The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toni Utunen | D

thejazz97

Looks like he's a keeper and could make it in the NHL one day. Left side defense getting particularly crowded, but it's great to see some organizational depth.

(Edler)

(Del Zotto)

Hughes

Juolevi

Hutton

Pouliot

Brisebois

Rathbone

Utunen

• Upvote 3

2018-03-31 at Tappara - HIFK, U20 Bronze Medal Game by Asko Huuki

The smooth-skating defenceman got a primary assist and recorded over 30 minutes of ice time in a bronze medal game against HIFK. The game was settled in overtime and Utunen was unfortunately part of the losing side.

Utunen played solid game, but since he has spent the season playing the pro game, I would have expected him being much more dominant. He has pretty good puck-handling skills and he was really confident while carrying the puck. While he usually is solid in passing game, surpsisingly, he made many sloppy passes today. I would like to see him playing with more intensity and being more physical in the future. His shot also needs some improving.

Utunen reads the play well and his positioning is solid but I thought he gave bit too much open space for the opponents. While the defenceman is not especially flashy, he is offensively pretty good, he can keep the puck even in tight space and he usually makes the right decisions with the puck. His best part however is his skating. He is quick and especially his agility and first steps really stands out.

Interesting article:

https://finnprospects.com/player/toni-utunen/

Another solid skater, I like where JB is going with these picks.

Edited by J-23
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finns are excellent all around players, typically, they play great defense.  If you are chosen as captain of any Finnish team and are a defenseman, you are a very good hockey player.  I think Toni will be a Canuck within 3 years.

We have the following d players who are 23-25

Hutton

Pouliot

Stecher

Sautner

McEneny

Tryamkin

I predict Stecher, Pouliot, and Tryamkin will still be around in 2 years. Although I like Hutton and am holding out hope that he really steps up this year.

Hughes and Juolevi will be top 3 defensemen by then.  Edler will be gone, Tanev will be gone, Biega gone, MDZ gone. Gudbranson will establish himself as a solid 2nd or 3rd pairing dman who makes lots of room for the skilled d.

Brisebois will be a regular. Chatfield is over his head and will be in the AHL still. Brassard will be a career AHLer.  Gunarsson will not have the puck skills to last and will be back in the SHL. 

Woo, Utunen and Rathbone are the one's I could see making a real move on a roster spot in 2-3 years.  Woo possibly 1-2 years because of his size and he is a rhd.

We have depth.  2 high end guys.  Woo will be higher end than people think.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Isn't it kind of difficult to take a guy seriously when he says "If I’m Benning, I’m looking to offer a three-year deal worth around $15 million. The first year of the contract should be front-loaded, then the second and third years can carry less of a cap hit. That way, the Canucks won’t be tied up in cap space."

Fair enough :lol:

Still the possibility we re-sign Edler is higher than not IMO.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Isn't it kind of difficult to take a guy seriously when he says "If I’m Benning, I’m looking to offer a three-year deal worth around $15 million. The first year of the contract should be front-loaded, then the second and third years can carry less of a cap hit. That way, the Canucks won’t be tied up in cap space."

Agree completely, Often I defend journalists and semi-professional bloggers, but this is pretty bad. Pretty much everyone on CDC knows the basics of how the cap works. A blogger who does not know that much probably does not enough to be worth reading. And 5 million a year for three more years is too much anyway. I liked Edler, but he is at the age where you expect age-related performance decline. And three years from now, if things go well, Pettersson and Hughes will be on significant money contracts, not to mention whatever Boeser gets.

I might go two years at 5 million per year or maybe 3 years at 4 million per year. He probably wants 4 or 5 years (and, hey, Beagle is the same age -- 32 --, and he just got 4 years). I would not go for 4 years given Edler's injury history and back issues unless the cap hit is very attractive.

Back to Utunen:

5 hours ago, Analyst82 said:

I honestly believe this is a very underrated puck. I really think he will turn out to a very serviceable dman in this league. 

30 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How do you rate pucks?   

41Swnqjg-uL.jpg

Utunen is much better than a bag of pucks.

Actually, I like the pick. Never heard of him before the draft, but chances are he will give Canuck fans someone else to cheer for at the WJC for the next two years. And he probably has as good a chance as any 5th rounder of making the NHL. Maybe another Bieksa (also a 5th rounder) or Gaudette.

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Finns are excellent all around players, typically, they play great defense.  If you are chosen as captain of any Finnish team and are a defenseman, you are a very good hockey player.  I think Toni will be a Canuck within 3 years.

We have the following d players who are 23-25

Hutton

Pouliot

Stecher

Sautner

McEneny

Tryamkin

I predict Stecher, Pouliot, and Tryamkin will still be around in 2 years. Although I like Hutton and am holding out hope that he really steps up this year.

Hughes and Juolevi will be top 3 defensemen by then.  Edler will be gone, Tanev will be gone, Biega gone, MDZ gone. Gudbranson will establish himself as a solid 2nd or 3rd pairing dman who makes lots of room for the skilled d.

Brisebois will be a regular. Chatfield is over his head and will be in the AHL still. Brassard will be a career AHLer.  Gunarsson will not have the puck skills to last and will be back in the SHL. 

Woo, Utunen and Rathbone are the one's I could see making a real move on a roster spot in 2-3 years.  Woo possibly 1-2 years because of his size and he is a rhd.

We have depth.  2 high end guys.  Woo will be higher end than people think.  

Sounds about right...

Still hope Gunnarsson will be making wave though. He is very physical and I would like that.

23 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Actually, I like the pick. Never heard of him before the draft, but chances are he will give Canuck fans someone else to cheer for at the WJC for the next two years. And he probably has as good a chance as any 5th rounder of making the NHL. Maybe another Bieksa (also a 5th rounder) or Gaudette.

The 5th round has been very kind to the Canucks.......

1974 ) Mike Rogers ( 484 games )

1979 ) Dirk Graham ( 772 g. F.Selke winner, Capt Team Canada ).......sadly let go for nothing. ( who was the GM ? )

1981 ) Moe Lemay ( 317 g )

1985 ) Robert Kron ( 771 g )

1990 ) Gino Odjick ( 605 g )

1992 ) Adrian Aucoin ( 1108 g ) ( most goals in a season by a Canuck dman I think )

1993 ) Scott Walker ( 829 g ) ( lost on waivers I think )

2001 ) Kevin Bieksa ( 808 + g )

2004 ) Mike Brown (  407 g )

2012) Ben Hutton ( tbd )

2014) Gustav Forsling ( tbd )

Gaudette might be right up there ! Optimism is free !

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1