The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

They didn't die - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2181552/When-grenade-fishing-goes-terribly-terribly-wrong.html.

And I was referring to starting yet ANOTHER conversation on "What if our coveted NCAA prospect doesn't sign?". It was a thing for Gaudette, Boeser, Demko...people seemed genuinely concerned and worried about them walking for nothing. So bringing that up again is kind of like dropping a grenade in the thread.

He'll sign. Lockwood prob won't sign but hes (Lockwood) not gonna make the NHL so w/e 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nzan said:

Serious question - what do you base your assumptions on (both that Lockwood won't sign and that he won't make the NHL?)

I'm just adding my reply to your question. For the last 2 years, my take on Lockwood has been that he plays a style that his body isn't built to handle. I think he has more than enough core talent to make it to the NHL, but I don't think he has the endurance to make it based on that style of play.

Really hope I'm wrong, but he's had as many or more injuries than OJ and has missed a lot of prime development time.

Unless he can find a way to curb the serious injuries, he won't make it past the AHL.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, nzan said:

Serious question - what do you base your assumptions on (both that Lockwood won't sign and that he won't make the NHL?)

Don't they usually stay 3 years max and then sign. i.e. Gaud. If they play four years,  they can pick  their   destination. Why would he sign with us?  He's not gonna get a spot with us 100%. He may say hes loyal  to the canucks but lets be honest; thats all PR. 

You may call my assumption stupid, but he might not sign with us.  Hell, I don't even know if its worth offering him a contract  spot. I rather spend that contract spot on a college FA who might be better? 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Don't they usually stay 3 years max and then sign. i.e. Gaud. If they play four years,  they can pick  their   destination. Why would he sign with us?  He's not gonna get a spot with us 100%. He may say hes loyal  to the canucks but lets be honest; thats all PR. 

You may call my assumption stupid, but he might not sign with us.  Hell, I don't even know if its worth offering him a contract  spot. I rather spend that contract spot on a college FA who might be better? 

Thanks, don't mind if I do. It is.

Edit (since people aren't following the conversation) @Dazzle 

I actually don’t see why he’d (he reffering to LOCKWOOD, not MADDEN, yes, I know it's a Madden thread) sign here or even if we would want to sign him. 

You don’t just give out the precious 50 contracts like candy.  

If we had signed fringe guys like him, we wouldn’t have had any spots left to sign guys like Rafferty and Teves .

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I actually don’t see why he’d sign here or even if we would want to sign him. 

If we had signed fringe guys like him, we wouldn’t have had any spots left to sign guys like Rafferty and Teves .

Uhhhhh ya we would want to sign him. Are you serious?

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

That's somewhat normal?

Most A1 grade prospects, NCAA or otherwise, are NHL ready in 2 years.  It is the ones, like Madden at draft age, who in his case needed to improve physically? Get stronger! He had NHL genes from his dad. Its apparent he has the dexterity, agility, balance. Or in other cases, skill wise, if they have the size & athleticism.That you don't know when they will come out.

Madden is on the cusp of top 10 in the nation scoring. And is drawing rave reviews for his hockey sense & compete levels. Signing after his sophomore season might not be out of the question. Even if he graduates only to the AHL. He is burning time off his ELC, closer to a second contract which would be guaranteed money near a million dollars. Two years earlier than if stays through graduation.  

• Cheers 4

On 12/4/2019 at 10:46 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

I actually don’t see why he’d sign here or even if we would want to sign him. 

The way Madden is playing shows that he is likely as good as Gaudette....who is not a fringe player...however Rafferty and Teves are fringe players....so your logic is bass akwards...