The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

Do you think we'll transition him into a winger? He's projecting to be a top-9 player at worst and might be more valuable to us filling out the shoulders given that we have excellence in our 1/2 with Petey and Bo and that we've developed Gaudette as a centre himself. (Miller of course can also play C.)

It feels like his talents might be wasted if he's forced into the centre role when he has a realistic chance of having weird chemistry with some of our stars--a la Burrows with the twins. (Like, it wouldn't surprise me to see a coach down the years decide that Miller-Petey-Madden; Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin; Ferland-Gaudette-Boeser or something similar is the best way to spread the forward depth and align chemistry, even if Madden isn't a superstar or doesn't turn out to be a 1st-liner of himself.)

I know it's easier to turn a C into a W than vice versa, but I'm sure this is something the team is going to look into when he makes the turn pro--having him practice on the wing now and again, test him there in game situations. It's not necessarily in the team's interests to move him away from playing centre right away as regards his development, but I'm curious what other people think Van should/will do here.

And I'm not sure all of CDC realizes how very good Madden is even yet. He's better than Gaudette imo and, while it's a dice roll whether he hits this potential, he could be a genuine 1st line talent if the d20 lands 17-20.

Edited by 112
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, 112 said:

And I'm not sure all of CDC realizes how very good Madden is even yet. He's better than Gaudette imo and, while it's a dice roll whether he hits this potential, he could be a genuine 1st line talent if the d20 lands 17-20.

I followed you, but you lost me there.  What does that mean ?

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I followed you, but you lost me there.  What does that mean ?

dungeons and dragons reference. sorry.

you roll a 20-sided die to determine how well your character does in some circumstance; higher roles are conducive to better or successful outcomes.

Edited by 112
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Madden’s skating is what distinguishes him most from Gaud. I won’t soon forget an encounter in the last prospects camp where Hughes and Madden we’re engaged in the corner fighting for a puck, Madden came out with the puck and his acceleration in separating from a pursuing Hughes, no slouch in skating obviously, left me gobsmacked.

Great hands and quick release on the shot too. Really, the size question is the biggest hurdle...but I don’t think this has mattered mattered less in the current pro game than it does right now. 

Having a stream of promising kids in the pipeline is one of my favourite things as a fan of this team.

I don't think Hughes has over the top high end speed, but he's well above average, and his mobility and ability to turn on a dime and make plays under pressure and in traffic are what elevate him to being elite prospect. He has a very quick first few steps that allow him to create immediate separation.

I think he will get faster on straight out speed as he gains more physical maturity. I see him becoming a point per game player or better in a year or two.

• Upvote 1

The success of GMJB’s draft picks is quite remarkable. The studs we have seen excel in the NCAA alone (Boeser, Gaudette, Hughes, Madden, Demko) leave you shaking your head and wondering how it took so long to have decent talent evaluation and drafting. There were many times over recent years where the canucks had zero prospects of interest in the fold. Truly remarkable what JB and staff are doing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, reyezone said:

The success of GMJB’s draft picks is quite remarkable. The studs we have seen excel in the NCAA alone (Boeser, Gaudette, Hughes, Madden, Demko) leave you shaking your head and wondering how it took so long to have decent talent evaluation and drafting. There were many times over recent years where the canucks had zero prospects of interest in the fold. Truly remarkable what JB and staff are doing. 

Yes, before JB took over, I could never name more than 2 or 3 promising Canucks prospects at a time. Now it's easy for anybody to name 10 or more at any given time, and you don't need to reach too far to name 15 or 20. Trying to decide which are the top 10 creates endless discussion.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1