The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toni Utunen | D

thejazz97

21 hours ago, danaimo said:

Errr Toni.  Not a good way to endear yourself to Canuck fans.  If you ever get to wear a Canuck jersey, you better play out of your skin.  Canucks fans have long memories.  Well done, enjoy this win.

Stop being a troll.  

Congrats to Toni on winning Gold. I have to say this as a cheap shot at Jim Benning...Time to trade this young kid!?!? Guess not, he wasn't the top D of the tourney like Forsling.

Best of luck on the rest of your season, and hope to see you at next years WJC Mr. Utonen!

19 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Congrats to Toni on winning Gold. I have to say this as a cheap shot at Jim Benning...Time to trade this young kid!?!? Guess not, he wasn't the top D of the tourney like Forsling.

Best of luck on the rest of your season, and hope to see you at next years WJC Mr. Utonen!

• Upvote 2

On 1/2/2019 at 8:59 PM, danaimo said:

Errr Toni.  Not a good way to endear yourself to Canuck fans.  If you ever get to wear a Canuck jersey, you better play out of your skin.  Canucks fans have long memories.  Well done, enjoy this win.

How dare he play as well as he could for his team!   The audacity to try and win the game!

Why would the Canucks want that sort of character on their team?!   Good call @danaimo, no place for players who have that commitment to winning in the Vancouver organization.   

giphy.gif

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

His role, and most certainly his ice time, has increased since coming back into the roster post the WJC.   He is even seeing some PK time which is VERY rare for a rookie teenager in Liiga.

Awesome, I'd like to catch more of his games. One of our prospects that I don't really know much about. 

50 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

His role, and most certainly his ice time, has increased since coming back into the roster post the WJC.   He is even seeing some PK time which is VERY rare for a rookie teenager in Liiga.

From watching the kid at the WJC, it's easy enough to see he's a future NHL D man.  He's got a good frame.  He's a PK guy.  His sees the ice very well, and makes a good first pass.  He has good hockey sense.  He skates well enough to add some offence.  It's nice we have him.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

An update on the sleeper pick.  Utunen is now playing in the second round of Liiga playoffs.  Per Ryan Biech:

Tappara, where 2018 5th round pick Toni Utunen plays, kicked off their Liiga Semi-Finals yesterday with a 1-0 win. The Canucks prospect appeared in all four games for Tappara in their quarterfinals sweep of Lukko, averaging 13:51 of ice time.

He has 3pts in 43 regular season games, and so far no points in 5 playoff games.  Though he's still 18 years old for a few more weeks.  A scouting report from a Finnish fan on HFBoards:

Today was the first game of the playoffs and the tempo was way up from the snoozy game I previously attended to. Coincidentally it was again against Lukko so there was some comparisons to be made.

Utunen played in the 3rd pairing and in the 2nd pk squad in a strictly defensive role. He was up to the task and played with confidence. Good mistake-free hockey against whoever, and usually his shifts ended when they cleared the puck or the forward group went to counter attack. He kept the play outside on rushes, kept his check near the crease, stripped the puck off the opposition in corners, and threw in one block and two successful body checks as well. He either tied the puck battles or won them, and I counted him losing only twice which forced their goalie to make a save. Drew a key penalty in the last minute that helped them ensure the 3-2 win by being first to the puck.

Secondly, two of his three offensive shifts (where he actually had the puck) started from their own end and during those he wristed the puck from the blue line, through the traffic for tips. One was tipped slightly wide and one went through everyone and hit the post. The third was a rink wide pass that had little mustard to it and got intercepted. His puck moving and shooting ability hasn't improved in these two months, as far as this sample size is to be judged.

In my eyes he has solidified the third pairing this season and does well with the ice time he gets. If he can get his puck moving, passing, and shooting abilities to the same level next season he'll be a good top4 for Tappara.

Seems like an Anton Stralman type if he ever reaches his ceiling.  Stralman at the same age had 18pts in 41 games in the Allsvenskan, but the next year he had 5pts in 45 games when he moved up to the SHL.  He played a second year in the SHL before making the jump to North America.  Utunen could be on a similar timeline, another couple years in the Liiga before he comes over to the farm team. 

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...