The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

On 5/19/2019 at 11:58 PM, Outsiders said:

Has he committed to go back to school yet or is he still deciding to turn pro?

On 5/20/2019 at 12:30 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Madden is going back to Northeastern for his sophomore year. IIRC there was an official announcement a little while back. I think Benning also confirmed it in an interview.

Commitment in the NCAA context means signing a national letter of intent. This is meaningful only when a player is deciding which university to attend (i.e. normally while still in high school). Here is a quote from the NCAA recruiting website:

"Signing a National Letter of Intent ends the recruiting process because participating schools are prohibited from recruiting student-athletes who have already signed letters with other participating schools." 

Madden committed to Northeastern long ago and that prevents him from playing for other NCAA teams without going through a cumbersome transfer process. There is no "re-commitment" process that occurs for players returning for later years.

However, as far as the Canucks are concerned, Madden could decide to turn pro at any time. As Sid says, he has indicated that he is going back to Northeastern next year, so there is no real doubt about what he will be doing next year. But there is no legal barrier that stops him from changing his mind and signing with the Canucks at any time.

This past year there was some talk about Hughes possibly leaving Michigan and signing with the Canucks before the end of the Michigan season, but ultimately he decided to hold off until the Michigan season was over.

Personally, I don't think there is much doubt that going back to the NCAA next is the best thing for Madden to do in any case. If things go well, maybe at the end of next season Madden signs and gets in a few games as Gaudette, Hughes, and Boeser have all done in recent years. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I could see Madden staying for the full 4 years at NE and then deciding where is best for his career.

Pointless comment, same thing could be said about every single NCAA player. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I’m betting money that he stays in NCAA for two more years. 

March 2021, he’s coming over :) 

Lockwood’s coming next spring 

23 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I’m betting money that he stays in NCAA for two more years. 

March 2021, he’s coming over :) 

Lockwood’s coming next spring 

Well, he's a senior this coming year... so this is his last year, so you've just lost your own bet hahahahaha ;)

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Well, he's a senior this coming year... so this is his last year, so you've just lost your own bet hahahahaha ;)

Really? He is 19 years old. He will be graduating from university when he is just barely 20? That is one smart kid. If his hockey IQ is anywhere close to his book learning IQ, he is Petey level smart. I am really looking forward to seeing him play in a Canucks uniform.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Obviously he's talking about Lockwood. That the only player mentioned in the post he quoted.

No, I was talking about Madden and then also mentioned Lockwood. 

On 5/24/2019 at 10:23 PM, Ronaldoescobar said:

I could see Madden staying for the full 4 years at NE and then deciding where is best for his career.

Why???

I will not go back and recheck on Canucks history, but has any of the players drafted by the Canucks from the NCAA ever like ever jumped ship?

So why so negative?

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Why???

I will not go back and recheck on Canucks history, but has any of the players drafted by the Canucks from the NCAA ever like ever jumped ship?

So why so negative?

In half a century I think I can remember a total of one: Umberger. But I believe he was already 19 and finished first year when he was drafted, so he didn't need to wait that long. As for why that poster is so negative, have you ever seen a post from him that wasn't?

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

In half a century I think I can remember a total of one: Umberger. But I believe he was already 19 and finished first year when he was drafted, so he didn't need to wait that long. As for why that poster is so negative, have you ever seen a post from him that wasn't?

Umberger jumped ship was because of contract reasons, not so much the loophole. The canucks (I think it was Burkie) nickel and dimed Umbergers contract and they were in a statlemate hence him ending up east

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Umberger jumped ship was because of contract reasons, not so much the loophole. The canucks (I think it was Burkie) nickel and dimed Umbergers contract and they were in a statlemate hence him ending up east

Yup it was Burke

Edited by Honeydew

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

The "loophole" was what allowed him to jump ship when Burkie got too obnoxious in his contract negotiations.