Sign in to follow this  
Tomato Pajamas

Tyler Madden | C

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm actually interested to see what Gaudette could do on Horvat's wing. Gaudette seems pretty much NHL ready to me, and his play in Utica indicates as much. As long as we have both Sutter and Beagle to fill in the 3 and 4 C slots, I think it's worth a look. 

Yeah, might take some time for him and Virtanen to get up to 2nd line level consistently but I happen to think Virtanen, Horvat, Gaudette could be a HELL of a 2nd line for us down the line. 

50 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, might take some time for him and Virtanen to get up to 2nd line level consistently but I happen to think Virtanen, Horvat, Gaudette could be a HELL of a 2nd line for us down the line. 

I think Gaudette is going to make a great 3C for us so would hate to see him switch to the wing. I can see Virtanen on Petey's wing in the future once he develops more of his overall game.

Dahlen-Petey-Virtanen

Goldy/Baer/2019pick-Horvat-Boeser

MacEwen-Gaudette-Lind

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

Looks like the NCAA counted Madden’s OT goal in his stats. Weird, since they did not count Hughes’ 3 OT points. 

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I think Gaudette is going to make a great 3C for us so would hate to see him switch to the wing. I can see Virtanen on Petey's wing in the future once he develops more of his overall game.

Dahlen-Petey-Virtanen

MacEwen-Gaudette-Lind

Come on....

While we all hope Virtanen keeps getting better it is clear that Boeser will stay with Petey. 

Haha....good god.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That's what we have been missing...over the top celebrations...and for good reason...!

Madden is looking like his dad 2.0 ...at least, in a couple years this team is going to brimming over with talent and tenacity...!

Madden needs to get into the NCAA record books to match his dad. :lol: His dad is tied for the most ever shorthanded goals in an NCAA season........Tyler needs to work on his PK skills or his dad will retain bragging results:lol:

Shorthanded Goals
Player, Team
No.
Season
Scott Burfoot, Mercyhurst
John Madden, Michigan

31 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Come on....

While we all hope Virtanen keeps getting better it is clear that Boeser will stay with Petey. 

Haha....good god.

haha its called balanced scoring. Or would you rather be like Edmonton lol

Petey is elite on his own and makes players around him better so why wouldn't you stack up a second line as well.

Virtanen brings elite skating and an ability for puck retrieval. Once he rounds out certain aspects of his game he could be an elite power forward beside Petey. A Dahlen-Petey-Virtanen line would bring skill, compete, solid skating and overall balance to the line.

5 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Petey is elite on his own and makes players around him better so why wouldn't you stack up a second line as well.

Virtanen brings elite skating and an ability for puck retrieval. Once he rounds out certain aspects of his game he could be an elite power forward beside Petey. A Dahlen-Petey-Virtanen line would bring skill, compete, solid skating and overall balance to the line.

And I don't think Boeser is the best possible match for Petey.  He doesn't really create space for Petey and uses space Petey creates.  Maybe Dahlen will make more space and it won't matter.  But Virtanen draws coverage with his play and pushes guys off with his speed.  Plus he has killer zone entries.  Petey in space behind someone like Virtanen would be amazing.  Or Petey and Dahlen on Horvats wings if we get another killer center to play with Virtanen and Boeser like maybe Jack Hughes.  As Horvat would create space for Petey.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Dahlen-Petey-Virtanen

MacEwen-Gaudette-Lind

There's no way Petey and Boeser are separated, unless something unexpected happens. They just play well together and compliment each other extremely well. 

What we need is a top 6 LW that can cause some havoc and create space for Petey and Boes, as well as one more top 6 winger to play with Horvat and create a bit more space for him. Ideally that would be Virtanen, but at this point his offensive game is still too one dimensional to do it at a consistent level.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

There's no way Petey and Boeser are separated, unless something unexpected happens. They just play well together and compliment each other extremely well. 

What we need is a top 6 LW that can cause some havoc and create space for Petey and Boes, as well as one more top 6 winger to play with Horvat and create a bit more space for him. Ideally that would be Virtanen, but at this point his offensive game is still too one dimensional to do it at a consistent level.

A Ferland, Simmonds type player would be perfect. Virtanen just seems to play better when he’s not in the top 6 and doesn’t have to focus on offence. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

You don't break up great chemistry for hopes and wishes. Not a chance. Virt needs to bring more consistency before he ever would take over RW on EP's line. Pretty clear how Green has been playing them.

Keep hoping and wishing though lol. 

On 1/21/2019 at 1:53 PM, stawns said:

I said, during the WJHC, that Wahlstrom and madden looked like they had switched draft positions.

I’m obviously not a scout but Wahlstrom hasn’t looked that good, whenever I’ve seen him on tv. 

3 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I’m obviously not a scout but Wahlstrom hasn’t looked that good, whenever I’ve seen him on tv. 

Great to hear..screw the Isles!

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2019 at 10:46 AM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That's what we have been missing...over the top celebrations...and for good reason...!

Madden is looking like his dad 2.0 ...at least, in a couple years this team is going to brimming over with talent and tenacity...!

If he turns out as good as his dad we are laughing. His dad was a great hockey player for Jersey. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/21/2019 at 6:57 PM, Rick Blight said:

Madden needs to get into the NCAA record books to match his dad. :lol: His dad is tied for the most ever shorthanded goals in an NCAA season........Tyler needs to work on his PK skills or his dad will retain bragging results:lol:

Shorthanded Goals
Player, Team
No.
Season
Scott Burfoot, Mercyhurst
John Madden, Michigan

His dad was a pain in the butt to play against and had a work ethic that won't quit....I think Tyler has that as well but Tyler also has better wheels than his dad and better hands.

...I would settle for him being a bit better than his dad on O and a bit less proficient on D.

Cheers...

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

From Dobber comes a very nice review of our most recent potential centre star.

Tyler Madden (C) – 68th overall in 2018 by the Vancouver Canucks PNHLe: 58

I believe 50+ projects as an NHL player?

17 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I believe 50+ projects as an NHL player?

The eye test says Madden is more of a lock than Wahlstrom who went 11th overall last year...I just watched the USA -Finland gold medal game again and in one sequence Madden holds the puck in the O zone, makes a great feed and goes to the net so hard he basically knocks his defender into Wahlstrom and clears the both of them out of in front of the net to go after the rebound.

It's the size of the fight in the dog that matter's and Tyler has it in spades over guys like Wahlstrom.

We have some great depth at centre now with Gaudette and MacEwen as well...someone is going to have to play the wing!