regular playing time, and when they have, it has mostly been fourth line minutes (especially Jonah).  Palmu's off  getting the ice time he needs in Finland, while Gadjo is still languishing in the press box, instead of playing in Junior or the E.

There was an analysis done of prospect development in the AHL this year on the Athletic a couple of weeks ago, that showed the Canucks were slightly lower than average in giving their prospects playing time.  

I think with how well all of guys did in lesser leagues last year, we were expecting more of them in the AHL.  However, it looks like next year will be the real litmus test.  If Lind, Dahlen, and Jasek don't put up significant better numbers AND get significantly better looks on the top lines, then they're tickets might be close to up.  I would say that is especially true of Dahlen who, out of all the prospects, has gotten the best looks this year.  He's had a ton of PP time (where he's gotten the vast majority of his points) and regular ice time on the second line.

If there's hope, it would be to look at McEwan.  His point production was similar to Jasek's and Dahlen's this year (36 points, 60+ games).  His development has been fantastic this year, at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks trade Virt away to make room for him.

why? virtanen is the same age and is actually contributing at both ends of the ice in the nhl.