The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

19 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

A 150-pounder who just finished with 1 goal, 12/22 faceoffs, and +1 in tonight’s 2-1 win.

While playing as a #1 centreman and facing a team with multiple ~200 pound upperclassmen lining up down the middle.

But, small... snap... tiny... weak... 

#prospectinferiority

55 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

But, small... snap... tiny... weak... 

#prospectinferiority

Yeah, and last game he did have one guy basically pick him up, skate him over, and slam him into the boards. There will always be concerns with guys this light, especially when opposing players decide to play outside the rules.

But as far as the actual hockey goes, Madden has impressed me a lot this year by how well he does against bigger, stronger players, whether it’s faceoffs, puck battles, or getting to the net when there’s traffic. He also seems to have some of that “wiry” strength, and matches up better than expected with guys 40-50 pounds heavier, and seems to bounce right back up whenever he does get knocked down (or picked up and slammed).

I do expect him to add mass and strength. How much is anyone’s guess. I’d expect he’s already a bit bigger than the 150 he’s listed at and the lineup chart measurements are from the start of the year.

I don’t think he’ll ever not be a “small” player, but I think he’s one of those guys who can be effective, despite size mismatches.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, and last game he did have one guy basically pick him up, skate him over, and slam him into the boards. There will always be concerns with guys this light, especially when opposing players decide to play outside the rules.

But as far as the actual hockey goes, Madden has impressed me a lot this year by how well he does against bigger, stronger players, whether it’s faceoffs, puck battles, or getting to the net when there’s traffic. He also seems to have some of that “wiry” strength, and matches up better than expected with guys 40-50 pounds heavier, and seems to bounce right back up whenever he does get knocked down (or picked up and slammed).

I do expect him to add mass and strength. How much is anyone’s guess. I’d expect he’s already a bit bigger than the 150 he’s listed at and the lineup chart measurements are from the start of the year.

I don’t think he’ll ever not be a “small” player, but I think he’s one of those guys who can be effective, despite size mismatches.

Tyler's dad was 5'11  190. So hopefully Tyler can get up to that weight eventually.

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think he plays wing in the NHL

He will be a top 9 winger and PK

A longer look at Madden's goal on Friday:

From his head coach: https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/6397560-northeasterns-cayden-primeau-shuts-down-maines-upset-attempt

“He’s a playmaker,” Madigan explained.

“He wants to make plays, he wants the puck in key situations and he doesn’t shy away from wanting the puck. There’s times, maybe not so much in our team, where there’s times in games when you’re in a big-time game where certain guys just don’t want to make a mistake and they’re more tentative and the puck is off their stick a little bit faster. He’s not that type, he’s wired differently. He’s the type of guy who wants the puck.”

5 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Adam Gaudette

42GP  12g 18a 30p his year following being drafted 

Tyler Madden 

33GP. 11g 16a 27p 

higher ppg

edit: Madden also made team USA WJC and was a solid contributor something Gaudette never accomplished 

Thanks for this.

Very interesting stats. Will be exciting to see what he does next season.

8 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Adam Gaudette

42GP  12g 18a 30p his year following being drafted 

Tyler Madden 

33GP. 11g 16a 27p 

higher ppg

edit: Madden also made team USA WJC and was a solid contributor something Gaudette never accomplished 

If I remember right Gaudette had better wingers as well

I really think the only reason this kid wasn't a late 1st or early 2nd rounder was the fact that he weighed 150 lbs at the draft. Don't think he's ever going to be massive, but if he can get to 175 lbs range before turning pro, I think it will make his transition much smoother.

I believe he has what it takes to be a solid middle 6 for us.

22 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I don’t know. Last I heard, Madden said he was going to make his decision after Northeastern is done playing this season/postseason. I expect he’ll go back for his sophomore year. He still needs to add strength. He can make gains this summer, but I think he needs a full year of training. And it’s easier to get in gym time during the season with a college schedule. It’s just exciting that Madden is already at a point where going pro is a legitimate option to consider. But probably not the best option.

He'll get the same training opportunities in Utica.  They play a very college-like schedule.