The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

15 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Before we all go overboard with this good prospect , see where Madden ranks in the NCAA

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/overall.php

So he is tied for 5th in the Nation in scoring and just one point out of 3rd....sounds pretty darn good to me...so what is your point?

Also he is way ahead of Turcotte and Caufield...!

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

So he is tied for 5th in the Nation in scoring and just one point out of 3rd....sounds pretty darn good to me...so what is your point?

In addition, he is younger than any player above him. Also, as a point of interest, he got off to a slow start with 0 points (last place in the nation:bigblush:) in his first 3 games of the season and has only been held pointless one other time since then. He is also ahead of this year's 5th overall pick so there is that as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Great idea, except that our prospect pipeline is so sparse when it comes to centres, it seems a bit risky to make him a winger.

"So sparse."  Yet our 1C just turned 21 and is top-10 in league scoring, our 2C is 24 and 60th in scoring, and Gaudette just turned 23.  Focht was just drafted and is over a PPG pace as well.

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Also he is way ahead of Turcotte and Caufield...!

I understand we focus our attention on  Vcr prospects but there's a number of similar players all pretty close and most of them are either F or So age. I don't honestly believe they will all go on to stellar careers in the NHL, lets hope Madden is the one that does. Gaudette was a Hobey Baker winner and he''s OK but not setting the league on fire. 

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I understand we focus our attention on  Vcr prospects but there's a number of similar players all pretty close and most of them are either F or So age. I don't honestly believe they will all go on to stellar careers in the NHL, lets hope Madden is the one that does. Gaudette was a Hobey Baker winner and he''s OK but not setting the league on fire. 

...yet...gaud is much improved in 2months the rest of the year could see some smoke...if not flames...

1 hour ago, Gaudette Celly said:

"So sparse."  Yet our 1C just turned 21 and is top-10 in league scoring, our 2C is 24 and 60th in scoring, and Gaudette just turned 23.  Focht was just drafted and is over a PPG pace as well.

petey horvat gaudette madden focht as future centers looks insane.  podzolkin hoglander virtanen boeser miller lockwood macewen aint to bad on wing either  just need a few more d prospects 

On 11/25/2019 at 11:50 AM, Gaudette Celly said:

I'd refer you to the Utica Comets thread to get an idea of how much more we're in need of young centres in the system than young wingers or D.  It's great to have the ones we have on the roster now, but any team that's going to be strong in the long run has to have a balance of good prospects at every position.  Right now, we're definitely lacking in centre prospects relative to the other positions.  Hopefully Benning focuses on adding a few centres in the higher rounds in the upcoming draft.

11 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I'd refer you to the Utica Comets thread to get an idea of how much more we're in need of young centres in the system than young wingers or D.  It's great to have the ones we have on the roster now, but any team that's going to be strong in the long run has to have a balance of good prospects at every position.  Right now, we're definitely lacking in centre prospects relative to the other positions.  Hopefully Benning focuses on adding a few centres in the higher rounds in the upcoming draft.

I would very strongly disagree with your bolded.

We have many young high quality centres and centre prospects (Horvat, Petey, Gaudette, Madden, Focht). We have lots of young D but the quality is not anywhere close to what our centre quality is. We only have Hughes that is young and high quality.  OJ could still get there and we have Rathbone who is looking ok along with Woo).

The centre position on the big team is a strong point for us now and moving forward. Quality top 4 young D just isn't as strong.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I would very strongly disagree with your bolded.

We have many young high quality centres and centre prospects. We have lots of young D but the quality is not anywhere close to what our centre quality is.

He has a point...the 4 centres currently for the Comets are Roussell, Justin Taylor, Carter Camper and Wacey Hamilton and none of those guys are prospects. So if you strongly disagree then who are the Canucks top centre prospects not named Madden and not currently playing in the NHL?

