The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toni Utunen | D

thejazz97

23 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Well it is obvious that the Canucks scouts don't give a s**t about height.

I'm fine with that  (as long as it is not a goaltender).

Depends what you mean by height. DiPietro is only 6'0". Not huge when a lot of goalies are 6'3" to 6'5"

More scouting reports (courtesy FinnProspects.com):

– “Utunen is a prototypical modern defenceman with good skating, above-average hockey sense and decent physical play. The issue may be in the fact that he is not exceptionally good in anything, which is often required for a player his size.” – Miika Arponen

– “Utunen is solid defenceman all-round and he was the cornerstone of Finnish defence in U18 World Championship. However I think his size is an issue. He is pretty good at the own end but neither his offensive or defensive abilities really stands out enough to compensate his smallish size. He could play with more intensity too.” – Asko Huuki

– “Utunen is a stable defenseman whose biggest asset is his hockey sense. Gets the job done in all three zones and reads the game really well. Had an impressive rookie season in Mestis, logged quite a bit of ice-time.” – Marco Bombino

And lots of game scouting reports here:

https://finnprospects.com/player/toni-utunen/

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Cool. Another small guy in a huge division 

In a few years when these guys are ready to play in the NHL most teams will be smaller... 

None of these kids will be in the NHL right away... it's about predicting which way the NHL is going and building a team that way... and the game is moving more and more towards speed and skill...

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nilsson is proof size isn't everything....

as am I, WAIT no did I post that ? :blush:

I mean you said cause Nilsson and cause he, so, what I mean is, yeah nevermind.

FYI, liking the pick, seems like a solid option for the position he was taken.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

2.png Toni Utunen 

PLAYER FACTS 
  • Position 
    D
  • Height 
    5'11" / 180 cm
  • Weight 
    170 lbs / 77 kg
  • Shoots 
    L 
  • Contract
    20/21

PLAYER STATISTICS
S TEAM LEAGUE GP G A TP PIM +/-   POST GP G A TP PIM +/-
2014-15 2.png Tappara U16  Jr. C SM-sarja Q  7 1 4 5 10   |               
  2.png Tappara U16  Jr. C SM-sarja  30 7 17 24 16   |               
2015-16 2.png Tappara U18 “A” Jr. B SM-sarja  40 4 10 14 62   |  Playoffs  3 0 0 0 12  
  31.png Finland U16 (all)  International-Jr  8 3 6 9 4   |               
2016-17 2.png Tappara U18  Jr. B SM-sarja  0 0 0 0 0   |  Playoffs  4 0 0 0 2  
  2.png Tappara U20  Jr. A SM-liiga  39 1 10 11 10 12 |  Playoffs  2 0 0 0 0 -1
  2.png Tappara  Liiga  1 0 0 0 0 0 |               
  31.png Finland U17 (all)  International-Jr  3 1 0 1 0   |               
  31.png Finland U18  WJC-18  7 1 1 2 0 4 |               
  31.png Finland U18 (all)  International-Jr  20 1 1 2 10   |               
2017-18 2.png Tappara U18  Jr. B SM-sarja  0 0 0 0 0   |  Playoffs  3 1 1 2 4  
  2.png Tappara U20  Jr. A SM-liiga  0 0 0 0 0 0 |  Playoffs  6 0 2 2 6 3
  2.png Tappara  Liiga  11 0 0 0 0 0 |               
  2.png LeKi  Mestis  28 2 10 12 12 2 |  Playoffs  5 0 1 1 0 -2
  31.png Finland U18 “C” WJC-18  7 1 2 3 0 12 |               
  31.png Finland U18 (all)  International-Jr  25 5 8 13 14   |               
2018-19 2.png Tappara  Liiga  - - - - -   |               

TOURNAMENT STATISTICS
S TEAM LEAGUE GP G A TP PIM +/-   POST GP G A TP PIM +/-
2014-15 31.png Finland Selects U15  WSI U15  7 3 2 5 8   |               
2015-16 31.png Finland U16 “C” YOG  6 3 3 6 3 1 |               
2016-17 31.png Finland U18  Hlinka Memorial  4 0 0 0 4 0 |               
2017-18 2.png Tappara  Champions HL  2 0 2 2 2 3 |               
  2.png LeKi  Suomen Cup  3 0 5 5 2 0 |               
  31.png Finland U18  Hlinka Memorial  4 1 2 3 2   |           

Toni Utunen - 5’10”, 172 lbs

Some solid international performances for Finland once had Toni Utunen projected to go much higher in the draft. An underwhelming season offensively, however, has Utunen slipping down draft boards, to the point he might not get picked at all.

Utunen played in the second tier Finnish league, Mestis, putting up two goals and 12 points in 28 games. That was enough to lead all junior-aged defencemen in the Mestis, however.

Scouting reports paint a picture of a solid two-way defenceman, that plays very well defensively, limiting both his opponent’s time with the puck and his own mistakes. He lacks the dynamic skating ability to create offence off the rush and isn’t creative enough to create much in the offensive zone, but he’s capable at distributing the puck on the power play and has a decent slap shot that hints at some untapped offensive ability.

It’s not hard to draw a parallel to Sami Vatanen. Both were captains of their U-18 international squads and both played in a lower tier of Finnish hockey in their draft years — Utunen in Mestis and Vatanen in the Jr. A SM-Liiga. Vatanen, too, had an underwhelming draft year, managing just 10 points in 20 games in the Finnish junior league.

Utunen has great defensive awareness, but also has those two words that the Canucks love: character and compete. His leadership and willingness to battle and block shots in the defensive zone are attributes that will help him on his path to making the NHL. Combine that with his well-rounded game and Utunen could be a late-round steal.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

More scouting reports (courtesy FinnProspects.com):

– “Utunen is a prototypical modern defenceman with good skating, above-average hockey sense and decent physical play. The issue may be in the fact that he is not exceptionally good in anything, which is often required for a player his size.” – Miika Arponen

– “Utunen is solid defenceman all-round and he was the cornerstone of Finnish defence in U18 World Championship. However I think his size is an issue. He is pretty good at the own end but neither his offensive or defensive abilities really stands out enough to compensate his smallish size. He could play with more intensity too.” – Asko Huuki

– “Utunen is a stable defenseman whose biggest asset is his hockey sense. Gets the job done in all three zones and reads the game really well. Had an impressive rookie season in Mestis, logged quite a bit of ice-time.” – Marco Bombino

And lots of game scouting reports here:

https://finnprospects.com/player/toni-utunen/

For a fourth, I can definitely accept this!

57 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Cool. Another small guy in a huge division 

Teams that try and copy what every one else is doing are teams that end up behind the times when their draft picks mature.

The league is evolving to speed and skill and that is what we see today.