The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

9 minutes ago, Puckster said:

2018 "Midget Draft"... am I missing something ???

or are the Nucks focused on filling the needs of Utica??

It's not the weight issue I am concerned about.... ( I played college BBall at 6'4" 150lbs) am now 270 lb couch potatoe. My ideal fighting weight was 205.

but I will admitt I had wayy more energy at 150-160.

but, hockey is a fast physical game....( Hitting & Fighting inclusive) imagine By-Fug-I'm-Ugly skating down the boards and hitting one of these draftees??? Squash!! Game over 'til concussion recovery! hard to keep head up & avoid that shoulder coming in.... What , the big guys gotta skate on their knees to avoid the head shot???

One would expect the player Safety dept. to establish a minimum height size at some point!!! ( or is a maximum height, coming down the pike??)

What on this earth am I missing here??

How old they are.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Hoping he's not Cole Cassels 2.0.

A couple of years at Northeastern will do him wonders. I expect we will sign him after his second year at Northeastern.

Happy to see the Canucks sticking there mantra of "speed and skill" -- can't get enough of that.

The reality is that most mid to late round picks do not make the NHL...

Like how we were obsessed with size and grit 2-4 years ago and now we are going all small, skill and speed. Not sure which is the better route, probably a mixture, but its probably not good that we are such soft team already and adding more and more soft players. 

• Upvote 1

On May 30, 2018 there was a report in the Vancourier about the Canucks scouting meeting. Based on the information in bold the scouts had a vividly and very controversial discussion about a centremen. My guess is, that they had discussed Tyler Madden.

“You want to be strong-minded, but not pigheaded” — Behind the scenes of a Canucks scouting meeting

Canucks release video of a closed-door scouting meeting heading into 2018 NHL Draft.

There’s another intriguing interaction towards the end of the video, as they discuss a centre that they originally didn’t like.

“First round pick, you know, I was kind of sour,” says Dan Palango about the player, “ but then I ground out what these guys told me, then we watch him with a different eye and the fact that his character’s so high, he won me over.”

“By the end of the week, probably he’s going to be our biggest jumper,” says Brackett. “This guy was not on our 45, was on the player type, and I think even in the two-way player type he was down quite a bit, and he’s pushing into the top-six among centres right now.”

It’s a telling moment, confirmed a moment later by Weisbrod. The Canucks will come out with a list of 45 players for the draft, supplemented by positional lists. That seems like a small list — 217 players will get selected at the draft — but this is evidently not unusual across the NHL.

A portion of these scouting meetings across the NHL is dedicated to rejecting players rather than selecting them. If they’ve determined that one flaw (or a group of flaws) will prevent a prospect from making the NHL or being an impact player, it’s understandable why they would just leave him off their list entirely. Perhaps that prospect would be someone you would consider in the fourth round, but if he’s a likely second-round pick, why bother putting him on your list?

Still, 45 players is a short list and it makes you wonder where late-round picks like Palmu and Matt Brassard were on that list last year. Benning identified Palmu as a player that analytics alerted them to and he’s the type of swing-for-the-fences pick that I would like to see more of in later rounds.

So, who is the centre that went from outside their list of 45 players (and low on their list of two-way players) to near the top of their list of centres? There’s simply not enough information in the video to even make an educated guess, but if the Canucks grab a centre with a third or fourth-round pick, the speculation will surely begin that he was the one.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Like how we were obsessed with size and grit 2-4 years ago and now we are going all small, skill and speed. Not sure which is the better route, probably a mixture, but its probably not good that we are such soft team already and adding more and more soft players. 

Lind and Gadjovich have size and grit. Lockwood doesn't have size but he plays gritty, same with Madden. 

One thing to keep in mind about the fact that the NHL is getting smaller is that smaller guys that are fast gritty are going to come in handy when you need to chase down skilled guys and can no longer hook/hold, etc. 

10 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

On May 30, 2018 there was a report in the Vancourier about the Canucks scouting meeting. Based on the information in bold the scouts had a vividly and very controversial discussion about a centremen. My guess is, that they had discussed Tyler Madden.

“You want to be strong-minded, but not pigheaded” — Behind the scenes of a Canucks scouting meeting

Canucks release video of a closed-door scouting meeting heading into 2018 NHL Draft.

There’s another intriguing interaction towards the end of the video, as they discuss a centre that they originally didn’t like.

“First round pick, you know, I was kind of sour,” says Dan Palango about the player, “ but then I ground out what these guys told me, then we watch him with a different eye and the fact that his character’s so high, he won me over.”

“By the end of the week, probably he’s going to be our biggest jumper,” says Brackett. “This guy was not on our 45, was on the player type, and I think even in the two-way player type he was down quite a bit, and he’s pushing into the top-six among centres right now.”

It’s a telling moment, confirmed a moment later by Weisbrod. The Canucks will come out with a list of 45 players for the draft, supplemented by positional lists. That seems like a small list — 217 players will get selected at the draft — but this is evidently not unusual across the NHL.

A portion of these scouting meetings across the NHL is dedicated to rejecting players rather than selecting them. If they’ve determined that one flaw (or a group of flaws) will prevent a prospect from making the NHL or being an impact player, it’s understandable why they would just leave him off their list entirely. Perhaps that prospect would be someone you would consider in the fourth round, but if he’s a likely second-round pick, why bother putting him on your list?

Still, 45 players is a short list and it makes you wonder where late-round picks like Palmu and Matt Brassard were on that list last year. Benning identified Palmu as a player that analytics alerted them to and he’s the type of swing-for-the-fences pick that I would like to see more of in later rounds.

So, who is the centre that went from outside their list of 45 players (and low on their list of two-way players) to near the top of their list of centres? There’s simply not enough information in the video to even make an educated guess, but if the Canucks grab a centre with a third or fourth-round pick, the speculation will surely begin that he was the one.

Why does this article state it would be their third or fourth-round pick?

The 45 player list would encompass all 217 players available..

Edited by 'NucK™

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Lind and Gadjovich have size and grit. Lockwood doesn't have size but he plays gritty, same with Madden. 

One thing to keep in mind about the fact that the NHL is getting smaller is that smaller guys that are fast gritty are going to come in handy when you need to chase down skilled guys and can no longer hook/hold, etc. 

You are describing the Lightning. And they are already reviewing their roster to upgrade in size and grit after failing to win the cup this year. 

Just now, Drakrami said:

You are describing the Lightning. And they are already reviewing their roster to upgrade in size and grit after failing to win the cup this year. 

Yeah, wouldn't it be awful if the Canucks turned out to be like the Lightning? 

It is a lot easier to add size at the bottom 6/3rd pairing level. The Lightning need to make minor moves to tinker with their lineup. That shouldn't be an indictment of their strategy. 

• Like 1

Just now, drummerboy said:

He will when everyone else around him is 190-210 muscle

Weird because his dad, who plays a similar style, was one of the best defensive forwards of his generation and a Stanley Cup winner.  He can utilize the NCAA schedule to bulk up in the gym anyway.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Weird because his dad, who plays a similar style, was one of the best defensive forwards of his generation and a Stanley Cup winner.  He can utilize the NCAA schedule to bulk up in the gym anyway.

His dad played at 190-200 tho.   

Adding  40-50 pounds probably won’t happen.   

4 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

His dad played at 190-200 tho.   

Adding  40-50 pounds probably won’t happen.   

But for him to suddenly play small when he's faced with bigger competition isn't likely to happen either.  He'll probably play around 180.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1