The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

57 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Serious question Alf: how many times have you actually watched Madden in a full game?

I honestly think you have not watched any but I may be wrong and feel free to correct me.

You are comparing Bo and Gaudette in your post??!!  That is friggin horrible at this point in time. Maybe Gaudette will continue to get better but right now he can continue to carry Bo's jockstrap around the locker room....because he has not shown very much to date.  I hope that changes.

We might get lucky and get Jack Hughes.  Then Bo really should be moved for a young elite D man.  I see Hockey Gaud looking pretty Good.  Madden looked great at the WJHC, don’t you Think?  

• Wat 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We might get lucky and get Jack Hughes.  Then Bo really should be moved for a young elite D man.  I see Hockey Gaud looking pretty Good.  Madden looked great at the WJHC, don’t you Think?  

Bo won't go anywhere, if we are lucky enough to get Hughes, he can be moved to the wing, where, given his size, he's likely to play anyways in the NHL. As for Madden, same thing. We need elite, fast, wingers, and you can never have enough centers. Projecting Guadette, Madden, or even Hughes to be better than Bo at this stage is a bit silly. Bo is one of the best young 2c's in the league and has just gotten better and better every year

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

Bo won't go anywhere, if we are lucky enough to get Hughes, he can be moved to the wing, where, given his size, he's likely to play anyways in the NHL. As for Madden, same thing. We need elite, fast, wingers, and you can never have enough centers. Projecting Guadette, Madden, or even Hughes to be better than Bo at this stage is a bit silly. Bo is one of the best young 2c's in the league and has just gotten better and better every year

Bois great.  Love Bo.  I like your idea of playing those other guys on wing.  We have Quinn, Rathbone, and OJ coming on D.  I really hope we can get EK here.  That’s one heck of a good top four, where all guys can add offence.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bois great.  Love Bo.  I like your idea of playing those other guys on wing.  We have Quinn, Rathbone, and OJ coming on D.  I really hope we can get EK here.  That’s one heck of a good top four, where all guys can add offence.

And bring back Tryamkin

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Its lovely to think this guy can be a top 6 C in the NHL. But take a breath, this is his first year of college. Other players have done very well in College and fizzled out in the NHL or become AHL or Euro hockey players. 

He can train hard and put on some weight and gain strength while in College. If he becomes an NHL regular period that is a success. Bottom 6 guy with some PK abilities who can pot the odd SHG sounds like a good player to me. 

Let's hope we hit some home runs in non 1st round picks, even our 1st rounders may or may not live up to the hype to where they were drafted....like all 31 NHL teams, no team is perfect with 1st rounders....see Deadmonton

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Its lovely to think this guy can be a top 6 C in the NHL. But take a breath, this is his first year of college. Other players have done very well in College and fizzled out in the NHL or become AHL or Euro hockey players. 

He can train hard and put on some weight and gain strength while in College. If he becomes an NHL regular period that is a success. Bottom 6 guy with some PK abilities who can pot the odd SHG sounds like a good player to me. 

Let's hope we hit some home runs in non 1st round picks, even our 1st rounders may or may not live up to the hype to where they were drafted....like all 31 NHL teams, no team is perfect with 1st rounders....see Deadmonton

Yet consider the pieces teams will sacrifice to land an extra 1st rounder(since he's touted mid-1st range). The NYI gave up Hamonic, for the same draft. Their Wahlstrom/Dobson combo could easily be surpassed by Hughes, Woo & Madden.

It's really something to think our excellent scouting(not trades) may have actually landed us three 1st's, last June. All that griping we hear today(last few wks, slumping team) could be a distant memory, if we have another draft (or two) like 2017 & 2018.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I'd love it if he took the jump. Recent reports have him talking to his advisors after the season ends to see if he wants to turn pro. I'd also love Rathbone to consider the AHL route. All of the 'get your degree to fall back on' is nonsense. These guys are trying to go pro as soon as they can.

Madden is a 2nd generation player with exceptional speed and skill who has wow'd us all in his D+1 season. Rathbone is another exceptional skating D-man who has the physical ability to step into pro hockey next season... plus he has a special needs brother who the money could help.

Guys like these aren't waiting until their 4th year of NCAA hockey to cash in, nor should they. They should be looking to do it immediately. The AHL schedule is 3 games a week and there's lots of time for the gym and developing ones game. It's the next progression as far as leagues go.

I understand the value of a degree, but would you rather pursue your hockey dream and go back to school in your late 20's or 30's, OR hold out to your senior year and risk a setback like an injury.

