The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

9 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Lol that doesn't make any sense, his CHL rights belong to the Sudbury Wolves. 

Yeah.  They said he played for the tri city Americans right as he was being drafted.  They were like "another WHL boy from tri city"  then I go online to see what hes all about and he was not from the dub at all Haha.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Well usually the size of their parents gives a good indication of what size he'll be when he's fully matured. I kind of doubt John Madden was 190 when he was drafted.

his dad wasn't even drafted.  

reporter said to John that his son already surpassed him, then he replied, "after he wins 3 cups, then we will talk" something like that. 

he has plenty of time to beef up.  Probably be a good 2 way player like his dad. 

Edited by Jaimito

Not worried about the size.  His dad, John Madden was a late bloomer too.  He was undrafted and took the college route back in the day which is what late bloomers did.  He peaked out at 5-11 190 and won a Selke in 2001.

Look at the kid, he's a baby face and is clearly late maturing.  When the testosterone kicks in, he'll pack on some muscle.

His profile says that he is fast fast fast and in your face and very hard to play against.  Definitely worth a shot at a long development curve.

I'm seeing a pattern with Benning's picks.  He picks closer to the way you would expect early but later in the draft will take risks.  Look, if a player has typical size and he falls to the later rounds, he probably has deficiencies.  If he's undersized or has gone through adversity or injury etc the reason for falling may not be his hockey skills, the kid may be worth the risk.  You may just end up with a firecracker.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I'd love to see Bowmans reaction... any one have video or link.... 

I searched on YouTube no luck.....

Still not finding the feed but found an article that may point to reason - it appears it was something Chicago had hoped would happen and they may have thought was in their lap (e.g. that Vancouver would take Dobson).

Was Chicago after Hughes?

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

his dad wasn't even drafted.  

reporter said to John that his son already surpassed him, then he replied, "after he wins 3 cups, then we will talk" something like that. 

he has plenty of time to beef up.  Probably be a good 2 way player like his dad. 

That's what I love about the Canucks new approach.

They know that every player can hit the gym and beef up if they're committed. Not every player can gain high end skating, elite skill, and work ethic. Some of them can, but if they don't have it by 18 the odds are much lower that they'll ever gain those attributes. 

So where some teams pass on these undersized guys, the Canucks are saying no we can be patient with these guys and get them on a good workout program. If the skill and the heart are there that's more important than someone's weight.

The old regimes likely would have taken the guy with size and strength and hoped to teach them how to skate and work hard. That's alot harder to do and less likely to have results than simply getting a player on a diet and workout plan who already has that skill and work ethic.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They know that every player can hit the gym and beef up if they're committed. Not every player can gain high end skating, elite skill, and work ethic.

Or perhaps most importantly, hockey sense/IQ.  At a pre-draft interview Benning mentioned that as being perhaps the most important overall characteristic, followed by skating.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They know that every player can hit the gym and beef up if they're committed. Not every player can gain high end skating, elite skill, and work ethic. Some of them can, but if they don't have it by 18 the odds are much lower that they'll ever gain those attributes. 

So where some teams pass on these undersized guys, the Canucks are saying no we can be patient with these guys and get them on a good workout program. If the skill and the heart are there that's more important than someone's weight.

The old regimes likely would have taken the guy with size and strength and hoped to teach them how to skate and work hard. That's alot harder to do and less likely to have results than simply getting a player on a diet and workout plan who already has that skill and work ethic.

Spot on Bobby.  Let's draft for what we cannot change (brains, character, speed, hand-eye etc) and develop the rest.

It's funny because while listening to interviews with various GM's some are after character and the things that are difficult to put your finger on while others think it's a bunch of BS

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Still not finding the feed but found an article that may point to reason - it appears it was something Chicago had hoped would happen and they may have thought was in their lap (e.g. that Vancouver would take Dobson).

Lots of teams were salivating over Hughes.  Few were in a position to draft him.  C'est la vie. :P

11 hours ago, BananaMash said:

I was born 6'2" and I haven't grown since.

Growing/gaining weight is just part of the liberal agenda and I don't personally believe in it.

I hope you appreciate what your poor mother went through carrying you to term and delivering you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not sure Zep. But Im starting to think we got the best player in the draft.... 

• Cheers 1