The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

On 11/16/2018 at 2:22 PM, DontMessMe said:

I have no hope for Lind. like zero. 

im not sure if this is sarcasm lol, 1 year of pro and you got no faith in em?

p.s - how many prospects are in the AHL, that are first round picks that are not doing well?, if your trolling let me know, cause i cant tell honestly.

Edited by TNucks1

10 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

im not sure if this is sarcasm lol, 1 year of pro and you got no faith in em?

p.s - how many prospects are in the AHL, that are first round picks that are not doing well?, if your trolling let me know, cause i cant tell honestly.

No doubt, he hasn't even had a full year of pro either.  I still think he hits 15-20g in Utica this year.

How has Madden been?  I see on the last page that some of you think he'll play for USA at the WJC, lets hope.

Edited by Tre Mac

Put whatever stock you like in this but Corey Pronman has upgraded his rating of Madden from a Depth prospect to a legit NHL prospect (at or close to 1st round status)

Tyler Madden, C, Vancouver (Northeastern-Hockey East)

2018 projection: Depth prospect

Current projection: Legit NHL prospect

Draft slot: No. 68

I remember watching Madden early in his draft season and thinking he was a clear top 2-3 round prospect. I saw tremendous skill and vision and the production was there. Then he had an iffy second half, his scoring tailed off, he wasn’t playing a ton in his USHL games and concerns about his skating led me to drop him down my board. At Northeastern this season he is showing more of what he displayed early last season. Madden has been an all-situations guys for his team and its top line center, including being on PP1 for a good college team. I have some concerns about his pace/speed for a guy his size, but he’s looked a tad quicker than I thought. Northeastern’s coach Jim Madigan pointed out how lean he is right now and that his speed will improve as he bulks up.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bert Diesel said:

Put whatever stock you like in this but Corey Pronman has upgraded his rating of Madden from a Depth prospect to a legit NHL prospect (at or close to 1st round status)

I remember watching Madden early in his draft season and thinking he was a clear top 2-3 round prospect. I saw tremendous skill and vision and the production was there. Then he had an iffy second half, his scoring tailed off, he wasn’t playing a ton in his USHL games and concerns about his skating led me to drop him down my board. At Northeastern this season he is showing more of what he displayed early last season. Madden has been an all-situations guys for his team and its top line center, including being on PP1 for a good college team. I have some concerns about his pace/speed for a guy his size, but he’s looked a tad quicker than I thought. Northeastern’s coach Jim Madigan pointed out how lean he is right now and that his speed will improve as he bulks up.

Awesome! He's had quite the impressive start, stepped right into the Hockey Gaud's spot in his team and our prospect pool. Early times, but couldn't have done much more right to begin his year.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bert Diesel said:

Pronman also named Quinn Hughes as the best defenceman not currently playing in the NHL (it was in his Live Q&A this week on The Athletic).

EDIT: Here’s the quote:

I don't know if [Hughes is] ever going to be an elite, elite point producer to warrant [winning the Norris Trophy] but I think he's going to be a star. Best D outside the NHL now for me.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

don't know if [Hughes is] ever going to be an elite, elite point producer to warrant [winning the Norris Trophy] but I think he's going to be a star. Best D outside the NHL now for me.

By that, does he mean guys like Karlsson, Ghost, Burns, etc? I wonder what tier of point producer he sees Quinn Hughes at, and which NHL’ers career and role he sees at a good comparison for QH.

19 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

By that, does he mean guys like Karlsson, Ghost, Burns, etc? I wonder what tier of point producer he sees Quinn Hughes at, and which NHL’ers career and role he sees at a good comparison for QH.

I think he’s offering about as much praise as he can. He can’t really go out and say “this kid is a guaranteed Norris winner and generational star” and he’d be foolish if he was willing to say that much on any prospect.

But he’s not not saying it either.

He just doesn’t know, and that’s fair, because nobody really knows. What he is saying though is that Hughes is the best D outside the NHL, he’s gonna be a star, and that, if you want to read between the lines at little, he will probably produce elite totals (just maybe not “elite, elite” or elite²).

I think I can live with that. B)

EDIT: In addition to Madden and Hughes, Pronman also has praise for Rathbone (who he hopes will play in the WJC) and Lockwood (who he said looks good whenever he sees him).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Bert Diesel said:

Goes to show why the Scouting crew is not putting so much stock into size at the draft. Size is nice, but skill is much harder to teach. All you really need is a good few years to put on the needed weight to play pro. Madden is definitely flying up my list of interesting prospects.

• Upvote 2

For those interested, I think the Northeastern vs Merrimack game today will be a free stream. 

Looks like the Harvard and Michigan games are paid/subscription.

Here’s what should be the link for Madden’s game:

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/northeastern/portal.htm?eventId=453981&streamType=video

Starts at 4pm Vancouver time (7pm EST).

• Thanks 3