The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toni Utunen | D

thejazz97

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He wasn't that bad defensively hovered around 0 in his plus minus over 600 NHL games 

The similarity I saw was his speed and size reminded me of Ballard BUT BETTER! Oots looks good.

+/- doesn't necessarily reflect a good defenseman. Lol Ballard was shaky in his own zone at best. 

On 2018-09-28 at 1:37 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

best hip checker we ever had

I'm guessing you never watched Hilliard Graves. When he hip checked Orr his Boston team mates meated out their own justice in the following summer in a Boston bar. He was deadly with his hip check .

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I'm guessing you never watched Hilliard Graves. When he hip checked Orr his Boston team mates meated out their own justice in the following summer in a Boston bar. He was deadly with his hip check .

I was going to try to post a Ballard vid of a hipcheck,

there are 35 hipcheck video's of Ballard hipchecks on youtube. He nailed everybody Lol

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Graves is the best there ever was at the hip-check.  It’s no contest.  

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yeah, the thing about Graves and his hip check is that he was a forward and it was a major feature of his forecheck.  Defencemen (ask Bobby Orr’s teammates) hated Graves.  The fact that he was a ~20 goal scorer didn’t hurt either.

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Toni Utunen has been named to Finland’s U20 4 Nations roster.

DqreBa3WkAAl9h4.jpg:large

Be fun to watch kakko and see what he can do. Think he will potentially push for number 1 by the end of the year. He has some good fire power up front with him too. 

5 hours ago, cyoung said:

Be fun to watch kakko and see what he can do. Think he will potentially push for number 1 by the end of the year. He has some good fire power up front with him too. 

I've seen some reports saying if he were in NA, he'd likely be ranked #1. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/28/2018 at 1:37 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

One of the dirtiest checkers I remember.

Darius Kasparaitis. 

On 10/7/2018 at 11:48 AM, Fred65 said:

On 10/7/2018 at 2:11 PM, Alflives said:

Edited by CoolCanucklehead
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Toni Utunen moved down a level. Now playing for LeKi in the Finnish Mestis league ( 2nd tier/ level )

A bit discouraging but he will get tons more ice and opportunities. Hopefully he will get the confidence going again!

On 9/28/2018 at 1:37 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

He was pretty good, so was Hamhuis.  Our best hip-checking defensive team was Tracy Pratt and Robitaille - Pratt would straighten them up and Robitaille would come in underneath.  But our best hip-checker ever was Hilliard Graves, and he was a forward.  Other team’s defensemen absolutely hated him.  Picture a defender racing to the sideboards to be first to the puck, then picture a torpedo taking him out about thigh high - the results were spectacular.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

He was pretty good, so was Hamhuis.  Our best hip-checking defensive team was Tracy Pratt and Robitaille - Pratt would straighten them up and Robitaille would come in underneath.  But our best hip-checker ever was Hilliard Graves, and he was a forward.  Other team’s defensemen absolutely hated him.  Picture a defender racing to the sideboards to be first to the puck, then picture a torpedo taking him out about thigh high - the results were spectacular.

whoa what year was that? and were you there?

• 3 weeks later...