The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

18 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Oh man. Both of our guys can really skate.

Rathbone plays a ton...seems like he’s on the ice every second shift. Saw him cough up the puck at the far blue line, but he turned on the jets to break up an odd-man chance my Northeastern. No surprise that a couple of NHL prospects clearly stand out....but our boys skill sets really pop. Just want to see a Rathbone howitzer from the point now.

Mcdonough is no slouch either...another Bailey/MacEwen type player....fast and big.

On 2/1/2020 at 6:58 PM, GoldenAlien said:

#2 and #4 B).

Not going to pretend that I’ve watched him play a single game this season.

But with the stats, the highlights and the name / blood.

hard not to imagine him being a sure fire top 9 nhl forward.. right? 

especially since we have the depth to let him take the time he needs to get here.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, StiffStick33 said:

Anyone else see that interview during the 1st intermission at the bruins game. Kids calm and well spoken. Can def tell he's got some great character.

I saw a bit of it without volume (watching in a pub).  I've since been looking on line for the interview, haven't been able to find it.  Anyone have a link?

On 2/5/2020 at 9:01 PM, GoldenAlien said:

What’s it like to grow up with an NHL dad? 4 Beanpot hockey stars share their stories.

Tyler and John Madden

When Tyler Madden moved to Chicago at the age of 10, he was starting to understand what exactly his father did for work. Not all of his classmates, he realized, got to skate around at the United Center with the players whose hockey cards they collected or whose jerseys they proudly wore.

John Madden won the Stanley Cup three times – twice with New Jersey Devils (2000, 2003) and with the Blackhawks in 2010. His NHL career spanned from 1997-2012 after he starred at Michigan, where he won a national championship and set an NCAA record for most career shorthanded goals (23).

“When I didn’t have school, or when I’d get out early, my dad would take me to the rink,” Tyler remembered. “Just growing up around the game made me love it even more, seeing what their daily routine is and stuff like that. The lifestyle was what made me love the game so much. It just pushed me to be better.” 

The younger Madden would critique his father’s performance after every game, staying up late and waiting for him at home, or calling him if he was on the road. When John Madden began coaching after his retirement in 2012, Tyler’s yearning to develop his hockey sense only intensified. Father and son would sit together behind the soft glow of a computer screen, watching game film. Tyler, just barely a teenager, would ask questions and point out plays that got the older Madden to think differently.

“They were real conversations,” John Madden said. “He really got the game and understood what was going on out there. It was definitely unique for me. That’s when the game became real fun.

“To actually share with your son, who’s aspiring to be an NHL player and loves the game just as much as you do,it was definitely something I wish I could go back to.” 

John Madden won the Selke trophy as the NHL’s best defensive forward in 2001, and finished second in voting three other seasons. Tyler has often been praised for his two-way play, and his hockey sense. 

“His defensive awareness is something that he passed on to me,” Tyler Madden said. “Obviously when I’d go watch the game, I’m going to watch my favorite player, which was my dad. I modeled my game after him.” 

Tyler is comfortable in recognizing his father’s accomplishments, but not burying himself beneath them. The Canucks’ 2018 third-round pick is ready to be the next man up.

“My dad was a great hockey player, but I like to be my own person,” he said. “It’s good to be attached to somebody like that, who was so good at the game and did so well throughout so many years. But it’s my turn to step in and take over the Madden name.” 

With the Canucks keeping tabs on Tyler, the Maddens will reevaluate his options together – as a family – at the end of every season. John Madden has the knowledge to lead his son swiftly through the decisions he’s making without a second thought. But he chooses not to, forgoing his role as NHL veteran and professional coach to focus on one more important – taking in every moment as a father.

“[Tyler] being drafted was something super special to me,” said the elder Madden, who was undrafted himself. “I was sitting beside him at the draft, just as nervous as he was to see where he would go. I felt like a little kid, like I was at the draft myself, even though it was him.

“It’s a special moment for any family. The kids have dreams, and you want them to fulfill those dreams.” 

If you shaved some Tyler Madden's offence and just brought his dad's 2-way game to the NHL, man oh man, we still got a hell of a player. John Madden was a hell of a player for the Devils back in the day. Was a HUGE part of those Stanley cup winning teams especially in the dot. Need a big faceoff, BOOM! he'd win it (see what I did there!?) Nice to know we are pretty much set down the middle for the next decade

• Cheers 3

11 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

If you shaved some Tyler Madden's offence and just brought his dad's 2-way game to the NHL, man oh man, we still got a hell of a player. John Madden was a hell of a player for the Devils back in the day. Was a HUGE part of those Stanley cup winning teams especially in the dot. Need a big faceoff, BOOM! he'd win it (see what I did there!?) Nice to know we are pretty much set down the middle for the next decade

Kid is going to be great when he fills out a little more.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

joining utica next year:

Madden

Hoglander

Woo

Utunen

Lockwood

You think utunen is coming over next season? I don't know about that tbh...

Also not quite guaranteed that Lockwood gets a contract. We shall see. 

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

You think utunen is coming over next season? I don't know about that tbh...

Also not quite guaranteed that Lockwood gets a contract. We shall see. 

Watching the few games Utenen's played, I think his game MIGHT translate better in the smaller ice with more experience, he can defintely play in the AHL though. Im on the fence on Lockwood getting a contract unless he's ok starting out in the A. Its definetly not going to be a Boeser Gaudette situation where he joins the big club near the end of the season.