The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

28 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

But for him to suddenly play small when he's faced with bigger competition isn't likely to happen either.  He'll probably play around 180.

Maybe he will.  

Someone with a 150lbs frame at 17-18 is probably going to stay a pretty slender person.  

Even 30 pounds is a butt load to ask for.  

People were crying about Petterson needing to gain 10-15    

This is kid needs 30-40 

2 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Maybe he will.  

Someone with a 150lbs frame at 17-18 is probably going to stay a pretty slender person.  

This is kid needs 30-40 

The people whining about Pettersson needing to gain more weight have mostly shut up.  Give Madden a couple years in the NCAA to bulk up and I think you'll find his weight is acceptable.  If he had the skillset he had but was bigger, he wouldn't be a 3rd round pick.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Benning said he would view this draft as a success if we got 3 NHL players. Hughes and Woo will be. He must have thought Madden's speed, work ethic and defensive ability will translate into the NHL.  Would be good to add another right shot center

Pettersson

Horvat 

Gaudette 

Madden 

MacEwan 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The people whining about Pettersson needing to gain more weight have mostly shut up.  Give Madden a couple years in the NCAA to bulk up and I think you'll find his weight is acceptable.  If he had the skillset he had but was bigger, he wouldn't be a 3rd round pick.

Fair enough.  

I really don’t know much about him other that what I’ve started reading today.   

150lbs is just so damn small.   

I just don’t really like small players. 

And yayyaya the league is getting smaller and faster.  Sure.   I just don’t really care.  

I prefer old school, big nasty hockey.    

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Maybe he will.  

This is kid needs 30-40 

Not necessarily.  I was the same in my teens but in my 20's I was able to develop much more athleticism and muscular endurance and weight increased.  But to your point maybe he will stay naturally slender, maybe not.  Really hard to say until he starts getting into his 20's, even then I guess we have to see how it all plays out on the ice.

If his dad was 190 at 5'11 there's a good chance Tyler will be at least 180-185 which is good playing weight with a guy of his speed and talent. If he has anywhere near the defensive talent of his dad combined with his 'better' offensive skills then we will have hit a homerun.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Fair enough.  

And yayyaya the league is getting smaller and faster.  Sure.   I just don’t really care.  

You should just stick to watching your Rock em Sock em VHS tapes then.

• Haha 3
  • Wat 1

49 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Fair enough.  

Different preferences to style of play. Old school, big nasty hockey? You've just described the Boston Bruins or the Flyers. 

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Yeah, wouldn't it be awful if the Canucks turned out to be like the Lightning? 

It is a lot easier to add size at the bottom 6/3rd pairing level. The Lightning need to make minor moves to tinker with their lineup. That shouldn't be an indictment of their strategy. 

Size in the bottom 6 or 3rd pairing don't make much of an impact in a game. Size and toughness in the top 6 and top 4 D is what impacts a game. That is why skilled, fast, big/tough guys go so high in drafts...such as Tkachuk. Because you can't just easily pick them up in trades imo.

Edit: I am fine with this pick.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Size in the bottom 6 or 3rd pairing don't make much of an impact in a game. Size and toughness in the top 6 and top 4 D is what impacts a game. That is why skilled, fast, big/tough guys go so high in drafts...such as Tkachuk. Because you can't just easily pick them up in trades imo.

Ferland just got traded out of Calgary....huge thank you to Carolina for that....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Ferkland just got traded out of Calgary....huge thank you to Carolina for that....

Fixed.

Also, Interesting pick. I like the willingness to take some chances on guys that most will dismiss. Could pay off with this kid. Loved watching his dad play, a big part of Jersey's cup wins.