The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Elias Lindholm, Noah Hanifin to Flames for Dougie Hamilton, Micheal Ferland, Adam Fox

14 hours ago, tas said:

he'll force a trade to arizona to be with freddie.

there's something off-putting about those guys. something about grown men going by "dougie" and "freddie" ... I think seguin and benn might have been barking up the wrong tree when it comes to brothers sleeping in bunk beds. 

I have a feeling they call their parents mummy and daddy still. :sick:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'm always a big fan of non-hockey people / owners overstepping their GMs, Presidents, etc and making themselves the public / managing face of their franchise.  (how does on indicate sarcasm?)

Won't be surrpises in the least if there is a steady migration out of Carolina. 

That said I find it telling that Calgary and Peters went out and acquired both Hanifin and Lindholm - a pretty good indcation of what Peters thinks of both those players and pretty much a refutation of the idea that Hanifin is considered to have 'stalled', etc.

/s is how you indicate sarcasm.

I'm still on the fence about this deal, mainly because I think Fox could be the real deal and the best piece of the entire deal.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Weird I'm the only one who thinks this is a steal for the flames? 

I wouldn't say steal for the Flames, but I would say the Flames will probably come out on top in this one. They will survive on defense without Hamilton since they have a good group on paper there. Ferland is a loss on physicality but Lindholm will surpass his offense quite fast. Flames get younger in this deal. Unless Fox is an incredible NHL player, the Flames are ahead right now IMO.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I wouldn't say steal for the Flames, but I would say the Flames will probably come out on top in this one. They will survive on defense without Hamilton since they have a good group on paper there. Ferland is a loss on physicality but Lindholm will surpass his offense quite fast. Flames get younger in this deal. Unless Fox is an incredible NHL player, the Flames are ahead right now IMO.

Yea fair enough.

im just really high on Lindholm, think Ferland was situational in Calgary, (if anything this is the biggest loss for Ferland) and I think Hanafin at worst will be as good as Hamilton with the upside of more too

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

Weird I'm the only one who thinks this is a steal for the flames? 

It's a steal.

Absolutely. Lingholm and Hanifin are never going to be bad acquisitions. Great, young, solid players with above average mobility. When something is up in the room it needs to be fixed right away. Crazy good deal for Calgary. I bet Ferland and Hamilton are buds. Calgary just got better folks. Way better.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

Calgary got fleeced in this trade. What a horribly run organization. 

How so? They got a top 6 player and pretty much another Dougie Hamilton. Lol. If anything this was just a change of scenery trade. I guess you can give the advantage to Carolina. But for that to happen you gotta imagine Hanifin has tapped out on his potential already as a decent scoring top 4 guy and Ferlund needs to keep producing with a new team away from Gaudreau. Which is a lot to hope for. Carolina wanted to save some dollars, and stay competitive. They kinda did that. Calgary got a potentially cheaper Hamilton and a top 6 scoring winger. Neither side got a whole lot better or weaker.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

How so? They got a top 6 player and pretty much another Dougie Hamilton. Lol. If anything this was just a change of scenery trade. I guess you can give the advantage to Carolina. But for that to happen you gotta imagine Hanifin has tapped out on his potential already as a decent scoring top 4 guy and Ferlund needs to keep producing with a new team away from Gaudreau. Which is a lot to hope for. Carolina wanted to save some dollars, and stay competitive. They kinda did that. Calgary got a potentially cheaper Hamilton and a top 6 scoring winger. Neither side got a whole lot better or weaker.

I think Calgary ends up with a top pairing D and a top six center at the end of the day. Currently I like this trade for them, the wild card is Fox tho.

From Friedman's 31 thoughts:

2. I really don’t like taking shots at players who get traded. You’re gone, move on, let’s go. Dougie Hamilton was hit with personal criticism when dealt from Boston to Calgary, and now while en route to Carolina. Hamilton politely declined a request to address all this, not wanting to toss more gasoline on the fire.

The move out of Massachusetts definitely was a personality clash, with differing opinions on who was right and who was wrong. After making a few calls, this is not about who’s attending team slumber parties. This is about role. Hamilton did not formally request a trade, but there is confirmation there were discussions about his spot in the lineup. There is also the issue of brother Freddie. When he was traded, Dougie was openly upset and that bothered the Flames. There was agreement a move would be better for both sides.

The Flames wanted to re-unite TJ Brodie and Mark Giordano, which will happen. They felt Travis Hamonic would benefit from playing with a steadier partner, as opposed to Brodie, more of a jazz-musician freelancer. That would take Hamilton off the top pair, which didn’t thrill him. He also didn’t start last season on the top power play, eventually replacing Brodie midway through. That was another bone of contention. This was necessary for both player and team. Hamilton will benefit from Carolina: he hears everything. Less noise there.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-eyes-john-tavares-ufa-interview-period/

Edited by Brad Marchand

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

I think Calgary ends up with a top pairing D and a top six center at the end of the day. Currently I like this trade for them, the wild card is Fox tho.

I wouldn't necessarily classify Lindholm as a center although he can take faceoffs if he needs to, and I imagine they play him on the wing with Backlund and Monahan as their top 6 centers. They really needed a top 6 right winger too, right handed. Ferland was there cause he had solid chemistry with Gaudreau I imagine. They are a team loaded with left handed players. Frolik is left handed player playing right wing as well. Both of their top 6 centers are left handed. So essentially they had 6 left handed players in their top 6. Lindholm being right handed is a much needed shot. He is also 3 years younger than Ferland. I also wonder if this is a sell high thing on Ferland. Can he repeat his production from last year?

Calgary got another lefty on D though, and Carolina got another righty on D. So it's kinda weird from that angle. More deals to come from Carolina I bet. Skinner and Faulk are both still heavily rumored to be moved. They need that elusive top 6 center still. Teravainen was listed as center, but he took fewer than 50 faceoffs. Lol. Lindholm took near 800 faceoffs for them. So they lost 800 faceoffs and gained none back and for a team in desperate need for a center that's worrying. How sure are they Necas can play top 6 for them next year? That'd be a major gamble and generally nobody takes that risk, except Edmonton. All in all it's a fairly even deal imo. Calgary filled their needs better than Carolina did.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

Lindholm and Hanifin need $$$. The Flames are also softer without Ferland, and Giordana/Backlund/Frolik are another year older.

They also don't have a goalie...

Not worried about this team whatsoever as a division competitor

Agreed.  I don't think Calgary did poorly with this trade but I can't see it making them any more relevant.  Calgary fans were also putting Adam Fox on a pedastal.  Some are likely pretty pissed he's gone while others may be waiting to see if Lindholm and Hanafin can improve.  Both good players but I suspect the fanbase will turn on them quickly because of expectations inadvertantly set by the trade.

Just listening (no idea why) to HC@noon and the Leafs blowers - Damian Cox - wondering what Calgary is doing?  My favorite question out of Toronto, the self-styled #proper-build market ever since they won a draft lottery lol.  Probably the leafst informed hockey market in the country, hands down.

Apparently if you listen to 'analyticz guys', Cox says that Hamilton is a top 5 D in the NHL.

Love these phantom references to mystery numbers that make players like this so much better than people realize.

But the actual numbers?  Not as abundant as the references to them.

Still waiting to see these 'underlying' numbers that make Hamilton 'all that'.

Wadr to him, he wasn't even the best defenseman on the Calgary Flames - that was Giordano - hands down - by a longshot, let alone top 5 in the NHL.

Love the ironing of a Leaf-blower like Cox wondering what Calgary is doing.....

Why aren't they signing all the 35+ yr olds?