The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

Honestly, if he even becomes 75% of what his dad was, this will be a great pick. John Madden is one of the most underrated defensive centers of all time. The guy was an absolute workhorse and was huge for the teams he played on. It's really encouraging to hear that he has some of the same attributes that his dad did, to me.

its an interesting pick for sure, nice thing is there aren't any quick expectations for this guy, let him percolate in the NCAA for 2 or 3 years and this could work out nicely. 

2 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Madden seems like a solid 3rd round pick.  Has quite a bit of development to do.  One thing the Canucks are showing is that they're not afraid about the NCAA developmental route.  It might help that they have guys like Boeser and Gaudette.

And Demko and Hughes:)

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its an interesting pick for sure, nice thing is there aren't any quick expectations for this guy, let him percolate in the NCAA for 2 or 3 years and this could work out nicely. 

well no actually

or he will no longer be canuck property

and become a free agent

(although that issue will likely be addressed and changed in the next collective agreement)

Edited by coastal.view
  • Wat 3

7 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Kid sure looks like his dad.   His dad was shorter and played about about 190lbs and was a dominant physical force of a player (he was hard to move off the puck is what I am being told).   His dad also won a couple of cups so will be able to give his son tips for the parades his son will have with the Canuck organization in a few years.

Edited by Rob_Zepp
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

No one is whining about his weight.  We're just pointing out he may fly out the window of a moving car if he's not properly secured.:ph34r:  Chill.

I think it's more the fact every time someone is drafted that is smaller in stature you here too often the " old school " talk, just as in Burke on the Hughes pick " small body gentlemen, small body " ( Torey Krug is shorter and more slight than Hughes and he will still add more weight to his frame ). Its really a measuring point like it was 10, 15 plus years ago.

There are a number of NHL quality players much much shorter then Madden, take into account age, and I guess the point is that size is not an issue, give the kids a couple years minimum to add more beef but again, smaller player slower players in the NHL.