Sign in to follow this  
thejazz97

Toni Utunen | D

On 12/2/2018 at 9:26 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

whoa what year was that? and were you there?

Graves played for Vancouver from 1976 through 1980.  And yes, I did watch him play.

Im at thr game...first impressions of Toni is...well he hasnt had a shift lol

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

5 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I’m noticing our D is way too soft on pucks.  Big mistake not selecting Woo.  I predict the US wins the Gold, and we don’t finish even top four.  No way did Tim Hunter pick this team of marshmallows.  This is hockey Canada’s team.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I swear I’ve heard his name once or twice on TV. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

He has been stapled to the bench all game.  Seems to be the 7th man on team Finland for tonight.

15 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I thought I did too but Finland has a player named Virtanen and when they pronounce it, it totally sounded like Utunen to me.

Edit: the V was silent.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

I got tickets to the game late. I totally forgot about him. Didn't even think to try and make a note of watching him closely.

I guess it seems like he didn't even play if what you guys are saying is right. 

On 12/23/2018 at 4:16 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Graves played for Vancouver from 1976 through 1980.  And yes, I did watch him play.

Oh yeah I got Canuck fever in the '82 playoffs

• Upvote 1

There seems to be an inconsistency here. Some were taking about him being the captain for the Finns but how does he find himself stapled to the bench the entire game? 

On 9/28/2018 at 1:37 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

best hip checker we ever had

Hilliard Graves and Dan Hamhius were pretty good

edit.I see this has been mentioned

Edited by lmm
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

There seems to be an inconsistency here. Some were taking about him being the captain for the Finns but how does he find himself stapled to the bench the entire game? 

Finland is rotating there "C" around.

Utunen who is number 3 did not have a letter on his jersey in that game.  I watched him during warm ups as I was sitting behind Finland's goal, in this game Aarne Talvitie number 25 was wearing the "C".

In the video at 0:25 - Urho Vakkanainen and Henri Jokiharju were wearing the "A".  At 1:15 - Aarne Talvitie number 25 is wearing the "C".

Utunen did not play a shift that game.  I remember looking for him on the ice...even his D partner Antonii Honka saw only a few shifts but only on the powerplay.

11 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Finland is rotating there "C" around.

Utunen who is number 3 did not have a letter on his jersey in that game.  I watched him during warm ups as I was sitting behind Finland's goal, in this game Aarne Talvitie number 25 was wearing the "C".

In the video at 0:25 - Urho Vakkanainen and Henri Jokiharju were wearing the "A".  At 1:15 - Aarne Talvitie number 25 is wearing the "C".

Utunen did not play a shift that game.  I remember looking for him on the ice...even his D partner Antonii Honka saw only a few shifts but only on the powerplay.

So did that mean he didn't make top 6 or was it just for this game? 

Does anyone know where he played in the lineup in the other games? 

18 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

So did that mean he didn't make top 6 or was it just for this game? 

Does anyone know where he played in the lineup in the other games? 

After Boston loaned Vaakanainen and Chicago loaned Jokiharju, it certainly hurt Utunen's chances of making the squad.

Finland still needs to make one more cut as they are at 24 players and need to get down to 23.

Considering they have 2 extra D- seems like they will cut a D before boxing day.  Might opinion would be that Honka will be the one cut because of how many offensive PMD's Finland has. Jokiharju and Vaakanainen are Finland's PP quarter backs and likely Honka won't see any time, Utunen may be kept because of his defensive qualities.  Some twitter comments from some Finnish reporters have said Honka's defensive game has been lacking up to the WJC exhibition games, and in the two games he played was underwhelming.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

After Boston loaned Vaakanainen and Chicago loaned Jokiharju, it certainly hurt Utunen's chances of making the squad.

Finland still needs to make one more cut as they are at 24 players and need to get down to 23.

Considering they have 2 extra D- seems like they will cut a D before boxing day.  Might opinion would be that Honka will be the one cut because of how many offensive PMD's Finland has. Jokiharju and Vaakanainen are Finland's PP quarter backs and likely Honka won't see any time, Utunen may be kept because of his defensive qualities.  Some twitter comments from some Finnish reporters have said Honka's defensive game has been lacking up to the WJC exhibition games, and in the two games he played was underwhelming.

Thanks for your insight. It helps ppl like me who haven't really followed. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

ok, the finns have been trying to do it for years, and now they've done it. they've finally stumped me. vainionpaa? to a fly on the wall I must sound like I'm chanting religious incantations.

Watched the Finnish game.  Though Utunen held his ground well against the Swedes, but he did get hemmed in with his partner for most of the night in their own zone.

One criticism when he was drafted is that he tends to make bewildering passes while exiting the zone, or will skate himself into trouble by complicating things.  Good to see in this first game from the tweet above, he was actually very efficient.