These young guys all need to play pro hockey as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

I'd love it if he took the jump. Recent reports have him talking to his advisors after the season ends to see if he wants to turn pro. I'd also love Rathbone to consider the AHL route. All of the 'get your degree to fall back on' is nonsense. These guys are trying to go pro as soon as they can.

Madden is a 2nd generation player with exceptional speed and skill who has wow'd us all in his D+1 season. Rathbone is another exceptional skating D-man who has the physical ability to step into pro hockey next season... plus he has a special needs brother who the money could help.

Guys like these aren't waiting until their 4th year of NCAA hockey to cash in, nor should they. They should be looking to do it immediately. The AHL schedule is 3 games a week and there's lots of time for the gym and developing ones game. It's the next progression as far as leagues go.

I understand the value of a degree, but would you rather pursue your hockey dream and go back to school in your late 20's or 30's, OR hold out to your senior year and risk a setback like an injury.

These young guys all need to play pro hockey as soon as possible.

Rathbone is at Harvard university. I’d be curious in how many Harvard students leave to go pro.

You bit my curiousity so I looked it up lol

interesting list

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/alumni.php?tmi=6047

shows all Harvard alumni. So many no names lol. One recent example I found was Ryan Donato 2015 2nd rounder for Boston (now traded to the wild) left after his 3rd year to go pro

havent looked through most of it but doesn’t seem often. 

Also interesting Alex biega is a Harvard alumni, who stayed 4 years there

NHL Player Earnings Examples

Some star players will sign right after the draft and enter the NHL, while most will continue to play major junior or collegiate hockey for another couple of years. We are going to breakdown three examples to see what a player will earn annually during a year of their entry level contract: Star 1st Round Pick, Mid-Round Prospect, and Lower Round Prospect. It is important to note that the draft position doesn’t necessarily dictate the salary level and that many drafted players or even signed players will never play an NHL game.

Star First-Round Pick

This is a franchise player that has the ability to turn a team around in year one. They are expected to make the NHL in their first training camp and has dominated the game at the junior level. They will not see any time in the AHL.

Breakdown of Annual Compensation for Star Entry Level Player

Although rare, these star first-round picks can make more than the league’s average salary during their entry-level years if they negotiate performance bonuses and hit them. This level of compensation in a player’s first few years rivals NBA salaries.

Mid-Round Prospect

This is a player who was drafted in the mid rounds and played an extra year of major junior to further develop. They have signed for the maximum entry-level salary but with no performance bonuses. Although they may see some time in the AHL, this example assumes that they will play the full year in the NHL.

Breakdown of Annual Compensation for Max Entry Level Contract with no Performance Bonuses

While much less than the performance bonus packed first-round star’s compensation, a player who is able to sign for the maximum and play the full year in the NHL is still making a salary just shy of $1 million. This is comparable to CEO compensation levels and definitely is life-changing money.

Lower-Round Prospect 

This is a role player who may take a few years to get to the league and will spend some significant time in the AHL. Although he excelled at the major junior level, there is still some uncertainty of his ability to play at the NHL level and therefore they don’t sign the maximum entry level salary. This scenario is very common and allows a team to get a better look at the development of a player before inking them to a larger contract.

Breakdown of Annual Compensation for Player on Entry Level Contract in AHL and NHL

While much different than the two examples above, and maybe not life-changing, $250,000 in annual compensation for someone in their early 20s coming straight from high school or college is a hefty chunk of change.

Getting drafted is a big step in making it to the next level, but there is still a lot of work to be done by these prospects. If they are able to continue their development, sign an ELC and find their spot in the league, these “kids” will be entering the top 1 percent of earners in their 20s.

Then which of these elc contracts would you offer Madden?

Anybody here watch madden play live? Like just not highlights? Stat wise I say he should turn pro and be in the AHL but he's pretty small and I don't want him hurt, anybody know if he is good enough for pro hockey or does he still need to work on the "details"?

14 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Somewhere in the middle of the first two. Around Gaudette money. $925k salary (with signing bonus) plus $850k performance bonuses.

Signing this still guarantees him life-long millionaire status.

Would be very tempting, he can buy any degree he wants later.

But, perspective is everything if he feels he's elevated himself past mid-round prospect value.

6 hours ago, BO_Scorvat said:

Anybody here watch madden play live? Like just not highlights? Stat wise I say he should turn pro and be in the AHL but he's pretty small and I don't want him hurt, anybody know if he is good enough for pro hockey or does he still need to work on the "details"?

