The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

What about Madden?  This isn't the Motte thread right?  Just sayin' this thread has been derailed for a while now.  

I'm excited about this guy... I think he's trending towards making the big club and being a permanent fixture on the 3rd or 4th line (higher ceiling then that?).  Just like most here feel, his slight build is a concern... Just waiting for him to fill out a bit.  Does anyone have info on whether he's gaining weight or growing?

I don't think he has the same build or skill as Petey... So I don't think he'll be able to come into the NHL with a slight frame like Petey did.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

#2 and #4 B).

Oh my, that is a beautiful sight!  

Thanks for posting that :) 

So if we're all being reasonable, Madden looks to be 1.5 years away from making the NHL.  I'm glad that the game has gotten away from the bigger/slower guys and guys like Madden can come in and play their game.  

15 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Oh my, that is a beautiful sight!  

Thanks for posting that :) 

So if we're all being reasonable, Madden looks to be 1.5 years away from making the NHL.  I'm glad that the game has gotten away from the bigger/slower guys and guys like Madden can come in and play their game.  

It is going to be perfect timing if Madden and Podkolzin are ready the year after next.  That would allow us to layer in 2 ELC's to help offset EP and Hughes new deals, Especially with Sutter and Pearson becoming UFA's.

• Upvote 2

What a nice little post-Super Bowl bonus on a Monday afternoon....a chance to see two of our better prospects go at it in the same game. I’ve seen Madden play more than Rathbone, so I’m really looking forward to see how Jack looks to my eye since I last watched him in person in prospects camp. What I saw then was a big, showy skill set in terms of a huge shot and powerful skating...but also a lack of refinement in certain areas...like puck skills. Look forward to seeing how he has progressed. What can be said about Tyler Madden? Looking to be a 3rd round gift from the hockey gods.

I’ll get my gym session in today and come home to watch this live and perhaps post some of my impressions.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just for those looking for viewing info: the Beanpot is on TSN2 (Shaw 212) today at 2pm, Northeastern (Tyler Madden, Aidan McDonough) vs Harvard (Jack Rathbone).

EDIT: also on NHL Network, NESN, and TSN Go

Thanks for the details Sid. 

Any chance you are catching it? It would be nice if you and @Locke Lamora could post your thoughts and observations (independently, for scientific integrity). Most of us are stuck at work until 5pm :( 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Thanks for the details Sid. 

Any chance you are catching it? It would be nice if you and @Locke Lamora could post your thoughts and observations (independently, for scientific integrity). Most of us are stuck at work until 5pm :( 

I’m recording it. Will try to watch live, depending on how my afternoon goes, and if I can free up some time. Otherwise, I’ll be watching it later tonight.

Looks I’ll start watching this around 3pm. I blame the Super Bowl and the excess that accompany it for my late gym start. Which is actually not terrible because I can let the PVR record for an hour and then I should be able to skip most of the commercials before I catch up to the live broadcast. 

PVR might be right up there with the wheel in terms of mankind’s greatest inventions. Anyone happen to agree?

Beer is right up there too of course. :)

• Cheers 4

Oh man. Both of our guys can really skate.

Rathbone plays a ton...seems like he’s on the ice every second shift. Saw him cough up the puck at the far blue line, but he turned on the jets to break up an odd-man chance my Northeastern. No surprise that a couple of NHL prospects clearly stand out....but our boys skill sets really pop. Just want to see a Rathbone howitzer from the point now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Madden was out a bunch at the end with North Eastern defending a 1 goal lead. Made one really nice play infront of the net breaking up a pass then moving the puck out, leading to a chance the other way.

Then on another late shift he knocked the puck out of mid air just inside his own zone with Harvard pressuring, came into the Harvard zone under pressure (circled by 3 guys) and made a nice bank back pass off the boards to the guy coming in behind him. 

I only saw the third period of the game, but his smarts & skill we're evident. Good speed & a few nice passes too. 

• Cheers 1