11 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

He has a point...the 4 centres currently for the Comets are Roussell, Justin Taylor, Carter Camper and Wacey Hamilton and none of those guys are prospects. So if you strongly disagree then who are the Canucks top centre prospects not named Madden and not currently playing in the NHL?

I strongly disagree that the Canucks weakest position is centre. As I said, we have high end young centres that will fill the positions for years.

Frankly, I don't care much about Utica's centre issue because it won't affect the Canucks much.

In all likelihood, Horvat, Petey, and Gaudette will fill those spots for years. What young top 4 young D do we have other than Hughes that will do the same?

That is my only point. We are weaker for D prospects.

Edit: I have confidence that JB will continue to draft very well and he will get what the team needs.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I strongly disagree that the Canucks weakest position is centre. As I said, we have high end young centres that will fill the positions for years.

Frankly, I don't care much about Utica's centre issue because it won't affect the Canucks much.

In all likelihood, Horvat, Petey, and Gaudette will fill those spots for years. What young top 4 young D do we have other than Hughes that will do the same?

That is my only point. We are weaker for D prospects.

Yeah OK...the bolded part you were "very strongly" disagreeing with was about centre prospects and neither Horvat, EP or Gaudette are prospects, they are Canucks. I would still say there are better quality and more D prospects than there are centre prospects. But maybe you view the word prospect differently.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

The centres we have on the current roster are all under the age of 25, plus we have Madden and Focht in the pipeline.  As for actual NHL calibre players, centre ice may be our strongest position.  Our best player plays centre and our captain is the 2C.  And Hockey Gaud looks to be our future 3C.  We are set up the middle for the next decade.  I'd be more concerned about our defensive depth, as one of our top prospects on D seems to be injured on a monthly basis while nobody else in Utica has really impressed or been able to take a full time spot on the big club.  That leaves only Woo and Rathbone as legit NHL prospects.  Edler and Benn aren't getting any younger and Tanev is a UFA at season's end.  I think Benning will be more focused on collecting D in the next few drafts than centres.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The centres we have on the current roster are all under the age of 25, plus we have Madden and Focht in the pipeline.  As for actual NHL calibre players, centre ice may be our strongest position.  Our best player plays centre and our captain is the 2C.  And Hockey Gaud looks to be our future 3C.  We are set up the middle for the next decade.  I'd be more concerned about our defensive depth, as one of our top prospects on D seems to be injured on a monthly basis while nobody else in Utica has really impressed or been able to take a full time spot on the big club.  That leaves only Woo and Rathbone as legit NHL prospects.  Edler and Benn aren't getting any younger and Tanev is a UFA at season's end.  I think Benning will be more focused on collecting D in the next few drafts than centres.

So your answer to my question is Focht is the only centre prospect not named Madden and not currently an NHL player.

22 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

So your answer to my question is Focht is the only centre prospect not named Madden and not currently an NHL player.

Yes pretty much.  And the centres we currently have on our roster will take us through the next decade so Benning is in no panic to draft centres at this point.

• Upvote 3

Canucks have had a big issue for the last 10 years when it comes to drafting quality centers.  Of course we struck gold with Elias and Bo, but we don't have any 25 year old centers that were too good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL (kind of like Goldy, Sven, Boucher).  

So that's been the frustration with the Utica fans and also those of us that figure that to develop your wingers like Gadjovich and Lind, you need to play them with capable centers that can get them the puck. 

When our D prospects are mentioned, most people seem to only be naming Woo and Rathbone, but Tryamkin still has to be added to the mix here and may still be the strongest D prospect of them all.

Also, when it comes to the centres, I agree that the young centres on our roster are very strong.  But no team that wants to be a long-term contender can rest on its laurels and just be happy with its current roster players.  Benning has to be keeping the prospect cupboard full for long-term success, and at this point in time, centre is the position where our future prospect roster (and no Kanukfanatic, not our current team roster) is the leanest.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

On 11/25/2019 at 1:40 PM, Fred65 said:

Gaudette may have read this...he is smoking big time and may just catch fire from here out...!