Not me. 

But two of our strongest homer posters said he is better than Horvat and will make Bo expendable lmao.

But the actual knowledgeable posters don't succumb to that kind of stupid hyperbole. 

Hopefully Madden will continue to develop more like a 1st rounder than a 3rd rounder where he was picked. It is a crap shoot for a betting man.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BO_Scorvat said:

Madden is going to light up the NHL.  He's better than Bo, or so I heard.  :lol:

I watch a lot of the kid's games on line, and he's really improved this year.  It's actually quite amazing how good he is now, compared to where he was at the draft.  I don't think he's going to be an NHL center, but he's going to be a very good middle six winger.  He will be a top unit PK guy for sure.  He's super skilled, skates well, has high IQ, and is incredibly competitive.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TGokou said:

I'm not sure why you all want Madden to make the jump next year. It's still going to be a huge jump from NCAA to AHL and the guys probably still not even 165lb soaking wet. Let the guy develop in the NCAA and some build muscle and dominate, the way Gaudette did, next year. With all the bad press about kids not getting AHL playing time in Utica, what makes you think Madden can just step in and demand top line minutes? He will absolutely be much better playing one more year in NCAA. This is not a race to get him to the NHL. If he's good enough by next year, maybe he makes the jump to NHL and bypasses the AHL but for now, let the guy develop! 

At the rate Madden is progressing he’s ready for the AHL right now.  I’d like to see him with the Comets this spring, and next fall.  Then get him up here by TDL 2020.  He’s too good for college. 

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

At the rate Madden is progressing he’s ready for the AHL right now.  I’d like to see him with the Comets this spring, and next fall.  Then get him up here by TDL 2020.  He’s too good for college. 

So he is the runaway hobey baker winner? Even 3rd year vet Gaudette needed some AHL time to get his game in a groove before the NHL. He is more physically mature too age and size wise.

No need to rush Madden we got 2 boat anchor botttom 6 C making over 7m combined for a while yet

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

I'm not sure why you all want Madden to make the jump next year. It's still going to be a huge jump from NCAA to AHL and the guys probably still not even 165lb soaking wet. Let the guy develop in the NCAA and some build muscle and dominate, the way Gaudette did, next year. With all the bad press about kids not getting AHL playing time in Utica, what makes you think Madden can just step in and demand top line minutes? He will absolutely be much better playing one more year in NCAA. This is not a race to get him to the NHL. If he's good enough by next year, maybe he makes the jump to NHL and bypasses the AHL but for now, let the guy develop! 

18 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

So he is the runaway hobey baker winner? Even 3rd year vet Gaudette needed some AHL time to get his game in a groove before the NHL. He is more physically mature too age and size wise.

No need to rush Madden we got 2 boat anchor botttom 6 C making over 7m combined for a while yet

Thank you for the voice of reason ppl.

The last few pages of this thread is so classic CDC it's frightening. 

Here we have an undersized 1st year college kid taken in the 3rd round,  which has statistically about a 12% chance of making an NHL career,  being penciled into Utica's lineup immediately and into the Canucks roster within a year.   

He's a kid having a good season on a very highly ranked  (top 10 in the nation in every credible ncaa poll) team.  To think he could come into the AHL and be an effective player against seasoned pros with not only equal talent but more physically mature bodies is not giving the AHL any respect imo.  

Let the kid play and develop in college.  If he duplicates or surpasses his development next season, or better yet in year 3 at Northeastern,  then we can talk turning pro imo.

Until then, remember.....12% chance of making a career:

https://www.thoughtco.com/nhl-draft-picks-2779293

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Thank you for the voice of reason ppl.

The last few pages of this thread is so classic CDC it's frightening. 

Here we have an undersized 1st year college kid taken in the 3rd round,  which has statistically about a 12% chance of making an NHL career,  being penciled into Utica's lineup immediately and into the Canucks roster within a year.   

He's a kid having a good season on a very highly ranked  (top 10 in the nation in every credible ncaa poll) team.  To think he could come into the AHL and be an effective player against seasoned pros with not only equal talent but more physically mature bodies is not giving the AHL any respect imo.  

Let the kid play and develop in college.  If he duplicates or surpasses his development next season, or better yet in year 3 at Northeastern,  then we can talk turning pro imo.

Until then, remember.....12% chance of making a career:

https://www.thoughtco.com/nhl-draft-picks-2779293

Cole cassels bruh. Going to shut down mcdavid.