The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

23 hours ago, Fred65 said:

How about Steve Kariya = Madden. Played in Hockey East, same size, same stats, lets hope it's not the same ending. 

www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=27639

As others have pointed out the league is different from when Steve was playing.

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

As others have pointed out the league is different from when Steve was playing.

Oh for sure. I often think of the courage Steve had just to try his hand in the NHL, good for him. My daughter was taller ( by a margin ) than Steve,  my son played on the same team and he and Paul used to wrok out some times together. Good family, I'm not sure what happened to him. I know he played in EU for a while, that bantam team had 12 players move on to junior which is pretty cool

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Oh for sure. I often think of the courage Steve had just to try his hand in the NHL, good for him. My daughter was taller ( by a margin ) than Steve,  my son played on the same team and he and Paul used to wrok out some times together. Good family, I'm not sure what happened to him. I know he played in EU for a while, that bantam team had 12 players move on to junior which is pretty cool

I think I read somewhere that he was an amateur scout for the NYI in 2018-19.

Did a bit of research just to be sure; yes he is now a pro scout with the Islanders.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
added info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think I read somewhere that he was an amateur scout for the NYI in 2018-19.

Did a bit of research just to be sure; yes he is now a pro scout with the Islanders.

Thks, pretty well the entire Kariya family moved out of Nth Van. They all attended U. Maine including the sister ( field hockey ) Glad to hear he's doing well

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

My brother played with him im sure. Winterhawks or something?

When I was living in nanaimo my Dad wanted to watch the Clippers and Steve play to see how he was doing.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

My brother played with him im sure. Winterhawks or something?

When I was living in nanaimo my Dad wanted to watch the Clippers and Steve play to see how he was doing.

Yeah he moved over from BWC to joining North Van minor who were quite the powerhouse at the time ( would have been better but some had taken early junior opportunities)  

I'm interested to see if Madden will sign after this season and how strong the push to sign him will be. Another year in college definitely wouldn't hurt, but I think he could have an alright year in Utica next season adjusting to the pro game. The sooner that adjustment is made, the sooner the Canucks get an ELC on the roster. Plus, it would help address Utica's lack of centers. 

On 1/16/2020 at 6:19 PM, Ossi Vaananen said:

Vote for Madden for Hobey Baker!

https://www.hobeybaker.com/vote

This stage of voting only reduces the 75 candidates to 10 nominees later selected by a committee. The page is chaotic, can find Madden towards the bottom. 

Currently sitting in third in fan voting with 4.3%.

Interesting to note that the top voted player right now is an unsigned prospect named Kawaguchi. Abbotsford born player who played for the Chilliwack Chiefs of the BCHL. Cousin of former NHLer Devin Setoguchi

Kind of undersized but the Canucks might wanna take a flyer on him. Goes to a good program at North Dakota.

Edited by DeNiro

44 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'm interested to see if Madden will sign after this season and how strong the push to sign him will be. Another year in college definitely wouldn't hurt, but I think he could have an alright year in Utica next season adjusting to the pro game. The sooner that adjustment is made, the sooner the Canucks get an ELC on the roster. Plus, it would help address Utica's lack of centers. 

I'm thinking the Canucks reputation for signing college guys and allowing them to burn a year will work in our favour. It's probably been a factor in signing some of the FAs.

Rathbone and Madden could both sign, though I'm unsure when roster restrictions lift. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'm thinking the Canucks reputation for signing college guys and allowing them to burn a year will work in our favour. It's probably been a factor in signing some of the FAs.

Rathbone and Madden could both sign, though I'm unsure when roster restrictions lift. 

Boner and Mads are the two college kids that sign with the Canucks this spring and play a couple games.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

The 23-man roster limit is in place from the conclusion of the preseason until 12:01 am on the day of the NHL's Trade Deadline. After that teams are allowed to have an unlimited active roster at the NHL level, provided players are signed to one of their 50 contract slots.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

The 23-man roster limit is in place from the conclusion of the preseason until 12:01 am on the day of the NHL's Trade Deadline. After that teams are allowed to have an unlimited active roster at the NHL level, provided players are signed to one of their 50 contract slots.

thx

• Cheers 2

On 1/20/2020 at 9:03 PM, Rick Blight said:

So basically if we get through the next 22 days we'll have kept our entire roster all season without having to trade away a piece or two like so many people thought. We'll be super deep if Leivo, and Ferland, are both added to an already full line-up.

• Upvote 1