The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

20 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Because I was never talking about the players already on the roster.  I think they're great too! :towel: I was talking about our depth of centres not already on the roster.  Simple as that.

Isn't that an arbitrary separation? What does it matter if they're prospects or young players? The whole point of collecting prospects is to fill out a future lineup, but if our center situation is set for the next decade or so, collecting center prospects doesn't need to be a top priority , so it really doesn't matter if our center pool is weak right now. I'm far more concerned with our defensive pool right now.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

22 points in 16 games.  Tied for top 3 in NCAA scoring.  Madden is in the running for the Hobey Baker at age 20.   This guy could be our best prospect right now. Complete stud who will be better than his father.  Could be a top 6 winger with his speed.  Could be a much better player than Gaudette, especially with his skating.  What a steal in the 3rd round...

Gaudette did pretty damn good in the NCAA himself.  

Why exactly do you think he could be better than Gaudette? I don't know that much about Madden other than what is reported here.

Edit: Madden is still only around 155 lbs too. That could be tough on him in the NHL although we are seeing some small guys do very will in the NHL these days.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Well his skating is elite so that will give him an advantage.  He has the bloodlines as well as his father is a Stanley Cup champion with New Jersey and played over 12 years in the league.  I see Madden as a more offensive player than Gaudette, but it’s still a bit early.  Hockey Gaud looks to have a bright NHL future.  And Madden looks to be one of our beast prospects right now.  Hopefully they will both be in our lineup full time and contributing within the next 2 years.

Thanks.

What about his skating is elite. We know Hughes is so shifty and can skate around guys easily even though he isn't crazy fast. We know Virtanen is very fast in straight line skating.

What does Madden do so well?  I need to try to watch one of his games...

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Thanks.

What about his skating is elite. We know Hughes is so shifty and can skate around guys easily even though he isn't crazy fast. We know Virtanen is very fast in straight line skating.

What does Madden do so well?  I need to try to watch one of his games...

He has speed to burn.  Not shifty like Hughes but more like Virtanen.  He just flies out there.  His father was a great skater as well, so his father probably taught him how to skate at a young age...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

22 points in 16 games.  Tied for top 3 in NCAA scoring.  Madden is in the running for the Hobey Baker at age 20.   This guy could be our best prospect right now. Complete stud who will be better than his father.  Could be a top 6 winger with his speed.  Could be a much better player than Gaudette, especially with his skating.  What a steal in the 3rd round...

Question is who's the bigger steal? Madden in the 3rd or Gaudette in the 5th?

12 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Time will tell. We have a good look at Gaudette now in the NHL and have a pretty good idea of what he brings to the table. With Madden we can still let our imagination run wild with his possible development potential.

Will he break onto the team as a bonafide top 6 scorer and develop instant chemistry with our young core? Will he make the team as a shutdown centre with offensive upside (his original skill set which he was scouted/drafted for)? Or will he struggle adapting to the challenges of the pro game..? 

13 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

It has to be Gaudette at this point.  He could put up 35-40 points this year, and see steady improvement from there.  Madden is an excellent prospect at this point, and probably has better tools that Gaudette, but he is still just a prospect.

• Upvote 1