The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Did the feed you are all watching show Stan Bowman's face after Vancouver selected Madden?   He looked about as pissed off as any GM has looked all weekend.   Lip reading made it clear he was clearly not happy with Vancouver taking that kid.   I wonder if there was a potential trade and it didn't happen or he simply thought he had his player in the bag until Benning took him?

that could be. 

I wonder how much the family connection to Vancouver played a part in this? nice to have that anyway. It'll be fun to watch him develop for sure. 

31 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

He's going the NCAA route, lots of gym time to gain weight when you go through college. Don't worry about his size yet. It's a very long term pick. I like the skill set he has though.

He'll have to spend some time in the library as well being in college (or wherever kids study now in the internet age) so not sure exactly how much time he'll have in the gym to really bulk up, but I get your meaning.

But my preference is definitely to take a chance and go for skill even when the size isn't quite there vs just drafting big. I'd rather have that potential ceiling (especially when considering the pedigree to go with it) and hope the kid makes an impact than to try and get excited about some big galoot.

We need speed and skill.  All 3 picks fill needs and bring speed and skill.  You can trade for truculance.  We have a prospect pool with speed, skill, leadership, character.  These are characteristics you can't teach at the nhl level.  Size can be developed, defensive positioning can be taught.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Honestly, if he even becomes 75% of what his dad was, this will be a great pick. John Madden is one of the most underrated defensive centers of all time. The guy was an absolute workhorse and was huge for the teams he played on. It's really encouraging to hear that he has some of the same attributes that his dad did, to me.

Him and Jere Lehtonen on the Stars were just amazing, undervalued defensive wingers, best two of their era IMO.

I like what I read about this kid, nice to see him go to Gaudette's alma mater.

Love the little guy who can fly and is fiesty.

Skating, skating, skating.  Man I feel for Gaunce, in a couple years this won't be the team for him.

2018 "Midget Draft"... am I missing something ???

or are the Nucks focused on filling the needs of Utica??

It's not the weight issue I am concerned about.... ( I played college BBall at 6'4" 150lbs) am now 270 lb couch potatoe. My ideal fighting weight was 205.

but I will admitt I had wayy more energy at 150-160.

but, hockey is a fast physical game....( Hitting & Fighting inclusive) imagine By-Fug-I'm-Ugly skating down the boards and hitting one of these draftees??? Squash!! Game over 'til concussion recovery! hard to keep head up & avoid that shoulder coming in.... What , the big guys gotta skate on their knees to avoid the head shot???

One would expect the player Safety dept. to establish a minimum height size at some point!!! ( or is a maximum height, coming down the pike??)

What on this earth am I missing here??

• Haha 2

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Him and Jere Lehtonen on the Stars were just amazing, undervalued defensive wingers, best two of their era IMO.

I like what I read about this kid, nice to see him go to Gaudette's alma mater.

Love the little guy who can fly and is fiesty.

Skating, skating, skating.  Man I feel for Gaunce, in a couple years this won't be the team for him.

Role players on excellent teams. 

6 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

We need speed and skill.  All 3 picks fill needs and bring speed and skill.  You can trade for truculance.  We have a prospect pool with speed, skill, leadership, character.  These are characteristics you can't teach at the nhl level.  Size can be developed, defensive positioning can be taught.

I think Woo is truculent over skill IMHO.    He has wheels, that is for certain, but he never met a hit he didn't like.   Insane hits/game type of player.   He had an NHL ready physique when he was 17 and is only going to get stronger.   This may be one of those picks that Vancouver really cherishes in a few seasons when they become playoff competitive as players who can wear down the opposition with hits, clean but relentless hits, can go a long way.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Puckster said:

2018 "Midget Draft"... am I missing something ???

or are the Nucks focused on filling the needs of Utica??

It's not the weight issue I am concerned about.... ( I played college BBall at 6'4" 150lbs) am now 270 lb couch potatoe. My ideal fighting weight was 205.

but I will admitt I had wayy more energy at 150-160.

but, hockey is a fast physical game....( Hitting & Fighting inclusive) imagine By-Fug-I'm-Ugly skating down the boards and hitting one of these draftees??? Squash!! Game over 'til concussion recovery! hard to keep head up & avoid that shoulder coming in.... What , the big guys gotta skate on their knees to avoid the head shot???

One would expect the player Safety dept. to establish a minimum height size at some point!!! ( or is a maximum height, coming down the pike??)

What on this earth am I missing here??

JB better get balancing out the ledger or it will tip over.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

He'll have to spend some time in the library as well being in college (or wherever kids study now in the internet age) so not sure exactly how much time he'll have in the gym to really bulk up, but I get your meaning.

But my preference is definitely to take a chance and go for skill even when the size isn't quite there vs just drafting big. I'd rather have that potential ceiling (especially when considering the pedigree to go with it) and hope the kid makes an impact than to try and get excited about some big galoot.

Haha, not sure how many NCAA athletes go to classes.  More underwater basket weaving classes for basketball and football players than hockey I suspect.

Their schedules are completely built around athletics.  Actually is a great place for these kids that need more physical development.  

Hoping he's not Cole Cassels 2.0.

A couple of years at Northeastern will do him wonders. I expect we will sign him after his second year at Northeastern.

Happy to see the Canucks sticking there mantra of "speed and skill" -- can't get enough of that.